What were your favourite places that have gone and add any info you may have on why they disappeared and who built them

RangiUtu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Mine are Midnight Reflections, Sleek Beach, Lesbian Paradise which was a hoot, Bora Bora (several sims of desolate lovely beach.)

What are some of yours that you miss? Does anyone know who built these lovely places and if they're still in SL? They were all high traffic when they went away so I know it wasn't that. Thanks for your contributions and participation. This is part of SL History and I think it's important and interesting to know the stories behind the scenes. 

Cheers! :)

Memories and artistic genius:

Edited by RangiUtu
  • Like 5

• Big Bang Island - a 4-sim adult beach resort. Bars, clubs, boats, beaches, and and perhaps the biggest tree in Second Life, with tree houses for clubs and bars.
  • Kimikia Ying's Ying Industries in Babbage Palisade. Beautiful attention to detail.
  • ARIA airport and vicinity. Half a dozen mainland regions in a consistent style.

My second choice for a favourite sim which has gone must be 1920s-New-York.  A labour of love by Jogi Schultz, painstakingly recreating 1920s Lower Manhattan in Second Life. The photo here shows Pearl Street, New York 1926. Take a look at a rl photo from the period to see how accurate it all was; I was astonished and disappointed when it closed  May 2018 - 

new york.png

Edited by AnnieBrightstar
  • Like 3

My third choice is the wonderful Petrovsky Flux. The ever changing evolving Steampunk build by Cutea Benelli and Blotto Epsilon. So different to other builds around, it was a regular feature in travel blogs, for example Draxtor April 6 2014 referred to it as, " the best sim on the grid."  But then it seems, its owners, the Spencer Museum of Art decided to let it go.

A campaign was started to keep this unique installation and a meeting at the sim was held,  allowing me to rub virtual shoulders with Second Life luminaries including Strawberry Singh and Ebbe Linden among others. 

For a while it was reprieved but then it was allowed to  slip quietly from existence in 2016.

Petrovsky flux.jpg

petrovsky.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Years ago, I rented in a lovely hillside community on Kusawa and the region of Teslin was just east/southeast as a lovely park.  Both regions are still there but seem bare and unloved now but they were spectacular in 2008-09, think the beauty and coziness of Bellisseria before Belli existed.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Leora Greenwood said:

Years ago, I rented in a lovely hillside community on Kusawa and the region of Teslin was just east/southeast as a lovely park.  Both regions are still there but seem bare and unloved now but they were spectacular in 2008-09, think the beauty and coziness of Bellisseria before Belli existed.

Always sad when good places disappear. Of my favourites above, it appears only the owner of Midnight Reflections is still in SL with a lovely homestead classic cuddle sim with dance posts, much like Ode/  

• Like 2

I have some lovely memories of places, many of which I don't remember the names now, and don't have the old landmarks. There was a Japanese town with an overground train and a cute play area. 'The Squat', an awesome small drum 'n base club.   I do have a handful of old pics of my top favs though. Looking back on them I think if they were still around without having changed they would look really dated. Nostalgia and memory are a wonderful thing but doesn't keep up with the times. But I cherish mine none the less and Second Life has giving me many good memories.

1) Riverwalk Cliffhouse Arts and Attraction was one of my favourites. It was around for quite a few years.  I was really sad to see it close. It had a nice artwork display and places to sit, play chess or have dinner:

2) Midnight Reflections was a fav of mine too

3) Goatswood was a beautiful Victorian roleplay area, wonderful for photography:

Unfortunately I don't have, and don't remember,  the creator names or info on why they closed (except Midnight Reflections was owned by Luna Bliss). Whoever they were thank you for the joy you brought me:)

image.png.484f070d0285eb2b487d43f740d9301c.png

image.png.8f275bc6d95daebb72ae6501a292b32e.png

image.png.ac713174794e79d141cb6eac8ada3f65.png

• Like 4

I used to love a sim called Africa? It had wild roaming animals, different terrains, rivers, a waterfall and balloon tours! Maybe it was moved? My link just stopped working one day. I had some amazing conversation with people whist we rode the currents of African sunsets. 

• Like 5

On 11/6/2022 at 12:07 PM, Leora Greenwood said:

I did some digging in my inventory but could not find any exterior shots of the setting or houses there but I did find that it was called Emerald Mountain Village.

I very much miss Caledon's "Iron Cloud", as well as the Mesa 5 sims. Mesa 5 was an incredible sci-fi build for a group of builders reffered to as "the Greeblers". Both of these places have inspired me to become a builder as well, and the Iron Cloud was what inspired me to create my own airfield and space station.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I miss the Rhapsody Isles sim; it disappear during one of my SL breaks, so I never found out what happened. Sadly, I just have the LM, but no pictures.

I also loved FROST (picture 1), by *alirium*; the creator is still around in the MP, and hopefully she will return soon. Another missed sims that just vanished were Free Your Nature (picture 2) and Lost Eden (picture 3). 

FROST.png

FREE NATURE.png

LOST EDEN.png

• Like 1

I often went to the AKK horse sims. There was a lot to do. Barrel races, jumping. There were always visitors and I made a lot of friends there.
As I write this I feel a bit sad. So many nice places are gone and so many places are often empty now.

The AKK horses are still for sale  :  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Renaissance Island/26/195/26 
You will find a small shop here with AKK horses.

• Like 2

On 10/17/2022 at 4:55 PM, RangiUtu said:

Mine are Midnight Reflections, Sleek Beach, Lesbian Paradise which was a hoot, Bora Bora (several sims of desolate lovely beach.)

What are some of yours that you miss? Does anyone know who built these lovely places and if they're still in SL? They were all high traffic when they went away so I know it wasn't that. Thanks for your contributions and participation. This is part of SL History and I think it's important and interesting to know the stories behind the scenes. 

Cheers! :)

Memories and artistic genius:

I loved Midnight Reflections.
Couple of years ago I found a rebuild of this place during a sailing trip. I did not landmark the place and could not find it anymore. Maybe it was already gone.

Bora bora was great too.

Edited by Ina Fairport
  • Like 2

So many! I loved Dark Neko Mall and also The Twisted Wheel, which was based on a RL 1960s UK housing estate with a soul club...I think it was made by Slate McLeod? The houses on that sim were lovely, they had lava lamps and swirly carpets 🤩..sadly, there are only a few pics online which don’t really do it justice in my opinion!

My favourite club was Transmission, I think it was run by two Dutch guys – I discovered so many bands and songs through that place! 🎵 Also, Black Maria, which was run by a Japanese guy, I can’t remember his name, but they did loads of punk/goth/alternative clothes and hair. Virtual Attire had some great neko outfits, I think the owner left SL to go to Inworlds (remember that?) and then quit altogether…a shame, you could win some on the lucky chairs or Midnight Mania and pick up last month's releases for 99L sometimes…

There are loads, so many I’ve forgotten the names of. I also remember the Occupy Wall Street sim and when VICE magazine had a bar (it was always empty) xD

On 11/7/2022 at 8:35 PM, Evangeline Arcadia said:

There was a Japanese town with an overground train and a cute play area. 'The Squat', an awesome small drum 'n base club. 

I think I remember those! Did the Japanese one have a dress shop and freebies too? One of the freebies was a No-Face from Spirited Away avatar, and a poofer that could fill the sim with sheep particles or rain dollar bills…might have been another place though…this thread is making me all nostalgic..wasn't there a techno/jungle club called something like Poison or Toxic that had WICKED lasers and particles? 🤩

• Like 2

I used to love The Weather Channel for surfing and ski-ing or just sunbathing, there was always someone to chat with.

Am I remembering a place called Serenity Falls correctly? There were rentals there but it was mostly mountains with a huge waterfall and lots of quiet places to sit. Very tranquil and pretty.

• Like 1

I can't recall the builders name, but the same person that built the SL version of the Falling Water house by Frank Lloyd Wright had created another build I just loved. It was a store but it was a giants sand castle, complete with giant beach ball and beach chair beside it. I spend hours there from time to time as the whole build was enchanting and lovely.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I have nothing as nice to share as other people have posted, just a memory that makes me wistful, and makes me wish I had at least gotten the person's name, so I could tell them how much I liked the little place they had made.

I was looking at random places in the Search thingy, I was about 3 months old in SL, and I found a parcel that was probably no more than 16 by 16 meters, deeply wooded, with a creek running through it. It was someone's tiny little pocket of forest they had reproduced from memory from a place they had once found in Ireland and used to visit because it was peaceful and beautiful, but which had disappeared due to the ravages of time and land development.

All I'm left with is the smell of irony and the same feeling they probably had when their little parcel's IRL counterpart got swallowed up and disappeared.

I never even learned the name of the place, I'd just hit the "Quiet Spot" button in my Favorites and go there when I needed to. My loss. If I remembered who they were or knew how to find them I'd try to find a way for them to have that place again.

• Like 2

Does anyone else remember Cheeky Tiramisu? That's going back a decade maybe.

A full region with a cafe (that above named) set in a wooded, undulating landscaping with walks around it and some rocky coastal walks. There was a Japanese style communal bath ( and a good number of cherry blossom trees, so I guess the owner was Japanese) and an underground, hidden cave system with another hangout spot in it. The entrance to that was through a waterfall on the coast; I had been loitering around the region for six months before I discovered it by accident.

It was one of the first places I enjoyed just chilling out in SL. Not many people visited, most of the time I was alone but occasionally another one or two would be there. Sometimes we even said hello while sat at the cafe, lol.

Then one day I went there, or rather didn't because the region had gone. I was sad. Even the few screenshots I recall taking of it seem to have vanished from my PC.

I would love to have a region where I could create a place for people, like that.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.