What were your favourite places that have gone and add any info you may have on why they disappeared and who built them

RangiUtu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a thing for the complex... regions that are puzzles with lots to discover. Also the use of light and dramatic lighting. Early in my time in SL I was impressed with Oni Horan's Necronom VI Dark Role Play. Enough so that I made a video of the place when I heard it was closing. (8/2014)

Unfortunately Necronom was falling into a state of disrepair and many parts of the place were not working. Like the elevators... The AI robots were having problems... The various games and quests that were offered within Necronom over time were fun and competitive.

I made this video before buying a SpaceNavigator (SN). This work and the complications of  using a mouse for machinima were the basis for deciding I needed a SN.

SVARGA was an amazing simulation of an ecological system. It is now a historic region... the Lindens have saved it. But it is not maintained. So the ecology has failed and mostly does not work.

3401370469_b3ba11fdfb_o.jpg

Numbakulla was another RP and exploring region.

The welcome letter...

Welcome to Numbakulla, a mysterious quest game which is free to play for everyone. It has been open for over 18 months now.

Numbakulla is notionally owned by a collective of people who donated money to keep Numbakulla open.  Currently the tier fee for Numbakulla is currently sponsored by Oclee Hornet and Nemesis Content Creation, but many people have donated amounts large and small to keep it free to play and open to all.

The game was built by a team of people which included Ratt Foo, Cierrah Blair, Sky Everett, Baron Grayson, Caliandris Pendragon, Moopf Murray, Ambyance2 Anubis, Lost Therian, Selador Cellardor, Zapoteth Zaius.

The game has since been supported and played by many people.  Welcome.  Please take a notebook and wear it.  It is the game controller.  It can be removed when you are not playing in numbakulla, but should be worn when you are here.

The Music you can hear playing is by soup.  There is a listening post for soup on NCC sim, with some freebies, like a soup drinking chair and soup bowl.  You can find information about soup at http://www.soupmusic.net
Caliandris Pendragon
February 2007

Uru - This is a mix of gone and still here. In 2008 many of the Myst/Uru players were coming into SL as Cyan Worlds (the creators of the game) announced the closing of the Myst world. Many of us were very attached to Myst Online - Uru Live. So the Cyan servers were kept up for years. While the website is there I am not sure how well the servers work. Many tried to reproduce the game in SL. A good reproduction exists in SL today. Some did amazing reproductions. But many of those are gone. Shown below is the Great Zero... its a long story... a fascinating build. But as best I can tell it is gone as are many of the related builds.

3402200296_85a86c656d_c.jpg

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

I have a thing for the complex... regions that are puzzles with lots to discover. Also the use of light and dramatic lighting. Early in my time in SL I was impressed with Oni Horan's Necronom VI Dark Role Play. Enough so that I made a video of the place when I heard it was closing. (8/2014)

Unfortunately Necronom was falling into a state of disrepair and many parts of the place were not working. Like the elevators... The AI robots were having problems... The various games and quests that were offered within Necronom over time were fun and competitive.

I made this video before buying a SpaceNavigator (SN). This work and the complications of  using a mouse for machinima were the basis for deciding I needed a SN.

SVARGA was an amazing simulation of an ecological system. It is now a historic region... the Lindens have saved it. But it is not maintained. So the ecology has failed and mostly does not work.

3401370469_b3ba11fdfb_o.jpg

Numbakulla was another RP and exploring region.

The welcome letter...

Welcome to Numbakulla, a mysterious quest game which is free to play for everyone. It has been open for over 18 months now.

Numbakulla is notionally owned by a collective of people who donated money to keep Numbakulla open.  Currently the tier fee for Numbakulla is currently sponsored by Oclee Hornet and Nemesis Content Creation, but many people have donated amounts large and small to keep it free to play and open to all.

The game was built by a team of people which included Ratt Foo, Cierrah Blair, Sky Everett, Baron Grayson, Caliandris Pendragon, Moopf Murray, Ambyance2 Anubis, Lost Therian, Selador Cellardor, Zapoteth Zaius.

The game has since been supported and played by many people.  Welcome.  Please take a notebook and wear it.  It is the game controller.  It can be removed when you are not playing in numbakulla, but should be worn when you are here.

The Music you can hear playing is by soup.  There is a listening post for soup on NCC sim, with some freebies, like a soup drinking chair and soup bowl.  You can find information about soup at http://www.soupmusic.net
Caliandris Pendragon
February 2007

Uru - This is a mix of gone and still here. In 2008 many of the Myst/Uru players were coming into SL as Cyan Worlds (the creators of the game) announced the closing of the Myst world. Many of us were very attached to Myst Online - Uru Live. So the Cyan servers were kept up for years. While the website is there I am not sure how well the servers work. Many tried to reproduce the game in SL. A good reproduction exists in SL today. Some did amazing reproductions. But many of those are gone. Shown below is the Great Zero... its a long story... a fascinating build. But as best I can tell it is gone as are many of the related builds.

3402200296_85a86c656d_c.jpg

There is still a Myst sim in SL

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Age of Myst/212/68/34

• Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 8:59 AM, 2Tessa said:

Templum ex Obscurum

2725058356_4ae3f6bf1e_o_d.jpg

2725059518_9f4bed6ed5_o_d.jpg

2797224367_4d5926a6f1_o_d.jpg

2806194211_a201fe43fa_o_d.jpg

2846519739_55bed5921e_o_d.jpg

Templum ex Obscurum

2783929939_3e52d2f2ff_o_d.jpg

2539844206_3cde67f390_o_d.jpg

This was absolutely one of the most original and coolest sims of its era in SL. I have often wished Templum ex Obscurum was still here. Another wonderful sim or that time was Tusk, which also had a huge, magical subterranean cave. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/24/2022 at 7:36 AM, AnnieBrightstar said:

My third choice is the wonderful Petrovsky Flux. The ever changing evolving Steampunk build by Cutea Benelli and Blotto Epsilon. So different to other builds around, it was a regular feature in travel blogs, for example Draxtor April 6 2014 referred to it as, " the best sim on the grid."  But then it seems, its owners, the Spencer Museum of Art decided to let it go.

A campaign was started to keep this unique installation and a meeting at the sim was held,  allowing me to rub virtual shoulders with Second Life luminaries including Strawberry Singh and Ebbe Linden among others. 

For a while it was reprieved but then it was allowed to  slip quietly from existence in 2016.

Petrovsky flux.jpg

I miss Petrovsky Flux so much!  It was my favorite place to go when I was just starting out in SL to listen to the music and watch the build. 

• Like 3

On 1/22/2023 at 3:56 PM, Rick Daylight said:

Does anyone else remember Cheeky Tiramisu? That's going back a decade maybe.

A full region with a cafe (that above named) set in a wooded, undulating landscaping with walks around it and some rocky coastal walks. There was a Japanese style communal bath ( and a good number of cherry blossom trees, so I guess the owner was Japanese) and an underground, hidden cave system with another hangout spot in it. The entrance to that was through a waterfall on the coast; I had been loitering around the region for six months before I discovered it by accident.

It was one of the first places I enjoyed just chilling out in SL. Not many people visited, most of the time I was alone but occasionally another one or two would be there. Sometimes we even said hello while sat at the cafe, lol.

Then one day I went there, or rather didn't because the region had gone. I was sad. Even the few screenshots I recall taking of it seem to have vanished from my PC.

I would love to have a region where I could create a place for people, like that.

I believe  Cheeky Tiramisu was created by  Yasyn Azemus and ran from  2011 - 2017. He now landscapes Ahiru.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/24/2023 at 4:48 PM, Ian Mercury said:

I loved Tempura.
A year ago they changed the music. I wonder why they did that. Maybe silly but it is not the same sim for me anymore

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife//166/131/23

tempura 1.png

The original owners were going to close but...it's now maintained by LL.

https://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2022/04/tempura-second-life-linden-lab-restored-slurl.html#more

• Like 5

On 2/23/2023 at 7:41 PM, AnnieBrightstar said:

I believe  Cheeky Tiramisu was created by  Yasyn Azemus and ran from  2011 - 2017. He now landscapes Ahiru.

Ahiru is beautiful! It's hard to know which way to point the camera. I'll add a pic in a new thread since it's still here, so OT for this thread.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.