Map Privacy & Appear Offline - Would You Like This Feature?

Paulsian

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 619 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Any appear offline feature would be for use as a means to not signal to your friends you are online. It would fail as a privacy tool. Scripted objects can track your online status. That said, I still think that an online status option would be a net benifit. 

Arguments about what development time should be spent on miss the point that not every developer or employee of LL is going to be working on the same part of a product or be qualified to. Whoever handles the backend of the forums might not be qualified to code a new option into the viewer. The person who codes a new option into the viewer might not be the one working on the engine or netcode for improvements. 

Edited by Dragon Mommy
  • Like 4

This would be a gift to griefers and stalkers.

I think it's comforting to see the dots on the map, If people could turn themself invisible, so I had no possibility to see them? Imagine sitting in your home, suddenly a person is seen outside the window. Nothing shows up on the map. The person is just standing there.

You could argue "Well, what's the point, they can stand around outside your home now too",

But not see anyone approach, is a whole different situation. 

I have never used banlines in SL. This would force me to use them. I would feel that security orbs is not enough. I would have to log in alts that I have not whitelisted, to see if the security is working. And do this very often. I never bothered about the idea of people "may look at me", I can take a quick look at their profile when I see one on the mini-map.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Paulsian said:

It would if the neighbors from 3 miles knew and if they knew if I was in my bathroom or bedroom or if I had company just based on the mini map. 

If you are ashamed of what happens in your house, or afraid of what your neighbors think, I am sorry to hear that.

ETA: Do you also watch your neighbors' comings and goings, etc.?  Is that why you worry about whether they watch you?

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 2

Okay.. Umm hmmm i'm thinking.. (woops that's a bad thing) Wonders (darn it shock me) if maybe this level of privacy would be best offered as a feature to premium users?

Seems like there is a level of fear when it comes to this type of privacy. I wonder why, I have to think about it more. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

This would be a gift to griefers and stalkers.

I think it's comforting to see the dots on the map, If people could turn themself invisible, so I had no possibility to see them? Imagine sitting in your home, suddenly a person is seen outside the window. Nothing shows up on the map. The person is just standing there.

You could argue "Well, what's the point, they can stand around outside your home now too",

But not see anyone approach, is a whole different situation. 

I have never used banlines in SL. This would force me to use them. I would feel that security orbs is not enough. I would have to log in alts that I have not whitelisted, to see if the security is working. And do this very often. I never bothered about the idea of people "may look at me", I can take a quick look at their profile when I see one on the mini-map.

Say I have enabled map privacy and  my dot does not show up on the map, your dot will not show up on the map for me either. Sure I could already know where you live and take myself off the map and hide my body with a full body alpha and stand outside your virtual house but I think with you not knowing im there and eventually I would get bored and go away. 

And then we have the people who would rez things to freak people out which people already do from other regions. I have this happen to me before and reported it. Person was building on my stuff (harassing me) in a sandbox and his dot was not in the region. 

There are user created tools in world that keep you in one place and send the map dots to another region. This is already happening, an activity / fun past time for griefers. 

LL can clean it up. 

• Haha 2

Total secrecy would be a stalker's and griefer's dream. No, I don't want that.

Not to mention all the pearl-clutching drama when people discover that their partners and best friends have been going fully private.

If you don't want to be seen in SL, don't log in. Or use an alt.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

Okay.. Umm hmmm i'm thinking.. (woops that's a bad thing) Wonders (darn it shock me) if maybe this level of privacy would be best offered as a feature to premium users?

Seems like there is a level of fear when it comes to this type of privacy. I wonder why, I have to think about it more. 

If you think about it, you're asking for privacy in public. We pretty much have everything we need for privacy when we are on our own land.. We can shut off anyone looking in and we can just block or close IM's.

Just like the real world, you pretty much need your own land to really get good privacy.

We can also turn off our online status or do an away thing and some other things.

Public is kind of the opposite of private..  There is no reason anyone should be hidden from the public eye while out in public.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Lewis Luminos said:

Total secrecy would be a stalker's and griefer's dream. No, I don't want that.

Not to mention all the pearl-clutching drama when people discover that their partners and best friends have been going fully private.

If you don't want to be seen in SL, don't log in. Or use an alt.

Wonders (shock) if LL would be able to think (zap) a few steps ahead of stalkers and griefers and develope something that could also provide additional security? 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

This is starting to look like a solution in search of a problem.  What makes you think this "feature" would have any value for premium members?  🙄

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

If you think about it, you're asking for privacy in public. We pretty much have everything we need for privacy when we are on our own land.. We can shut off anyone looking in and we can just block or close IM's.

Just like the real world, you pretty much need your own land to really get good privacy.

We can also turn off our online status or do an away thing and some other things.

Public is kind of the opposite of private..  There is no reason anyone should be hidden from the public eye while out in public.

In real life if I go to for a walk and then entire world can watch  my location on a map I would have a problem with that too. I get what your saying because i'm in public makes me public property. 

5 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

This is starting to look like a solution in search of a problem.  What makes you think this "feature" would have any value for premium members?  🙄

pri·vate

(of a place) quiet and free from people who can interrupt:

Currently because there is no map privacy, private homes are not completely private are they? 

1.png

• Haha 2

Just now, Paulsian said:

In real life if I go to for a walk and then entire world can watch  my location on a map I would have a problem with that too. I get what your saying because i'm in public makes me public property. 

You aren't public property, you are just in an area that is for everyone and where everyone pretty much should have the same rules and rights. When you come out of your cave you are in the wild, unless you wander into someone else's cave where you have less rights than in your cave or in the wild.

In other words, if we want privacy we can get it, but it's not really a public thing.. there are enough ninjas as it is hehehe

21 hours ago, Paulsian said:

I won't snitch on a linden but I do have video evidence of a linden using it and actually showing how to use it.  

The Linden that showed me SL eons said their staff toons have powers not afforded to the common Resident.  He said like someone earlier said, powers similar to a GM in a MMO like Wow or AION to name a few. Although he was involved on the back-end --- think servers and internal networks, the "GM" mode allows them to work in peace on the grid.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

Wonders (shock) if LL would be able to think (zap) a few steps ahead of stalkers and griefers and develope something that could also provide additional security? 

I think you may have something. I mean, why hasn't LL come up with something after 19 years to provide extra security against griefers and stalkers.  They probably haven't even thought about it until you suggested it. You, are a genius! 

FYI: NO ONE can tell from the mini map if you are in your bathroom or bedroom or even if you have such things unless they are STANDING ON YOUR PROPERTY. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I think you may have something. I mean, why hasn't LL come up with something after 19 years to provide extra security against griefers and stalkers.  They probably haven't even thought about it until you suggested it. You, are a genius! 

FYI: NO ONE can tell from the mini map if you are in your bathroom or bedroom or even if you have such things unless they are STANDING ON YOUR PROPERTY. 

I prefer brilliant. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 619 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.