20 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The previous gym that I used, was 4 miles away and on the other side of a busy highway without any easy pedestrian way there.  And, NO, a bike is not really safe on that particular route either.

Yeah, it is easy to justify the car for that.

Peeve:  People that judge others without knowing anything about their situation.

Through a foot of snow would probably be a fun bike ride/walk, too.  Or in the 90 degree weather.  Or the thunderstorm heading our way.

I'm sure I'll get some lip about using Fahrenheit instead of Celsius.  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Through a foot of snow would probably be a fun bike ride/walk, too.  Or in the 90 degree weather.  Or the thunderstorm heading our way.

I'm sure I'll get some lip about using Fahrenheit instead of Celsius.  😂

There's nothing wrong with using Fahrenheit or Celsius, just let people know which units you're using.

I just checked to see that 40 degrees Celsius is 104 Fahrenheit, which is not unusual for Sacramento summer weather. We're used to it, so most people have homes with some kind of air-conditioning

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I just checked to see that 40 degrees Celsius is 104 Fahrenheit, which is not unusual for Sacramento summer weather. We're used to it, so most people have homes with some kind of air-conditioning

Times like this, I wish we had air-con as standard in the UK too 😬 But we'd never switch it on for 10 months 🥶

• Like 3

When you pick a decent fantasy-esque name for your character that sounds good and then months later a popular fantasy content venue uses the exact same one and now people will probably think you just stole it from there.

(What are the odds of the name Phendris being used so liberally? Seriously?!)

Edited by cariboustag
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/20/2022 at 2:44 AM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

"Thoughts and prayers" = not caring.

I don't think anyone is fooled by that formula anymore: we all know it's literally meaningless.

I've been making it a habit to stop and pray when I hear/see it's needed. Then I tell them that I just prayed. You're right though, so many say it but never take action. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Peeve: People who toss their dogs out in the yard during the day while at work so their dogs whines and cries and barks ALL DAMN DAY LONG in 90F+ heat.

Last summer it was one neighbor, this summer it's their next-door neighbor. 

CONTORL YOUR DAMN DOG if you don't want the pound to be visiting. Every town has noise ordinances that cover barking dogs disturbing the neighbors' peace!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Peeve: People who toss their dogs out in the yard during the day while at work so their dogs whines and cries and barks ALL DAMN DAY LONG in 90F+ heat.

Last summer it was one neighbor, this summer it's their next-door neighbor. 

CONTORL YOUR DAMN DOG if you don't want the pound to be visiting. Every town has noise ordinances that cover barking dogs disturbing the neighbors' peace!

My girl husky wanted to be outside all day yesterday, in the heat. Same with today.

It's pretty confusing, but at least she's quiet out there.

She apparently has 3 modes: Too cool to want to be inside, Too moderate / rainy / stormy / ?? to want to be outside, Too hot to want to be inside. And she'll cool her withers in the pool once in awhile.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
Wither thou goest, goest also shall my dog
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

My girl husky wanted to be outside all day yesterday, in the heat. Same with today.

She apparently has 3 modes: Too cool to want to be inside, Too moderate / rainy / stormy / ?? to want to be outside, Too hot to want to be inside. And she'll cool her whithers in the pool once in awhile.

That is not what is going on here. 

5 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

That is not what is going on here. 

I understood that. 

I apologize for piggy-backing on your post with something that was not strictly related to what you posted.

If that irritates you, I'll take special precautions not to do it in the future.

Nobody wants a "fresh" pet peeve just from a forum reply!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I understood that. 

I apologize for piggy-backing on your post with something that was not strictly related to what you posted.

If that irritates you, I'll take special precautions not to do it in the future.

Nobody wants a "fresh" pet peeve just from a forum reply!

No, it isn't that. It's a me problem where sometimes I feel like I'm being stalked and pounced on by an overgrown lion cub. Sometimes it annoys me a little, sometimes I get freaked out, sometimes I freak out because it annoys me.

It's not your fault. Just one of the results of years of abuse.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Modulated said:

Today its people who are hell bent on making everything political, even the most mundane of things.  Its tiring, soooo tiring.  Just stahp.

Also the heat. Can't wait for fall weather, I am officially over summer.

If we could skip the end of July, all of August and go straight into September, I'd be happy. 👍

• Like 2

4 hours ago, blissfulbreeze said:

I've been making it a habit to stop and pray when I hear/see it's needed. Then I tell them that I just prayed. You're right though, so many say it but never take action. 

That's certainly the issue for me. Praying for someone struggling with some sort of adversity -- and telling them that you are doing so -- can, I'm sure, be beneficial.

But if that's as far as it goes, then all one is doing is passing the buck to God, and waiting for Him to do something about it. And that's not the way (at least to my mind) Christianity is supposed to work. Christ didn't just pray or sound sanctimonious and holy: he did things. He made change, in real time, to people's lives.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

That's certainly the issue for me. Praying for someone struggling with some sort of adversity -- and telling them that you are doing so -- can, I'm sure, be beneficial.

But if that's as far as it goes, then all one is doing is passing the buck to God, and waiting for Him to do something about it. And that's not the way (at least to my mind) Christianity is supposed to work. Christ didn't just pray or sound sanctimonious and holy: he did things. He made change, in real time, to people's lives.

I agree. Many have become lazy in helping out fellow people. Self absorbed. 

However, there are also many doing things behind the scenes, out of the spotlight, and their deeds are not seen. 

Peeve: When there's way too many people outside in the neighborhood being loud and obnoxious.

Edited by blissfulbreeze
Added peeve
  • Like 3

Does anybody really want to hear that others are praying for them?  I certainly don't.  Usually when I hear it, I conclude that said prayer really meant, "I don't want to hear any more about it. This concludes my obligation to listen. Have a nice day".

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

She apparently has 3 modes: Too cool to want to be inside, Too moderate / rainy / stormy / ?? to want to be outside, Too hot to want to be inside. And she'll cool her withers in the pool once in awhile.

Our huskies would go out and lay in the yard, while it was snowing, and end up mostly covered by the snow.  We had people that would contact us because they were concerned -- and a few even called Animal Control on us.  Some were fine once they were educated on Huskies; others continued to insist we were abusing them -- even when you couldn't drag them in if you tried.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

This week's peeves: Cockroaches and landlords

This weekend my housemate saw hundreds of roaches on the floor of our garage.(There have been a few for months, but this time it was extreme.)  I refused to look. Yesterday morning she saw one in the kitchen, so she called our landlady to tell her we need an exterminator. I thanked her for calling and told her I don't have the emotional bandwidth to deal with this problem now, especially arguing with our landlady about it.

And there was argument as usual, with the landlady wanting to just spray outside, but that's not going to be enough if there's an infestation in the garage. The landlady said there must be some food in the garage, but this is not true. Damp cardboard is food for roaches.

Thanks to my housemate taking charge, we're going to have an exterminator fumigating the house next Tuesday, which means we have to get all our food out of the house or inside closed plastic containers before then, then stay out of the house that day.

Today our landlady called me to say she was coming over in 30 minutes to look at the house to see if there's a rat trap in the garage that could be drawing the roaches. She also wanted me to tell the exterminator on Tuesday to be sure to spray the rafters in the garage too, to get the spiders up there. I told her I'm not going to be the contact person for this and I don't want to continue talking about it because I find it very stressful. I'm tired of dealing with the gardner and repair people for her. I had to deal with the gardner who wanted to steal my housemate's work tools and with the very nice plumber after that when the water heater was leaking all over the garage. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

4 hours ago, kali Wylder said:

Does anybody really want to hear that others are praying for them?  I certainly don't.  Usually when I hear it, I conclude that said prayer really meant, "I don't want to hear any more about it. This concludes my obligation to listen. Have a nice day".

I interpret "I'll pray for you" as, "I don't approve of you or your lifestyle, which has led to your situation, so I'll pray you come to your senses and be more like me."

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

This week's peeves: Cockroaches and landlords

This weekend my housemate saw hundreds of roaches on the floor of our garage.(There have been a few for months, but this time it was extreme.)  I refused to look. Yesterday morning she saw one in the kitchen, so she called our landlady to tell her we need an exterminator. I thanked her for calling and told her I don't have the emotional bandwidth to deal with this problem now, especially arguing with our landlady about it.

And there was argument as usual, with the landlady wanting to just spray outside, but that's not going to be enough if there's an infestation in the garage. The landlady said there must be some food in the garage, but this is not true. Damp cardboard is food for roaches.

Thanks to my housemate taking charge, we're going to have an exterminator fumigating the house next Tuesday, which means we have to get all our food out of the house or inside closed plastic containers before then, then stay out of the house that day.

Today our landlady called me to say she was coming over in 30 minutes to look at the house to see if there's a rat trap in the garage that could be drawing the roaches. She also wanted me to tell the exterminator on Tuesday to be sure to spray the rafters in the garage too, to get the spiders up there. I told her I'm not going to be the contact person for this and I don't want to continue talking about it because I find it very stressful. I'm tired of dealing with the gardner and repair people for her. I had to deal with the gardner who wanted to steal my housemate's work tools and with the very nice plumber after that when the water heater was leaking all over the garage. 

Sounds like a nightmare! 😬 

I don't know if it's the same where you are, but under UK law a landlord has to pay for everything when it comes to pest control, including alternative accommodation and expenses while you're out of the house due to a fumigation...might be worth asking your housemate to look into that. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Sounds like a nightmare! 😬 

I don't know if it's the same where you are, but under UK law a landlord has to pay for everything when it comes to pest control, including alternative accommodation and expenses while you're out of the house due to a fumigation...might be worth asking your housemate to look into that. 

It's similar in California law. We told her months ago that there were roaches in the garage, but she did nothing about it except maybe give us a can of roach spray. My housemate reminded her that she is legally required to pay for an exterminator, and that if she was not going to hire one, my housemate would and would then take that money off her rent. She said our other option is that none of the 3 of us would pay our rent until this problem is fixed. The landlady got upset at that and said she didn't appreciate being threatened with legal action. 

I've had to contend with her passive and irritating text and phone messages before, and I'm just not in a place emotionally where I can do it now. For instance, she told my housemate that she had made an appointment with the exterminator, but then couldn't give my housemate a confirmation # to check if she had. When she called them, they told her the landlady had asked for an estimate, but had not made an appointment. Apparently the appointment was lost? 🙄 My housemate made her own appointment, which she later canceled after our landlady confirmed that she had actually made one for next Tuesday. 

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

19 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I interpret "I'll pray for you" as, "I don't approve of you or your lifestyle, which has led to your situation, so I'll pray you come to your senses and be more like me."

I don't get many people saying they'll pray for me. What I do see is people online asking for positive energy or saying they'll send positive energy. I figure this is the New Age and pagan equivalent of praying for people. 

Honestly though, it takes energy to actually send positive energy and or do magical work for other people, and I don't have that much to spare most of the time. I may pray for people I know and care about, but I'm not going to do it for every person asking for help with their problems in a Facebook group. (Sometimes it's because they can't find their keys. 🙄)

If someone says they'll pray for me or send me positive energy, I'll take it, - but I don't encounter many who say it with a judgemental, holier-than-thou attitude.

• Like 2

About praying...I think it depends, if I could practically do something to help, I wouldn't just say "Oh, I'll pray for you instead!" I was raised Catholic, so I grew up praying for people anyway, it never seemed unusual. But for example, I worked with someone a few years ago and we stayed in touch, even though we probably only meet once a year or speak 3-4 times a year, and she's had a major eye operation this week...and is a Buddhist...so I said "sending you cosmic lucky vibes 🍀". It's just a way of letting them know you're thinking about them, but I do try to wish positive energy their way. I know if I was in that situation I'd be scared, and maybe the words wouldn't mean much, but I'm not sure what to say when I can't do anything physically to help the outcome..."hang in there" seems worse to me? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 3