The PC Turns 35 Today

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 690 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

"On August 12, 1981 the 5150 was unveiled to the world at a New York City press conference, and quickly deemed the IBM PC by press. Over the next two years, the computer played a pivotal role in moving the technology from hobbyist to mainstream."

https://techcrunch.com/2016/08/12/ibm-for-president/

https://www.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/pc25/pc25_press.html

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Perrie Juran said:

"On August 12, 1981 the 5150 was unveiled to the world at a New York City press conference, and quickly deemed the IBM PC by press. Over the next two years, the computer played a pivotal role in moving the technology from hobbyist to mainstream."

https://techcrunch.com/2016/08/12/ibm-for-president/

https://www.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/pc25/pc25_press.html

/me waves to Perrie cheerfully

• Like 1

commodore-pet-2001-1977_hd2a.1024.jpg

IBM didn't invent the PC, Commodore did. The Commodore PET 2001 was released in 1977, it was particularly popular in US schools.

PET stood for Personal Electronic Transactor, which most people regarded as a "personal computer", which gave IBM the idea to actually name their later computer "PC".

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 1

[insert random bit of information here that the overly contrarians enjoy being contrary about... ] Meanwhile, this in from a short Google search from reliable sources:

The first microprocessor on the market was developed in 1971 by an engineer at Intel named Ted Hoff.

As a result, the small, relatively inexpensive “microcomputer”–soon known as the “personal computer”–was born. In 1974, for instance, a company called Micro Instrumentation and Telemetry Systems (MITS) introduced a mail-order build-it-yourself computer kit called the Altair. 

In 1975, MITS hired a pair of Harvard students named Paul G. Allen and Bill Gates to adapt the BASIC programming language for the Altair.

The year after Gates and Allen started Microsoft [1976], two engineers in the Homebrew Computer Club in Silicon Valley named Steve Jobs and Stephen Wozniak built a homemade computer that would likewise change the world. This computer, called the Apple I

The PC revolution had begun. Soon companies like Xerox, Tandy, Commodore and IBM had entered the market, and computers became ubiquitous in offices and eventually homes. 

Feel free to argue about socks now... or the 4th of July... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Micral_MGR_Lyon-IMG_9895.thumb.jpg.60a152b160ed80fe34018484e87a7092.jpg

Micral is a series of microcomputers produced by the French company Réalisation d'Études Électroniques (R2E), beginning with the Micral N in early 1973. The Micral N was the first commercially available microprocessor-based computer.

Although IBM's PC was considered by many to be a milestone in the world of computing, it's the advent of the microprocessor that truly revolutionized the world. It was the microprocessor that made computing "personal" enough to sit atop your desk.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I can just imagine the OP shaking their head and saying, "Now I remember why I haven't posted in the GD forum in ages.". 😕

This OP remembers faaaaaar worse, happily.

I had no idea, btw, that you'd been lurking on the forums for so long before regularly posting! Now, like Seicher, I'm all embarrassed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This OP remembers faaaaaar worse, happily.

I had no idea, btw, that you'd been lurking on the forums for so long before regularly posting! Now, like Seicher, I'm all embarrassed.

To be fair, I didn't lurk on any regular basis nor follow any specific goings on.  I'd usually just pop in when I was having an issue logging in or something to see if anyone else was having issues.  I'd poke around in the GD mostly if a topic caught my eye.

Neither you nor @Seicher Raehave anything to be embarrassed about!  I've found that posts from both of you are always informative, entertaining or both.  Head scratching, only on occasion.  😁

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Thanks 2

• Moles

This is an interesting conversation, but it is not within the guidelines for posting in General Discussion. As a reminder, the Participation Guidelines for this forum say

Not Allowed:
In addition to adhering to the Community Standards, please refrain from posting content discussing inflammatory content (Politics, Social Justice issues and Interpersonal disputes), anything that doesn’t relate directly to Second Life/Linden Lab, Generic posts (like “Post a random animal picture!” versus an acceptable “Post your Second Life pets!”), etc. These are just guidelines, so please use your best judgment when posting if it is not explicitly stated here! 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 10

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 690 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.