Makes you wonder why people are such .. jerks

Kate Ayashi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 604 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

19 hours ago, Kate Ayashi said:

This is why I distrust people so much here!!!

I've been through some stupid trolling and heartbreak, but nothing like this stunt ...

I come back after a RL trip, and pop over to my sim. Not my home, but my elaborately decorated and themed sim. 4096 of nicely designed gardens and club. And its destroyed. Every item has been moved thrown into the air, twisted, flipped, destroyed. The entire sim. Took weeks of designing to get it right.

Sadly for whoever pulled this stunt (mom must have let you out of the basement) I have two things: one, only my group members could have done it. Two? I have a hidden security orb that records everyone who steps foot on the parcel. I have 14 names to go through. I will find you. I will report you for griefing. I will get you kicked from SL.

I promise.

It’s your own fault dear. For allowing permissions Where anyone could do that. Sorry. Not sure L L would do anything let alone kick the person off SL  you unfortunately Learned a valuable lesson. 

I do feel for you though, as IAN has us without power and internet, spotty at best cell service not enough to use phone as a hot spot.. I have not been to my little slice of SL in a week…….who knows what I will find….

Edited by LittleSparrow Skydancer
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Kate Ayashi said:

I will find you. I will report you for griefing. I will get you kicked from SL.

That's not actually how it works. Once you give people permissions to edit your objects, the consequences are on you.

My brand new mainland neighbor just did the same thing, moved in, put in a ton of ugly crap, and threatened to AR my ugly crap.

Where do people get the idea that an abuse report is some magical, all encompassing talisman for anything that bothers them?

• Like 2

Well, well ... I know when it happened ... Here are my visit logs (redacted, of course) ...

Basic Visitor Detector 2.6: [redacted] : 2022-09-27 04:21 PM GMT/UTC+5
>> this visitor reported it as all good, and he's a regular

[13:19] Basic Visitor Detector 2.6: [redacted] : 2022-09-30 05:17 AM GMT/UTC+5
>> no response to my general inquiry and suddenly blocked

[13:19] Basic Visitor Detector 2.6: [redacted] : 2022-10-01 03:43 AM GMT/UTC+5
>> this visitor, again, a regular who I know, noted that a tornado had hit it when they visited

[redacted] ... I found you. :)

Three years in and this place still is a swamp of immature stupid.

Edited by Kate Ayashi
  • Like 2

On 10/2/2022 at 11:28 PM, Kate Ayashi said:

I have a hidden security orb that records everyone who steps foot on the parcel.

And that will help with absolutely nothing. You can edit objects on the other parcels within the same region.

Like others said, giving rights to edit your objects is all on you. Yes, people being jerks and idiots as usual, nothing new about it. Good luck with your "report", which will get you the usual "LL doesn't get involved in disputes between Residents" reply. Given it was only 4k sqm parcel consider it a valuable lesson for the future in case you'd go bigger. There's a reason why no one in SL has rights to edit my objects even if my whole region is already private access only as is, and it's exactly that one.

• Like 3

Someone once helped me by donating furniture when i had a place for a little while , and for me it was an appreciated honour and a mark of trust that i was left with permission to edit all her furniture for maybe 2 years given she decorated at least 3 very large sims that i know of and had banned myself from long before .

I could have gone back and caused havoc i guess , but why would anyone do that ?

Its a sad fact of SL that reputations don't follow us , or indeed arrive before us . Like it or lump it reputations are a governing factor of society that have far more reach than rules and law .

In virtual the redacted will simply move on without consequence and do it again to someone else which is not so easy in RL .

15 hours ago, steeljane42 said:

Good luck with your "report", which will get you the usual "LL doesn't get involved in disputes between Residents" reply.

Yeah, but the tracker has still given her the identity of the griefer, which she is of course free to share with other members of the group; and what she and her friends choose to do with that information is also outside LL's remit...

• Like 1

I've given object perms to several people, who are much better builders than me. They make my stuff prettier. I don't like having perms for their stuff though, and I ask them to lock their builds. I'm a clumsy clicker.

My advice, make friends with people who take pride in their own builds. These ones tend to be very responsible.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kate Ayashi said:

Well, well ... I know when it happened ... Here are my visit logs (redacted, of course) ...

>> this visitor, again, a regular who I know, noted that a tornado had hit it when they visited

Three years in and this place still is a swamp of immature stupid.

So, you're saying the person who did this was a stranger and not a regular, but they had full edit rights. You really need to take our advice on the security here. Yes, people can be jerks, but no need to make it easy for them.

• Like 3

I find it interesting that one could rent a region for $200+ US a month and yet have to beg S/L to run a backup. Paying that kind of money it should be a given that a region owner would have ready access to being able run one on demand. Also it is assumed that the OP was griefed through the giving of Group permissions but there certainly have been cases through the years where builds were trashed through a hacked godmode viewer. It is only through the reporting of those cases that alerted developers to a vulnerability in the servers that needed to be addressed, as is happening currently in some Opensim Grids. There at least one has ready access to recent backups but still shows that someone out there is using a viewer that is allowing the user to circumvent all the permissions that should be blocking such a thing.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, pizza7 said:

Typical of this time is the blaming it totally on others, where part of the blame clearly lies at the op's side.

Rick is correct. What you meant to say, perhaps, is that the OP was unwise. That does not mean they should share blame.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I find it interesting that one could rent a region for $200+ US a month and yet have to beg S/L to run a backup. Paying that kind of money it should be a given that a region owner would have ready access to being able run one on demand.

LL would never agree to let anyone be able to roll back a region on demand. They are very cautious about doing it for anyone now because it's a very easy way for unscrupulous people to get copies of no-copy items.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

LL would never agree to let anyone be able to roll back a region on demand. They are very cautious about doing it for anyone now because it's a very easy way for unscrupulous people to get copies of no-copy items.  

I don't know why that would be. A proper back up and reinstall would simply put everything back in its proper position with the permissions and ownerships intact as they were were at the time the backup was taken.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I don't know why that would be. A proper back up and reinstall would simply put everything back in its proper position with the permissions and ownerships intact as they were were at the time the backup was taken.

Quite simply, all an unscrupulous person has to do is take a lot of no-copy objects (buildings, furnishings, landscaping items) back to his own inventory, trash the region so it's hard to tell what it's supposed to look like, and then say, "Look what happened to my poor region!".  Linden Lab rolls the region back, not knowing that valuable no-copy stuff has been picked up.  The rolled back region then has all of the things that were there a day or two earlier, including the "missing" items.

• Like 3

On 10/3/2022 at 3:05 PM, Kate Ayashi said:

So because one of your group members makes a humorous comment upon seeing your torn apart build, you are sure he/she did it?  What else did you use to be sure [redacted]  did it?  Did they admit it?  If they were the last to visit in your log, you assume they are the one?  Just wondering?  

I would never give my group members edit permissions on my builds, unless there was a very good reason in which case it would be a temporary permission to someone I trusted, and was a competent builder.

It's like leaving your car unlocked and a box full of $100 bills in your front seat, in a ghetto neighborhood, overnight.  Only good for a police sting operation.

Second thoughts added.  I assume you spoke to all the prior visitors in your log, and they all said it looked good.  Your suspect acted guilty by blocking you, and made a comment when he visited the next day.  He should have said everything looked good, like the others when you asked them.  And made no further comments, hoping someone else would comment after him.  So he wasn't too bright.  (or she, but only men do these things I have been told.)   

My mistake crossed out.  This is why I never made the detective squad. 

Edited by Jaylinbridges
added crossed out text
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

So because one of your group members makes a humorous comment upon seeing your torn apart build, you are sure he/she did it?  What else did you use to be sure [redacted]  did it?  Did they admit it?  If they were the last to visit in your log, you assume they are the one?  Just wondering?  

I would never give my group members edit permissions on my builds, unless there was a very good reason in which case it would be a temporary permission to someone I trusted, and was a competent builder.

It's like leaving your car unlocked and a box full of $100 bills in your front seat, in a ghetto neighborhood, overnight.  Only good for a police sting operation.

Second thoughts added.  I assume you spoke to all the prior visitors in your log, and they all said it looked good.  Your suspect acted guilty by blocking you, and made a comment when he visited the next day.  He should have said everything looked good, like the others when you asked them.  And made no further comments, hoping someone else would comment after him.  So he wasn't too bright.  (or she, but only men do these things I have been told.)  

You really need to read that log again.. 

visitor #1, whom she knows said looked all good. 

Visitor #2 who blocked her.

First visitor again said place was trashed. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

visitor #1, whom she knows said looked all good. 

Visitor #2 who blocked her.

First visitor again said place was trashed. 

Yeah I was thinking she had 3 visitors, and the last two were the same.  It was visitor #2 with the block, who was the trashing man, which we both agreed on.

8 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Quite simply, all an unscrupulous person has to do is take a lot of no-copy objects (buildings, furnishings, landscaping items) back to his own inventory, trash the region so it's hard to tell what it's supposed to look like, and then say, "Look what happened to my poor region!".  Linden Lab rolls the region back, not knowing that valuable no-copy stuff has been picked up.  The rolled back region then has all of the things that were there a day or two earlier, including the "missing" items.

Simple work around would be to do something like an Area search for existing content on the sim after the griefing episode and then pull out the relevant location data from the backup and use it to relocate the objects on the sim to their former position. An enterprising scripter could probably make something like that up in LSL as the basic tools for that already exist in some viewers.

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Simple work around would be to do something like an Area search for existing content on the sim after the griefing episode and then pull out the relevant location data from the backup and use it to relocate the objects on the sim to their former position. An enterprising scripter could probably make something like that up in LSL as the basic tools for that already exist in some viewers.

That's not the way a rollback works.  A rollback uses the backup records in the region servers to create a clone of the region as it was at a previous time.  The clone replaces the "damaged" current version. There is no poking around to see what's missing or where things belong. Nothing from the damaged version is moved around; everything is completely removed and replaced by the cloned version.  So if the "damaged" version is missing some things that an unscrupulous person has taken into her inventory, no one else knows. The evidence vanishes when the damaged version is replaced by the clone.  A rollback is rolling the clock back, just like Groundhog Day.

Stuck in “Groundhog Day?” Embrace it. - Pavement Pieces

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 604 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.