27 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Hasn't fermented fish been around for a couple thousand years?  Not that I'd eat it but someone must.

This guy always has me in tears with just about everything he say's.. Ricky Gervais put this guy through everything..

Here he is trying like 500 year, old sushi.. hehehe

ETA: Not sure why I remember it being 500 year old fish.. it might be a 500 year old tradition instead..

I know it's old fish though.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Wonder if @Orwarhas any 9000 year old fish in the cellar?

9000 years ago my cellar would have been under water, the entire valley used to be a lake, hehe.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Peeving my tiredness and having to deal with 2 church services today!

(Normal Sunday + Christmas Eve tonight)

In about 2 hours I'm going to a brunch that has around 70 people in one house.. It's just too early for this kind of thing on a Sunday morning..

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

There was a time I had a lot of  volunteer jobs in the church.
My personal record stands at 4 services during a December 24. The normal Sunday survice and three masses at Christmas Eve and two times coffee with the dean in between services. And than on the two Christmas days (NL is one of the countries that celebrates with two days) two more to go. Those were the days.

Because of the abuse scandals in the church I quitted all those jobs and haven't set foot in a church for many years.
So that peeve solved my time problem on Christmas eve for sure.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Me leaving immediately after arriving and finding 70 people in one house

We used to host an annual party every fall.  We started early and continued late into the night, in order to accommodate various schedules for people.  We would typically have 100 or so people attend, throughout the entire thing, though seldom more than about 50 in the house at one time.

My husband is very extroverted and he loved mingling with everyone.  It was a big chore for me to plaster on the smiles and be a proper hostess, trying to to chat with everyone at least a tiny bit. It usually took a couple of days afterwards to mentally recover.

We haven't had one of those since the fall of 2019, before Covid.  I don't think we are going to restart the tradition.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Orwar said:

Err, no. Stockfish was one of Scandinavia's main exports throughout the middle-ages, and it can last for years. Fish can also be made to last for a very long time via salting, smoking, graving, or pickling (we've got herring jars in the cellar that are around 10 years old and still fine to eat, just the other week I ate herrings from a jar that we made in 2015 - no modern, synthetic preservatives involved). Besides, a fair amount of fish during the medieval period was sold alive in barrels and slaughtered when they were to be cooked, especially to supply castles and monasteries that were further inland. 

I was specifically talking about Medieval peasants, who wouldn't have bought imported fish. The upper classes, merchant classes, clergy and monasteries definitely ate fish. 

This whole discussion of what people ate depends on where people lived, their economic statis, the time of year, and how crops had faired.

Cookbooks started to be a thing when printing became widely available, so not until the early Renaissance. One was written by a wealthy merchant for his young wife, but most were for the cooks of the upper classes. They were vague in some ways, saying "cook until done" and "season to taste" because they assumed cooks would know how to tell when food was done and how their employers liked their food.

If a family were peasant farmers, they likely had a cow or a couple goats, so they would've had milk for butter and cheese and could have a calf or some kids (the goat's offspring) that could be slaughtered. Chickens, rabbits and pigs aren't too hard to feed and raise too. Fruit, veggies, and meat were preserved.

Documented evidence shows that most peasants didn't eat much meat, but mostly ate vegetables, beans and grains. I don't know if stomach contents from hundreds of years ago would show whether they also ate eggs and dairy products, but I think they had these too. Thus, peasants ate a largely, but not exclusively vegetarian diet. The upper class, merchant class, and clergy ate more meat and fish.

People who lived near the ocean and rivers also ate more fish, eels and shellfish. Fermented fish was a style of preserving fish in some places, but not everywhere. Salting and drying was more common, and salt was readily available in coastal regions.

Peeve: that I don't have my Medieval Kitchen cookbook, though excepts can be found online. 

29 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

We used to host an annual party every fall.  We started early and continued late into the night, in order to accommodate various schedules for people.  We would typically have 100 or so people attend, throughout the entire thing, though seldom more than about 50 in the house at one time.

My husband is very extroverted and he loved mingling with everyone.  It was a big chore for me to plaster on the smiles and be a proper hostess, trying to to chat with everyone at least a tiny bit. It usually took a couple of days afterwards to mentally recover.

We haven't had one of those since the fall of 2019, before Covid.  I don't think we are going to restart the tradition.

That is waaaaaaay too many people for me. Weirdly, I can handle huge venues packed with hundreds of people (concerts, shows, clubs, bars, etc.) - as long as there's space and I don't have to socialize with them all. Very small areas (homes, small venues, etc.) packed like that, though, plus having to socialize - nah.

I mayyyyy or may not have dipped out like that once at a baby shower I was invited to at some tiny-looking venue. Drove an hour into Queens, found the place, realized parking sucked because way too many people, pulled into a store parking lot elsewhere, called my buddy in PA - hey you wanna hang out today? Cool, pick me up in a few hours. I'll run home and change out of this froo froo crap and catch a train, lol.

It just would've been way too awkward for me. Now had that have been in one of those giant party venues, I might've given it a shot.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

In my religious family, 2 services per Sunday was the norm rather than the exception. Between them and the typical Sunday dinner it had/has me shaking my head as to who was actually having the required day of rest. Something tells me it is not supposed to be that much work when you need the rest of the week to rest up from a Sunday!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

That is waaaaaaay too many people for me. Weirdly, I can handle huge venues packed with hundreds of people (concerts, shows, clubs, bars, etc.) - as long as there's space and I don't have to socialize with them all. Very small areas (homes, small venues, etc.) packed like that, though, plus having to socialize - nah.

Peeve: If I had to deal with that crowd, I'd have to use one of my "coping tools":

- Hang out with the smokers / drinkers (but I don't smoke or drink anymore)

- "Check out" (be very high, don't do that anymore)

- Connect with the dogs / cats instead

- "People Watch"

- Take notes on a computer project (this was before phones)

- Be inappropriate (feed my need for attention and push people away at the same time)

etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Peeve: All the pages of talking about food... I no longer have any desire to make Christmas dinner tomorrow. Some of you eat some really gross stuff. 😛

I just got back from the Brunch.. My Avocado Egg salad was a hit.. When we got there, people were saying they were waiting to try it.. I didn't really think anything of it when I said that I could make that and bring it.. But I guess people were really looking forward to trying it.. Then people were like, you have to try this egg salad.. then people were asking if they could take some home..

I made a huge batch of it so I was like. If anyone would like to take some home,please help yourself, because we won't get around to eating it at home..

I was just really glad that they liked it..  Also, I use the sweet mini bell peppers in there.. One of them must have turned spicy, because people were complimenting me on that little touch of spice they get once in awhile..

I was like omg I bet one of the mini bells were hot.. They were like no it's a good thing!

It was actually a really nice brunch and  even with the amount of people there is was a nice roomy log home and really very relaxing.. we were one of the last few to leave..

A really good note , I used my largest Tupperware  for my egg salad and none was left when we were getting ready to leave.. So that made me really happy. :)

It was a really big batch too.. hehehe

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

For those close to water some fish like carp or similar (yuck).

You missed out, trout, eels, pike, and of course, salmon.

Salmon used to be peasant food, as it was cheap, come the salmon run, it's "raining fish" and all you need is a bucket to catch them in.

12 hours ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

ergot

Ergot fungus infects cereal crops, grown on low lying DAMP land, like the fields on one side of a nasty little colonial town called Salem MA.

If you were a peasant in central or Northern Europe I’d bet you’d have very little bread, as we intend it. It was probably rye bread if you were fortunate enough to get your hands on some flour.

About 1/3 of the fields surrounding any mediaeval village would be planted with cereal crops, the three-field-crop-rotation system.

The village Miller doubled as the village tax collector, since most of the tax would be paid in crops, the Miller's wife usually acted as the brewmistress for the village pub, which also operated as a cookshop in some cases, a farmer might take a pig to slaughter, there's more meat than he and the family can eat before it spoils, so you sell it to the miller's wife, and she sells it to the other villagers.

When Henry 5 was doing his march through France, in 1415, he passed through a town, which surrendered, the price of surrender they paid was thousands of loaves of BREAD, for his troops According to the chronicles, the standard expected rations for troops on the march in the 15th C. were 2lbs of bread, 1lb of meat, and a gallon of beer per man per day.

Even vegan if you want to call it that way, in the sense that they had little to no meat of any kind or animal products like milk or cheese.

Where do you get this nonsense from, dairy farming was common, especially in places with thin or poor topsoil, where arable farming wasn't any good, you keep animals that eat the grass, and you eat the animals. Chalk downland is a classic example, up on the chalk downland the topsoil's less than 2 inches thick over the chalk, useless for most arable crops, so you keep sheep and goats and cows.

Little to no salt or spices.

Sea salt was a staple, and all the stockfish people used as a base for soups and stews had tons of salt in it, in fact you had to SOAK the stuff for 24 hours to get enough salt out of it to eat it, and spices were one of the biggest imports by Venetian merchants from the Middle East, into European markets.

And in the winter, well, you slaughtered 90% of your pigs in November, and turned them into pork by-products, that you LIVED on through the winter, until Spring brought you a nice crop of veal, and lamb, you only need one Ram per flock, so a lot of lambs were surplus

Why do you think most European countries have their own versions of "pig intestine stuffed with chopped pig" and salted pig, smoked pig, dried pig, etc.

Speaking of meat.

Guess what the French nickname for the English was during the Hundred Years War.

"Rosbifs", it means "Roast Beefs", because they thought that was all we ate over here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Salmon used to be peasant food, as it was cheap, come the salmon run, it's "raining fish" and all you need is a bucket to catch them in.

Ergot fungus infects cereal crops, grown on low lying DAMP land, like the fields on one side of a nasty little colonial town called Salem MA.

About 1/3 of the fields surrounding any mediaeval village would be planted with cereal crops, the three-field-crop-rotation system.

The village Miller doubled as the village tax collector, since most of the tax would be paid in crops, the Miller's wife usually acted as the brewmistress for the village pub, which also operated as a cookshop in some cases, a farmer might take a pig to slaughter, there's more meat than he and the family can eat before it spoils, so you sell it to the miller's wife, and she sells it to the other villagers.

When Henry 5 was doing his march through France, in 1415, he passed through a town, which surrendered, the price of surrender they paid was thousands of loaves of BREAD, for his troops According to the chronicles, the standard expected rations for troops on the march in the 15th C. were 2lbs of bread, 1lb of meat, and a gallon of beer per man per day.

Where do you get this nonsense from, dairy farming was common, especially in places with thin or poor topsoil, where arable farming wasn't any good, you keep animals that eat the grass, and you eat the animals. Chalk downland is a classic example, up on the chalk downland the topsoil's less than 2 inches thick over the chalk, useless for most arable crops, so you keep sheep and goats and cows.

Sea salt was a staple, and all the stockfish people used as a base for soups and stews had tons of salt in it, in fact you had to SOAK the stuff for 24 hours to get enough salt out of it to eat it, and spices were one of the biggest imports by Venetian merchants from the Middle East, into European markets.

And in the winter, well, you slaughtered 90% of your pigs in November, and turned them into pork by-products, that you LIVED on through the winter, until Spring brought you a nice crop of veal, and lamb, you only need one Ram per flock, so a lot of lambs were surplus

Why do you think most European countries have their own versions of "pig intestine stuffed with chopped pig" and salted pig, smoked pig, dried pig, etc.

Speaking of meat.

Guess what the French nickname for the English was during the Hundred Years War.

"Rosbifs", it means "Roast Beefs", because they thought that was all we ate over here.

Sounds..grueling!

IMG_9001.jpeg

15 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Speaking of meat.

Take it easy, untwist your knickers and have some wine it will help with your digestion sounds like your stomach is upset after someone pissed on your porridge lol 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

Take it easy, untwist your knickers and have some wine it will help with your digestion sounds like your stomach is upset after someone pissed on your porridge lol 

Everyone has hobbies. 

You "p*ssed* on one of mine when you started with the "how do you know he's the King? He's not covered in sh*t" version of Mediaeval History.

Would you like to know about Edward III's pay cap law from the late 1340's, to stop contract ploughing teams charging more than 10 pence a day to plough farmers fields after the Black Death" claiming that 1/3rd of the population dying meant they had to charge more. He passed the law ending the "Free Market" because it threatened to price farmers out of business, and cause a famine the following year.

Like I said, we have hobbies.

• Like 2

Peeve: In my disappointment at not having a Christmas day $L 50 gift card from Salt & Pepper, I forgot that Alycia had already spent all her S&P gift cards and that a lovely lady had given her 3 gift cards she didn't want. Alycia had $L 750 she could take off the price of a LaraX doll set. Persephone has $L 750 and Evan has $L 150 in gift card credit. I've had a bunch of store credit and gift cards to use on new clothes, yet for a moment I was sad that I didn't have $L 50 more. Lol

Actually, on several issues I was focusing on small things I thought went wrong and forgetting several good things that happened. ❤️ 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Merry  *****ing Christmas.

Peeve: I miss waking up Christmas morning and my former landlady and I saying "Merry F**king Christmas" to each other. This was a tradition we created, along with watching as many versions of "A Christmas Carol" as we could find on TV and me making oatmeal with apples, cinnamon, brown sugar and butter on Sunday and Christmas mornings.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, FelicityPage said:

Whatcha cooking for Christmas?

A gobbler, an oinker, a southern brown rice casserole that does not use brown rice, some sweet Hawaiian rolls, a cauliflower/broccoli "medley" (steamed) with melted "Mexican" blend shredded cheese for the kids, scalped (scalloped) potatoes, cornbread dressing with fresh herbs (mainly fresh rosemary), and gobbler gravy. 

And for dessert, homemade southern pecan pie and cheesecake.

YUM! YUM!

a8d7b1ede8fe5e46df8d0c56697ec9f5.jpg

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 5