The closest I come to making sweets is cornbread, which everyone that has my cornbread say's, it's like cake.. hehehe

I don't make that short hard cornbread that leaves crumbs.. Mine's nice and fluffy and bonds together nice with a cake like texture.. Good for soppin up stuff on your plate.. hehehe

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

It's a tart.

Oddly enough, 'taart' is Common Dutch for both cake and pie. Yet, here in Limburg, there's also 'vlaai' (vloai/vla als the locals call it), which is more like pie. I think vlaai is etymologically related to the English 'flop', as in cow flop (koeienvlaai).

image.png.39ed5114b12495ab1f3ea6826da93b75.png

Gooseberry flop from the Bishop's Mill bakery.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:
47 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Take any "cake mix" (except Angel Food), add 2 eggs and 1/4cup oil, and you can make cookies!

In the past few years, so many "recipe" hacks have been appearing online for using a box of cake mix. :) Looks like you have them memorized. 

My mom taught me that one more than 25 years ago. I think you bake them at 350 for close to 10 minutes. Works great for the Lemon cake mix and Spice cake mix!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I think vlaai is etymologically related to the English 'flop', as in cow flop (koeienvlaai).

Growing up in Texas, a "Cow Pie" was something you would not want to eat.

26 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Oddly enough, 'taart' is Common Dutch for both cake and pie.

That settles it for me, at least!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Cornbread is the best way to sneak a cake into the middle of a savory dish. Far better than hiding a scone (blah blah blah biscuit) in with some chicken.

The biggest difference from cake, like a vanilla cake or something like that, is using corn meal vs cake flour and nowhere near the amount of sweetener..

Cake will take like 2 cups of sugar plus the extract, where cornbread will take a 1/4 cup of sugar. I substitute sugar with raw unfiltered filtered organic honey because it's so much better of a tasting sweet and it's not processed sugar..

So I only use around an 1/8 cup for a regular batch otherwise it would overtake and be more as cake than a bread.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:
41 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Cornbread is the best way to sneak a cake into the middle of a savory dish. Far better than hiding a scone (blah blah blah biscuit) in with some chicken.

The biggest difference from cake, like a vanilla cake or something like that, is using corn meal vs cake flour and nowhere near the amount of sweetener..

Yeah, in the South where I grew up, "corn cakes" and "corn bread" were mostly the same thing.  Neither was usually sweet.

Corn bread could be VERY savory, I liked it best baked with cheese and jalapenos.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: We "all" (mostly) use the same or similar words, with common origins, to mean different things!

Peeve (enjoyable) : We (royal, just me) "all" (you, not me at all) use (abuse) the (you) same (homonyms) or (this, but not that) similar (different) words, with (presumed) common (peasant) origins (local & family), to mean (wicked) different (better) things! (scorn laugh)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yeah, in the South where I grew up, "corn cakes" and "corn bread" were mostly the same thing.  Neither was usually sweet.

Corn bread could be VERY savory, I liked it best baked with cheese and jalapenos.

I prefer the savory type.  I also like my grits with cheese and not syrup.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It makes for some of the best batter..  I make some good poppers, which is what we call cheese and jalapeno's in batter.

It's great for hush puppies and battered fish and deer..  I'm starting to think about getting into the kitchen now!!  hehehe

Have to wait until they polish off the veggie stew i made the other day first, or it'll go to waste.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

You definitely didn't grow up in the state of Dixie. And according to this article, neither did anyone else in the south. LOL

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2020/06/what-dixie-really-means/613585/

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Peeve (enjoyable) : We (royal, just me) "all" (you, not me at all) use (abuse) the (you) same (homonyms) or (this, but not that) similar (different) words, with (presumed) common (peasant) origins (local & family), to mean (wicked) different (better) things! (scorn laugh)

* swoons *

My peeve today is moths 👎

Is the South recognised as the best place for food in America? The best dessert I EVER had was chocolate and bourbon pecan pie 😍 Yum yum, pig's bum :P In the UK though, pie normally means something savoury, like a meat or fish or cheese filling...

My favourite cheesecake is salted caramel :P 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rat Luv said:

Is the South recognised as the best place for food in America?

It is if you happen to live in the south.  Otherwise, you'll get plenty of disagreement. Personally, I'm not a fan of fried foods, gravies, or very sweet things, all of which are favorites in the south with many people.  But that's just me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

It is if you happen to live in the south.  Otherwise, you'll get plenty of disagreement. Personally, I'm not a fan of fried foods, gravies, or very sweet things, all of which are favorites in the south with many people.  But that's just me.

I think the one thing that shocked me was sweet tea - I honestly couldn't drink more than one sip, it put my teeth on edge 😬 I can only speak for New Orleans, but I thought the food there was amazing, like pecan pie, fried alligator, gumbo and jambalaya :P I don't think there are any cajun restaurants over here.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Is the South recognised as the best place for food in America?

As Rolig mentioned, it depends on where you are from originally and what sort of food you like.  I am not a "breaded & fried food" type of gal, so I have more difficulty eating in the South that in other areas of the country.

I'm not sure there is any particular dish from the South that I'd say I "love", though there are some that I "like".

10 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

I think the one thing that shocked me was sweet tea - I honestly couldn't drink more than one sip, it put my teeth on edge 

I grew up in the Midwest -- northern part of the state of Missouri -- and that is not considered "the South" by anyone.  Yet, I grew up on sweetened ice tea.  Never heard of it being served any other way until I moved to Colorado -- I did not travel much before that.  I have to sweeten my ice tea, though the one time I had pre-sweetened ice tea in the South, it was way too sweet.  Now I order it unsweetened and sweeten it myself.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Is the South recognised as the best place for food in America? The best dessert I EVER had was chocolate and bourbon pecan pie 😍 Yum yum, pig's bum :P In the UK though, pie normally means something savoury, like a meat or fish or cheese filling...

As the other 'murrikans are saying, it depends on where you are from. I have lived on both coasts and everywhere in between, north and south. I've been to nearly all of the lower 48. Where's the best food? You can find great food all over the States! You can find some really questionable crap, too, but show me a country where that isn't true. The USA is huge, of course, and we do have distinct regionalisms. People who point that all we are is fast food, well... don't know what they are talking about. We have fast food, of course, and some of it is darned delicious! :) I do like some Southern food, and NC BBQ is to die for. Miami and Cuban food? New Orleans? GA peaches? Pecan pie? The list goes on. But take me to the SW for some REAL Tex-Mex, or even better the SW food of Santa Fe! Fish tacos in CA. ... And of course where I now live, maple syrup on just about everything. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Peeve: People thinking that the only foods to eat in the south are either deep fried or overly sweet.

Y'all are eating at the wrong places!

southern-cuisine-cooking.png

I'd eat the Low Country, but the rest of it still isn't to my liking.

I have had Creole in the South, and even though I like shrimp and sausage, I don't like most southern dishes made with them.  I did have one or two Cajun dishes in New Orleans that I liked, but I didn't care for most of them. Mostly that is because I am super picky and odd about some things.  I can't stand tomatoes cooked into anything.  While I like celery, onions, and bell peppers raw, I can't stand any of those cooked.   Rinse, repeat - that is the gist of my issues with most food that I tried when we were in New Orleans and Louisiana.

Different folks, different likes, etc...

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

Not by me.. I lived up north in Chicago.. The only thing I miss about up there is the food. So much great food up there that I can't find here..

Some places try and come close, but not like my old home..

• Like 2

I took a quick peek into the Adult section of the forum today.  It's not a place I usually visit, but, hey, I had a few extra minutes.  The pictures were very nice.  I checked out a topic that I thought was about back sides.  I do love a nicely shaped back side.  It was not about backsides at all (there was one VERY nicely shaped backside).  Fine.  I read further and my knee-jerk reaction was what the heck is wrong with you people....  that reaction was quickly amended by what the heck is wrong with me?  Who cares what people like?  I read further because curiosity.  There was some debate and a bit of back and forth, back and forth, back and forth as one would expect in forums in the adult section.  I weighed all the arguments and thought about what was being discussed and I decided.

Yes, liking baseball is a kink.  It's slow and boring and I don't care who plays, but it's your kink, so if you like slow and boring, enjoy.  I won't try and stop you or tell you your kink is evil.  I'll just shake my head quietly in judgement.

I am not at all sure how I feel about chocolate sauce in wetsuits.

Peeve:  It takes me entirely too long to come to conclusions.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4