24 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Seriously - give Threads a try!!!  There is sooooo much positive stuff on there (in my case, LGBT+, "my side" political stuff, etc.)

Isn't it part of facebook?  I thought of creating a Mastodon account, but then figured mostly everything significant that is on social media eventually ends up on the news, considering so many news stories just end up being based on social media now that it is almost pointless unless I wanted news on the fly.  

I did use Nitter for a while, but they seem to have lost their ability to browse twitter.  Now I just wait till whatever big is happening on social media becomes newsworthy.  

Peeve: Read it once on the Internet, read it hundreds of times, and be prepared for thousands of videos regarding it 🤣

Edited by Istelathis
Almost forgot my peeve

Just now, Istelathis said:

I thought of creating a Mastodon account, but then figured mostly everything that is on social media eventually ends up on the news outlet,

Peeve: A lot of things on social media don't make it to "news" since social media has a lot of "opinions", and most news is far from "fair and balanced"! That's my opinion.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I tried that first, when it was being discussed here.  It had a much smaller reach, but that could be my own fault for selecting a smaller "federation server" or whatever. Posts propagate slowly / not at all depending on how you join. You know, since you use it!

Yes, like facebook, following groups is more fun than just being served up the central feed. You can see posts from all the different servers if you follow hashtags for topics or whatever.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

Isn't it part of facebook? 

Yep, it's under the Meta umbrella.

6 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

I thought of creating a Mastodon account, but then figured mostly everything significant that is on social media eventually ends up on the news, considering so many news stories just end up being based on social media now that it is almost pointless unless I wanted news on the fly. 

The actual news doesn't move fast enough for me sometimes, and they leave out a LOT of nuance. As someone who has a weirdo hobby of watching/listening to a lot of criminal and civil trials (including the hearings outside the presence of the jury), I can tell you the news is absolutely useless in their coverage of such things. I've seen them slack in coverage of MAJOR cases, let alone smaller ones without much of a national spotlight. Once the cases reach federal court, though, which some do, all audio/video coverage ceases (big sigh) and I've got to rely on reporters actually live tweeting or giving summaries of what's going on inside the room. Twitter is by far the easiest place to get that, though some reporters might (big might) post to a feed on a news blog.

Peeve: News coverage of live events in general is pretty terrible. I'm always scrambling to keep up with things.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: A lot of things on social media don't make it to "news" since social media has a lot of "opinions", and most news is far from "fair and balanced"! That's my opinion.

I think that is one of the reasons I avoid most social media, and just skim the news now.  I just don't have the time anymore, for most of my news I prefer tech and science articles now.  Previously I could spend hours on the Internet, just reading opinion after opinion, some I would agree with, others I would disagree with.. it became so involving, and the way people treated one another was pretty horrible.

Then trying to sort through opinions, and narrow down what is factual and what is not became almost impossible.  That would take forever, and at times trying to find the so called truth would just lead to more biased information.  Finding factual information on the Internet, has become a chore for a lot of topics. 

Not that it is any different with the news, I will read a news story, then read the comments, then do a search, and before I know it an hour or two has passed and outside of knowing a bunch of opinions I will not really know anything of significance.

Peeve: I am lost in a sea of conflicting opinions, on a boat with torn sails, and a rudder that was chewed off by a pesky shark 🦈

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

Then trying to sort through opinions, and narrow down what is factual and what is not became almost impossible.  That would take forever, and at times trying to find the so called truth would just lead to more biased information.  Finding factual information on the Internet, has become a chore for a lot of topics. 

This is true and a huge peeve also, which is why I eventually started following people on social media who actually went out into crowds with a camera and microphone. That doesn't work for every type of news unfortunately, but I got tired of hearing "and then this happened and thennn..." when something big broke out and instead, I was able to just watch it all unfold in real-time. And when you compare that coverage side-by-side with a more established news org reporting on the same event (usually at a safe distance) - massive difference.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Also: People still use Twitter?

It's still the number 1 site for breaking news and funny dog videos 🐶👍  

1 hour ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I have no idea what anyone is taking about anyway.

Scylla posted a link to a GoFundMe asking for $50,000 so she could set up a clinic to teach hairless dogs to speak 🤔 Sid accused her of begging and they started arguing and it turned into a 3-page Youtube video DJ clash 🥶 but the Moles deleted it all 😌

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

11 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Scylla posted a link to a GoFundMe asking for $50,000 so she could set up a clinic to teach hairless dogs to speak 🤔 Sid accused her of begging and they started arguing and it turned into a 3-page Youtube video DJ clash 🥶 but the Moles deleted it all 😌

So a typical day on the forums!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

1200px-Arm_&_Hammer_logo.svg.png

Peeve: Named after "Armand Hammer"! (The actor "Armie Hammer", a descendant/heir decided to slightly change his name.)

While I don't remember a lot about the Hammers, they were philanthropists. I saw some of the Armand Hammer art collection at a museum once.

3 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

This is TOTALLY FALSE, and an awful misrepresentation of what was actually posted.

We need to face the TRUTH here, or we are doomed.

My GoFundMe does emphatically not discriminate against dogs with hair.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is TOTALLY FALSE, and an awful misrepresentation of what was actually posted.

We need to face the TRUTH here, or we are doomed.

My GoFundMe does emphatically not discriminate against dogs with hair.

That discussion has gone to the dogs already, so no need to continue it. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Yep, it's under the Meta umbrella.

The actual news doesn't move fast enough for me sometimes, and they leave out a LOT of nuance. As someone who has a weirdo hobby of watching/listening to a lot of criminal and civil trials (including the hearings outside the presence of the jury), I can tell you the news is absolutely useless in their coverage of such things. I've seen them slack in coverage of MAJOR cases, let alone smaller ones without much of a national spotlight. Once the cases reach federal court, though, which some do, all audio/video coverage ceases (big sigh) and I've got to rely on reporters actually live tweeting or giving summaries of what's going on inside the room. Twitter is by far the easiest place to get that, though some reporters might (big might) post to a feed on a news blog.

Peeve: News coverage of live events in general is pretty terrible. I'm always scrambling to keep up with things.

Try YouTube. Depending on the specific trails you're interested in, you may be able to find more detailed coverage by actual lawyers who break down what's going on in the cases. The regular news frequently just gives a surface explanation.

My own interest in certain high-profile cases has been along political lines, but I've enjoyed learning how the New York court system and Supreme Court works in these cases.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Try YouTube. Depending on the specific trails you're interested in, you may be able to find more detailed coverage by actual lawyers who break down what's going on in the cases.

Believe it of not, I've found TikTok useful for this! There are some great "lawyer led" TT pages that explain various current events from a "real lawyer" perspective.

1 minute ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Try YouTube. Depending on the specific trails you're interested in, you may be able to find more detailed coverage by actual lawyers who break down what's going on in the cases. The regular news frequently just gives a surface explanation.

My own interest in certain high-profile cases has been along political lines, but I've enjoyed learning how the New York court system and Supreme Court works in these cases.

YouTube is generally where I watch the trials live (Law&Crime Network has a bunch!) if CourtTV's livestream is lacking in coverage, which sometimes happens when there are multiple trials happening at once. I also use Twitter alongside all that in cases that are fully public when there are a lot of court filings being published. Despite having worked in a law firm transcribing the damn things, reading motions and other court docs melts my entire brain. Legalese drives me nuts (there's another peeve), so I grab the "hitherto-less" TLDR of the documents from lawyers or legal experts who are following the trial. 

And speaking of trials - PEEVE - I had no idea the Rust trial already started, and I'm peeved because I have no idea if I'm mentally ready for all that. That's a sad one and it might be a bit TOO sad for me right now. I need something petty and ridiculous, methinks.

• Like 3

Peeve: People I know rl who hated crocs for years and suddenly find them fashionable. I've been a crocs fan for 15 yeeeeeeeears lol

I took the brunt of the ugly looks , poor taste comments, etc, etc. You're welcome. 😁

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Modulated said:

Peeve: People I know rl who hated crocs for years and suddenly find them fashionable. I've been a crocs fan for 15 yeeeeeeeears lol

I took the brunt of the ugly looks , poor taste comments, etc, etc. You're welcome. 😁

Did you know the story about how (then unknown) Crocs were chosen as the footwear for the movie Idiocracy? It's like, that movie predicted the future in so many ways!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Did you know the story about how (then unknown) Crocs were chosen as the footwear for the movie Idiocracy? It's like, that movie predicted the future in so many ways!

OMG - One of the best movies ever.

• Like 2