If a store bother's with a gift, they should make damn sure it's a good gift because for many if not most people it will be their first product from that store and if its crappy they won't come back.

It's astounding how many creators overlook that simple logic.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I have met many creators like this, basically call you ungrateful for raising your concerns for the item. And they ultimately ban you from shopping at their store and marketplace. Creators cannot take constructive criticism if their depended on it. 

Yep, SL has changed. Consumer culture.

• Like 1

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

Consumer Culture isn't bad at all, you seem to be on this kick of how its bad for the world. But how I see it, it is far better than consumer culture in RL. I mean nothing was harmed in the making of the item. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, Sammy Huntsman said:
2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Consumer Culture isn't bad at all, you seem to be on this kick of how its bad for the world. But how I see it, it is far better than consumer culture in RL. I mean nothing was harmed in the making of the item. 

I'm speaking to this whole obsession with acquiring things, whether in SL or RL.  It's some kind of obsession in the western world. How much junk can we pack into our RL homes or inventories to fill a void. It is a type of addiction. 

Heading off to live with an aboriginal Mayan tribe in Mexico who knows what life's really about, goddess willing.

• Like 1

I'm speaking to this whole obsession with acquiring things, whether in SL or RL.  It's some kind of obsession in the western world. How much junk can we pack into our RL homes or inventories to fill a void. It is a type of addiction. 

Heading off to live with an aboriginal Mayan tribe in Mexico who knows what life's really about, goddess willing.

I mean if you don't like it. Why are you a part of it? 

Just now, Sammy Huntsman said:

I mean if you don't like it. Why are you a part of it?

Once I started to feel like I was managing an assembly line I stopped being a part of it.  I was only ever here for the creativity.

• Like 1

Once I started to feel like I was managing an assembly line I stopped being a part of it.  I was only ever here for the creativity.

But you are talking about consumer culture in general. Why be a part of it and buy items, if you don't like them? Why not make your own things? Go off grid? You seem to be a hypocrite. You are basically saying it's bad, but actively participate in it .That is like someone who says down with capitalism, on a new iPhone in a Starbucks, wearing the latest designer clothes. It makes no sense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Then why is your store still up on the MP?  NVM...hypocrisy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

But you are talking about consumer culture in general. Why be a part of it and buy items, if you don't like them? Why not make your own things? Go off grid? You seem to be a hypocrite. You are basically saying it's bad, but actively participate in it .That is like someone who says down with capitalism, on a new iPhone in a Starbucks, wearing the latest designer clothes. It makes no sense. 

You don't seem to get it....it's the EXCESS that makes it a problem, not the fact that somebody buys or sells.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:
5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Then why is your store still up on the MP?  NVM...hypocrisy.

I hope that if anybody buys my stuff it's because they love nature, and not because they're a shopping addict.

• Confused 2

I hope that if anybody buys my stuff it's because they love nature, and not because they're a shopping addict.

I am a shopping addict, I should just buy your stuff out of spite and to further my shopping addiction. I also love nature too. So that would be right up my alley. Lol 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I am a shopping addict, I should just buy your stuff out of spite and to further my shopping addiction. I also love nature too. So that would be right up my alley. Lol 

Calling all shopping addicts who love nature!!  Come buy Luna Bliss's stuff to annoy the hell out of her!!  lol

• Haha 2

Maybe we need a green Eco-Friendly badge that creators can put on their SL items to show how environmentally conscious they are, kind of like "Organic", "GMO-free" and "Fair Trade" labels on RL products? Would that make virtual consumers feel better about wasting so many pixels with their shopping addictions?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

Buying/trading goods and services is not bad -- it's only when it's taken to excess that I consider it a problem.

This whining about not getting enough free stuff, or good enough free stuff, is what got to me.

For the comments of the previous couple of days, I think it started with my peeve about Fameshed.  The complain was not about not getting enough free stuff or good enough free stuff, but about the bait-and-switch feeling of their anniversary display.  It FELT like a gift giving area -- had the word THANKS and the items were gift-wrapped -- but it was just a pile of items from the creators at a cheaper price.

Granted, some of the later comments did discuss quality, but those comments were minor tangents.

• Like 1

Peeeeeeved.

I have just had FIVE attempts to say that I like someone's picture in the vanity threads hidden by the forum software.

FIVE.

My last failed attempt literally said "It's lovely. I like it a lot."

Honest to god . . .

ETA: Two of my posts just got "approved."

I'm disappointed: I wanted all five to appear!

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I have met many creators like this, basically call you ungrateful for raising your concerns for the item. And they ultimately ban you from shopping at their store and marketplace. Creators cannot take constructive criticism if their depended on it. 

Exactly! I wouldn't call this great workmanship and if it was done deliberately I haven't seen anyone wearing such a thing. That tells me that no one of this designers "groupies" ever pointed out that this was a terrible design choice.  

string.png

Pet peeve: When people mangle words or phrases so badly, you're not sure what they mean; and you're certain they don't know what they mean! An additionally compound peeve is when they get put out, that you helpfully link them a definition of the possibly intended term. 

In recognition of this, I suggest that a great name for a male devil alt for @Madelaine McMasters would be "Persay".  The idea is, "Persay" would be "the Devil you don't know."

Peeve: When the only response someone has to a post is to correct grammar or spelling and doesn't see how anyone can see that as anything other than rude. It's the equivalent of standing up and shouting "look how ignorant this person is".  

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian

1 hour ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Peeve: When the only response someone has to a post is to correct grammar or spelling and doesn't see how anyone can see that as anything other than rude. It's the equivalent of standing up and shouting "look how ignorant this person is".  

Can you believe it, I was thinking about this type of reply instead:

"Hi! By 'persay', do you mean the Latin term 'per se'? I don't mean to tease you but, some people may not get your intended meaning."

Let me know what you think. Still rude?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Can you believe it, I was thinking about this type of reply instead:

"Hi! By 'persay', do you mean the Latin term 'per se'? I don't mean to tease you but, some people may not get your intended meaning."

Let me know what you think. Still rude?

Definitely better,  though I probably would have just scrolled past it and not commented at all since the way she used it was pretty clear what she meant.  But I get the grammar police have a hard time with that.

• Like 1