1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Usedta be, if you dug a hole deep enough, it went "to China"! 

(Must have been a "global" problem.)

Maybe from across the pond, but not from northern Europe! China is just over yonder, past that micronation Russia. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

ignoring fiddly things like wind resistance and the inevitable collisions with the walls of your hole

It turns out these are Bad Things To Ignore. Your scenario, enabling the traveler to step off gently at the other end of the hole, is all well and good. But because of air resistance (we'll assume you jumped really really accurately down the center of the hole and don't collide with the sides), you'll slow to a stop a little way past the center of the earth. You're going to have a very long upward climb to get to China. Or Chile, depending on your starting point.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Your scenario, enabling the traveler to step off gently at the other end of the hole, is all well and good.

That wasn't my scenario. I'm the yo-yo theory.  🙄

Actually, if you want to start debating arcane points, the only way to avoid hitting the sides of the hole (and therefore becoming a bloody mess) is to drill it along the Earth's rotational axis. Otherwise, we'd have to expand our list of Bad Things To Ignore to include the planet's rotation. As you travel down a straight hole in any other direction, conservation of momentum should force you to try to follow a curved path and therefore keep slamming into the walls. 

BTW, purely from a statistical perspective, if you bore a hole through the center of the Earth you are most likely to end up someplace in the ocean, which covers 70% of the planet's surface.  Among other things, that means that if you ever emerge, you will be very wet.  There's a major peeve for you.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

That wasn't my scenario. I'm the yo-yo theory.  🙄

Actually, if you want to start debating arcane points, the only way to avoid hitting the sides of the hole (and therefore becoming a bloody mess) is to drill it along the Earth's rotational axis.

I was filling the Coriolis effect under the general "not worrying about that here" part  .. tidal forces would probably turn you to jello.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

So I am at the sl19b early and I see one of my favourite stores. They are giving out the usual. Credits. I am cool with that. Go to pay with credits. I can't. Why give us freakin credits, when we can't even use them here? Like that is so pointless. 

I bet if you try to return something, they say "Returns are only for Store Credit"!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I was filling the Coriolis effect under the general "not worrying about that here" part  .. tidal forces would probably turn you to jello.

Is anti-Black Hole? Instead of spaghettification, is Jell-o-fication (hopefully Bill Cosby-free Jell-O). 

..what flavor is the Jell-O?

20 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

So I am at the sl19b early and I see one of my favourite stores. They are giving out the usual. Credits. I am cool with that. Go to pay with credits. I can't. Why give us freakin credits, when we can't even use them here? Like that is so pointless. 

The way I typically see it work at the Shop & Hop events is:   Give credits or gift card, but said credits or gift card can only be used at the store, for non-sale items, rather than actually at the Shop & Hop store.

:(

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The way I typically see it work at the Shop & Hop events is:   Give credits or gift card, but said credits or gift card can only be used at the store, for non-sale items, rather than actually at the Shop & Hop store.

:(

I mean it is annoying af, but the whole thing is. There was a couple of things I wanted. Now I gotta wait until I have money to go back and get them. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

And too often the credits or gift card are not enough to actually buy any single item at regular price in the store.  So the "mandatory free gift" that LL requires at these events is really just a "discount" for those stores.

I mean and instead of putting on the board that credits can't be used. Like it makes you excited you see something you like. You have to learn the hard way. Heck you can't even gift it. Like if I can't use credits. Maybe leave a disclaimer on the board.

3 hours ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

If you look at from the store owner's point of view, any gift is supposed to be an incentive to buy something from that store. I'd rather have store credit that forces me to go to their main store to look around than an old item that may not represent their current best work. I personally prefer store credit or a gift card to a gift item the store owner has chosen, generally. Then I can decide which item I want for free or discounted. I found at least 2 stores last December that I'd never been to before and was then happy to buy more from their main store.

LL has told the stores they can't have the same item year after year, yet a couple stores still do that. They've also told them they can't have a gift card or store credit that's not enough to buy anything, yet some still do this too. Then there are some stores that won't bother to lower themselves to participate in Shop and Hop, because despite complaining of the high fees for participating in other events, they don't want to be associated with the riff-raff who do participate in this fee-free event. 

EsclateD has in the past let you use the gift store credit gift on the discounted items at Shop and Hop. Some stores have discounts at their main store while the Shop and Hop event is going. Some let you buy discounted items at the event or use the store credit on regularly priced items in their main store. Even if you buy nothing at the event and only pick up a few gifts, it lets you see what kinds of items creators are making and selling in SL.

3 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

If you look at from the store owner's point of view, any gift is supposed to be an incentive to buy something from that store. I'd rather have store credit that forces me to go to their main store to look around than an old item that may not represent their current best work. I personally prefer store credit or a gift card to a gift item the store owner has chosen, generally. Then I can decide which item I want for free or discounted. I found at least 2 stores last December that I'd never been to before and was then happy to buy more from their main store.

LL has told the stores they can't have the same item year after year, yet a couple stores still do that. They've also told them they can't have a gift card or store credit that's not enough to buy anything, yet some still do this too. Then there are some stores that won't bother to lower themselves to participate in Shop and Hop, because despite complaining of the high fees for participating in other events, they don't want to be associated with the riff-raff who do participate in this fee-free event. 

EsclateD has in the past let you use the gift store credit gift on the discounted items at Shop and Hop. Some stores have discounts at their main store while the Shop and Hop event is going. Some let you buy discounted items at the event or use the store credit on regularly priced items in their main store. Even if you buy nothing at the event and only pick up a few gifts, it lets you see what kinds of items creators are making and selling in SL.

Well why not put a disclaimer that states that it can only be used at the store? I mean if they want you to go to their store. But no they don't and that is what bugs me. I mean at one point in time they allowed you and that was nice. But now, they don't even let you know you can't do that.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

the only way to avoid hitting the sides of the hole (and therefore becoming a bloody mess) is to drill it along the Earth's rotational axis.

...me facepalms. You're right, I'd completely overlooked that one. So, our hole can only be the Polar Express.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lindal Kidd said:

...me facepalms. You're right, I'd completely overlooked that one. So, our hole can only be the Polar Express.

But as the poles shift slightly, you'll have to drill new holes or enlarge the old hole! 
Just be sure to aim for the "right hole".

I truly despise gift vouchers and gift cards.

These "gifts" basically tell the recipient "I like you, but not enough for me to actually go out and physically buy, wrap and present you with a surprise something you might like. So here's some cash to fob you off with instead".

Bleh. 

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

But as the poles shift slightly, you'll have to drill new holes or enlarge the old hole! 
Just be sure to aim for the "right hole".

That one's not a serious worry.  The magnetic poles wander quite a bit, but the Earth's rotational axis is pretty stable. Over the long haul, yes, it precesses slightly because of the tidal effects of the sun and the moon.  That means it points to a slightly different place in the sky, relative to the plane of the ecliptic.  With respect to the Earth itself, though, the rotational axis is is essentially unchanging, so our "Polar Express" tunnel -- thank you, Lindal -- is a good long-term investment (all other ridiculous things being equal).

• Like 2