I didn't love the SNL clip -- I think the basic idea, that there is a kind of unbridled brutality just beneath the surface of British "primness" and class-consciousness, is a good one (although not exactly novel, either), but the execution was predictably and repetitively slapstick.

Everyone has different tastes, and that's of course entirely valid, but I personally think Emma Thompson is a pretty amazing woman. She's probably best known, I suppose, for her more recent appearances in blockbusters like the Harry Potter series, but she's a superb Shakespearean actress, and her work in things like Howard's End and Sense and Sensibility is simply wonderful.

I think she is also very funny (watch her as Beatrice in Branagh's version of Much Ado about Nothing), but not in a Hugh Laurie / Stephen Frye kind-of-way. She's best at a sort of understated, thin-lipped irony -- which is why I think she's so good in adaptations of Austen. She's also an accomplished writer (she won Academy Awards for both her acting and her screenplay of Sense and Sensibility) and a philanthropist who has championed environmentalism and other progressive causes, both things I also value.

I haven't seen Leslie Jones in a lot of things, but what I have seen I certainly didn't hate. She exudes a likeable personality, anyway.

But, as I say, YMMV.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
39 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

SNL is for stoned people staying up too late on a Saturday night...

Maybe? I've never been a fan, although there have been occasional moments of brilliance.

Peeve:  First of all, @Luna Bliss,  I feel very called out right now.

Peeve:  Second, @Scylla Rhiadra, it is hard to laugh at that Girl at Bar skit because that response is all too common in SL and RL.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Lol, my usual experience is more like the "Can I have ur numba?" MadTV skit. Though, if a guy actually said "the back of your head is ridiculous!" and told me to "work that updo," I'd likely be more open to chatting.

It's always been a peeve that guys don't use more humor. That actually works on me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
3 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

SNL is for stoned people staying up too late on a Saturday night...

Maybe? I've never been a fan, although there have been occasional moments of brilliance.

I've been a fan, especially when they make fun of the dancing orange man.

But...to be more specific...sometimes they get awfully silly...like how people get when they partake in certain substances...or stay up waaay past their bed time.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Peeve:  Second, @Scylla Rhiadra, it is hard to laugh at that Girl at Bar skit because that response is all too common in SL and RL.

23 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Minus the "Pretending to be an ally" thing. Mostly. But yeah.

You might like this :D 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: When people lack a sense of humor, "You're better than that."

ETA: Obviously, anyone who says "I'm better" than anything, doesn't know me.

PEEVE!

Peeve: I was not able to find a better version of this brilliantly funny sketch from Chewing the Fat.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Today's peeve - there was a sudden storm this afternoon for about 5 minutes...I'm not sure if lightning actually hit my home, but there was a crazy flash in my living room and the thunder sounded like a bomb had gone off 😬 and then my BT Smart Hub died with no lights at all...so I had to ring the BT engineer and tether my mobile to my laptop to carry on working...getting a new hub delivered tomorrow, but was a lot of fuss I could have done without! At least it didn't frazzle all my electrics though 9_9🌩️

• Like 5
  • Sad 3