I see the SecondLife Thought Police have arrived.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 651 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Only now, it's coded in the rules.

Tolerance is the foundation of social justice, which is now explicitly banned.

Tolerance implies putting up with, Social Justice implies rights, which are inherent to human nature.

Also

clutch-move-in-before-the-lock.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

https://www.thoughtco.com/pluralism-definition-4692539

Pluralism is exactly what you ask for when you say that differing viewpoints should be supported/accepted and not suppressed.

Ok then if that is what you support, support it. Or is that only when it benefits your viewpoint but not so much when it doesn't?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Facts can seem like "challenges" to ornery folks: don't eat Tide pods, don't stare at the sun, don't put your hand on a hot stove, don't set things on fire. (Do you have any idea how hard it was to make that short list, without picking something that seemed political or judgmental? That's what things have come to.) 

Don't eat Tide Pods = anti-big corporations. They have a right to make money off people who want to eat Tide Pods and people should be able to eat what they want without government telling them not to do it.

Don't stare at the sun = anti-Trump, because, you know, he did that and people said he was stupid when he did it.

Don't set things on fire = anti-climate change denial, 'cuz burning adds CO2. to the atmosphere.

There is almost nothing that can't be viewed through a political lens when people want to view it as being on one "side" or the other of a political divide. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Vanessa Amethyst said:
3 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

It's silencing that leads to totalitarianism, btw, not utopian thinking.

Every totalitarian Regime in human history has gotten in power by promising utopia, the silencing came later after the people figured out they were sold a bill of goods.  If you want to debate this in private feel free to IM i have not been able to use my History Qualifications seance i retired from teaching. 

I was responding though, to your assertion about political threads where you said:

"These are endless arguments that will never have a resolution. and utopian thinking only leads to totalitarianism"

I don't agree that it is  these arguments we make in an effort to resolve conflicts which leads to totalitarianism -- I don't believe they are utopian or unrealistic, in other words, but instead are necessary in an attempt to resolve conflict.

But what leads to the actual state of totalitarianism in a country, yes, it is both silencing others along with a promise of utopia.

9 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Don't eat Tide Pods = anti-big corporations. They have a right to make money off people who want to eat Tide Pods and people should be able to eat what they want without government telling them not to do it.

Don't stare at the sun = anti-Trump, because, you know, he did that and people said he was stupid when he did it.

Don't set things on fire = anti-climate change denial, 'cuz burning adds CO2. to the atmosphere.

There is almost nothing that can't be viewed through a political lens when people want to view it as being on one "side" or the other of a political divide. 

I confess: I left the "stare at the sun" one in there seeing if anyone would "take the bait". 

You..won, I guess?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

Y'all are talking politics, you know that, right? ;) 

Rule breakers! :D 

Well  I had to clarify some stuff about utopian thinking on threads leading to totalitarianism.  We might be in danger.  LOL

• Haha 1

Question: If we are "free thinkers", should we be able to discuss whatever we want, without fear of repercussion?

Or does that just mean "thinking freely", not "telling people about it"?

On the one hand, it sounds like everyone should be.

On the other hand, it sounds like the Keto Diet.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Question: If we are "free thinkers", should we be able to discuss whatever we want, without fear of repercussion?

Free speech made in good faith and paid for in consequence is hardly free! You should be able to speak freely without fear of systemic reality-degrading reprisals for merely bringing up certain sensitive topics that happen to also be pain points you want resolved because going on without any enfranchisement is making all life increasingly empty and farcical. 

Edited by Brightstar7777
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brightstar7777 said:

Free speech made in good faith and paid for in consequence is hardly free! You should be able to speak freely without fear of systemic reality-degrading reprisals for merely bringing up certain sensitive topics that happen to also be pain points you want resolved.

If you truly believe in free speech you should also allow anyone to use racial slurs, make homophobic comments and sexist statements. Then you would have free speech.  We've collectively determined though that is not acceptable in any sense and that's a good thing.

1 minute ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

If you truly believe in free speech you should also allow anyone to use racial slurs, make homophobic comments and sexist statements. Then you would have free speech.  We've collectively determined though that is not acceptable in any sense and that's a good thing.

This, Ladies and Gentlemen is what we would call a Red Herring. I believe in free speech, and by the looks of things, a lot of people here do. But i also wanna bet that most here, if not all, would not be ok with what you just said. Obviously it's not ok to say racial slurs or make homophobic comments and whatnot. Red Herring.

However, you know what the beauty of free speech is? Allowing someone to say a pretty silly thing and supporting them to say it. ;) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

They do make them...all the time...and they are allowed... just not in these forums.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 651 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.