Water Ripple missing in second life as of yesterday.

Alisha Kawaguichi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 613 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The Water in second life is glassy and lifeless,  I have updated my graphics card and viewer to the latest version and the problem is still there.  Have added everything under water reflections which only adds those graphics, but doesnt add the missing ripple effect.

Gyazo for settings, am using Firestorms latest version now, previous version had the same issue suddenly as of yesterday:  https://gyazo.com/6ac511cb99dd12fd30487f34ad322a92

LL is aware of this and is investigating, according to the Grid Status page:

Investigating - We are aware that some residents are not seeing water render properly inworld. It may appear flat or glassy, and without ripples or waves.

We are investigating this issue further. Please follow this blog for updates.

Aug 24, 06:40 PDT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm seeing a common factor to this issue.  Some time ago (a matter of weeks only, I think) LL updated some aspects of the Library feature in viewers.  There was an issue with the format of the new texture files which led if I recall to a number of region crashes (strangely not viewer crashes).

Now we have basic texures not simply not rezzing but simply not loading at all.  I think it behoves LL operrations and those responsible for such things as file format compatibilty within SL to take a close look at these issues.

Is there any mileage in the fact that some of these textures have an alpha component to them?

Edited by Aishagain
  • Like 2

Not sure at which point, but apparently, all those environment textures that used to be bundled with the viewer ”UI” textures have vanished from the distributed package and are now loaded from the servers... Of course, if LL pulled off the corresponding server textures, or if the servers are slow or fail to serve the textures, you cannot see them properly any more with the new viewers.

Being a v1 viewer, the Cool VL Viewer is not affected by this bug (textures are on file).

• Like 4

Sadly, having the same issue. Tonight I cleared Cache and updated to firestorm's  latest release. When I returned, the water was as glass. I am going to try reinstalling the older version of firestorm, see what it does now that the cache has been emptied. I suspect it may something to do with Firestorms new update. It was fine until I updated this evening. Hopping they fix it very soon, its ugly :/

Wondering what viewers others are using?

Untitled.png

• Like 2

Since it's due to an inventory issue, the technical fix should be interesting.

Assuming the rippling water asset with a specific UUID was deleted, they'll either have to a) re-create an asset with the same UUID, b) restore the old asset, or c) change everyone's inventory to point to the UUID of the replacement asset. 

Since the temporary fix required people to go to a special region, I bet that region is doing c).

• Like 2

Logged in early today...no water ripples. Went to Debug1, stared at water, went back to our sailing area and saw ripples. Was it magic? I don't care, it worked. Logged off.Checked here in Forum and found post about the LL work. Now, back online at 9:30am slt and I have ripples. Is it fixed? Or am I seeing them because I went to Debug1?   

• Like 1

• Lindens
6 minutes ago, Cate Foulsbane said:

Logged in early today...no water ripples. Went to Debug1, stared at water, went back to our sailing area and saw ripples. Was it magic? I don't care, it worked. Logged off.Checked here in Forum and found post about the LL work. Now, back online at 9:30am slt and I have ripples. Is it fixed? Or am I seeing them because I went to Debug1?   

Caches are basically magic so... Yes.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Monty Linden said:

If you delete caches, you may have to revisit

I know I'm not supposed to, but I delete caches after shopping trips or walk-abouts. Does this mean after I do that, each and every time, I have to go the Debug places? I think the real magic is that I have been able to use and enjoy SL for so very long without understanding how any of it works. I turn the key, the motor starts, yay!

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Cate Foulsbane said:

I know I'm not supposed to, but I delete caches after shopping trips or walk-abouts. Does this mean after I do that, each and every time, I have to go the Debug places? I think the real magic is that I have been able to use and enjoy SL for so very long without understanding how any of it works. I turn the key, the motor starts, yay!

As a general rule of thumb, regular cache clearing just is not needed for Second Life and - as can be clearly seen in this case - can cause more problems than it solves.

Cache should only be cleared if there is the possibility that part of it has become corrupted.

• Like 4

Caches are finite and it's certainly possible that the textures for water ripples, "highlight transparent", and whatever else ails the grid may have cycled out of the cache anyway, without the manual clearing.

I don't think the project to make viewer cache super performant was completed yet, was it? I mean, cache is certainly more robust than it was, say, five years ago, but I never noticed the big speed-up I'd been led to expect recently.

It seems unlikely, though, that the algorithm could be so bad that there'd be benefit to flushing cache after a shopping trip. It should surely be efficient about cycling out all those never-seen-again vendor textures without needing manual "encouragement".

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 613 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.