I have to share this

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 646 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Antonioo Giano said:

You can't make everyone happy, is just impossible. Amazon makes happy majority of people: Customers. Those paying for that "Happines" are sellers. But if you become a popular Amazon seller be sure that you will be "very happy too".

I don't agree that to make customers happy you must make your employees miserable. As a counter-example to Amazon, how about the CEO who cut his own pay and raised the minimum salary of all his employees to $70K? They're doing great.

https://thehill.com/news-by-subject/finance-economy/548480-ceo-who-gave-all-employees-70k-minimum-wage-says-6-years/

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I don't agree that to make customers happy you must make your employees miserable. As a counter-example to Amazon, how about the CEO who cut his own pay and raised the minimum salary of all his employees to $70K? They're doing great.

https://thehill.com/news-by-subject/finance-economy/548480-ceo-who-gave-all-employees-70k-minimum-wage-says-6-years/

Can you copy me the part where I wrote that I agree or actually said Amazon makes their employee's live "miserable"?
I mentioned how Amazon in my country is an ok (not goor nor bad) employer and that is hard to deal with them as a Seller but if you manage, you can make good money.
I don't have then any personal experience if not as a customer so I can't say much more about it. I tend to have my ideas and opinions if I really know things and I'm into it. Not reading links.

And about the CEO that "tripled" the gains. I remind you that Amazon is the 4th company for Market capitalization in the world. So yeah.. I guess their model works. we like it or not.

Edited by Antonioo Giano
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Antonioo Giano said:

I tend to have my ideas and opinions if I really know things and I'm into it. Not reading links.

So everything you've said in the other thread is merely your opinion.  Understood and thanks for the clarification.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

So everything you've said in the other thread is merely your opinion.  Understood and thanks for the clarification.

As I said, it was an exception that I "donated" my time there to you "hating" people. I'm not going to do also here. But you are so funny.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Antonioo Giano said:

I don't have then any personal experience if not as a customer so I can't say much more about it. I tend to have my ideas and opinions if I really know things and I'm into it. Not reading links.

That's got to be the most inconsiderate and arrogant thing I've even seen on a forum. Seriously.

Why would you engage with others on a forum if you don't take into account their beliefs and instead believe only you have the truth?  That's how we change and grow -- by considering other viewpoints along with our own. I always listen to the perspectives of others, and read their links.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

To be honest, I have no idea about that because I don't shop around. I do often see various prices for the same thing on the Amazon site though.

There's the other thing - mentioned by Antonioo - that returns for full refunds are never a problem with Amazon, and I do like that. And it doesn't cost anything, whether or not there is something wrong with the item. They sometimes even refunded the money before the item has left my house. I wouldn't expect another company to do a full refund on a perfectly good item without me having to pay for the return.

Anyway, I'm not here to sell Amazon. I just felt that I wanted to post about them being incredibly customer-centric.

They have refunded my money if I didn’t like something and did not ask me to return it. Why? It’s cheaper to keep me happy.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yeah, sorry. I'm going to be that person.

Amazon may be "customer-oriented," but they have established a well-earned reputation as one of the crappiest employers in the US. It's not merely that they are union-busters: their treatment of their work force is so awful that they've replaced Walmart as the company with the shortest tenure and fastest turn-around of employees.

"Evidently Bezos fails to realize that any company whose workers leave after eight months on average is light years from being Earth’s Best Employer. As for being Earth’s Safest Place to Work, Bezos shouldn’t insult workers’ or the public’s intelligence by making such a claim, considering the rate of serious injuries at Amazon’s warehouses in 2020 was nearly twice that at other warehouses across the US." (The Guardian)

I'll remind you, if you've forgotten, that Amazon has been investigated by the US House Committee on Oversight and Reform, in large measure prompted by the deaths of 6 workers at one of their warehouses struck by tornado: "At least one subcontracted driver was told to keep delivering during the storm, according to text messages Bloomberg News published." (New York Times)

Here are just a few stories (The Guardian, Forbes Magazine, the CBC, New York Times -- none of which are exactly renowned as hotbeds of radical leftist politics): I could find many many more.

Use Amazon if you wish: I'm sure that they are enormously convenient, cheap, and even necessary for some.

But bear in mind as you do that there is a hidden cost for all of this that you are not paying.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackkelly/2021/10/25/a-hard-hitting-investigative-report-into-amazon-shows-that-workers-needs-were-neglected-in-favor-of-getting-goods-delivered-quickly/?sh=765687dc51f5

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/feb/04/amazon-chews-through-the-average-worker-in-eight-months-they-need-a-union

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/amazon-workers-delivery-drivers-unionize-1.6215475

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/01/technology/amazon-labor-practices.html

I have to say that as a former seasonal employee of Amazon, people are replaceable very easily. The only reason they even have people is cause tech hasn’t caught up yet. Poor working conditions? Laughs. Good pay though.

[redacted off topic content -- moderator]

Edited by Quartz Mole
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Amazon is terrible to work for, and terrible to do business with as a seller. For example, they take the lion's share of the proceeds when they sell one of your books, and they've been accused of pricing their products to drive sellers offering the same products out of business.

But by golly, they treat their customers well! The last time they announced an increase in Prime membership rates, a representative showed me how to gift myself with a Prime membership, thus maintaining the old, lower rate for an additional year.  They make products easy to return...I just drop them off at my local Kohl's department store three miles from my house. No packaging, no shipping costs, no questions asked.

At least in my experience, they have the lowest prices, or at least matching prices and greater convenience. I've tried those comparison shopping apps like Honey to see if they would find me savings over the Amazon prices of things. Every time I've been steered toward a "better" price it turns out to be for a different item (lower end model, etc.) or the shipping costs would more than eat up the "savings".

It's all of the above that have led to its growth into the sprawling giant that it is today. Is that a good thing? No, and yes. But I will continue to buy stuff from them.

I agree, Lindal. It’s a giant monster that can pretty much give you anything you want. But, it’s still a monster. Hugs you.

47 minutes ago, Antonioo Giano said:

I'm sure I earn more investing into the big bad tech companies than you all do by hating them 🤪

Maybe not so much just lately though.

Not that I don't have some Amazon stock. When I bought it, I rarely used Amazon for anything but books, but during the pandemic I learned just how incredibly convenient it is to use for damned near everything.

Where I grew up, those horrid Amazon working conditions would be heaven compared to the meat packing plants and all other employment available for relatively unskilled labor. Of course they're doing all they can to relieve the workers—by replacing them with robots. Which… I mean, fair enough: It's the 21st century and if we have yet to fully automate logistics, WTF have we been doing?

That's why I get crazy each time a CEO brags on being a "job creator". Count up all their employees. How many more would there be if this CEO never were born, and instead those jobs remained that were replaced by the CEO's more profitable, more productive, more automated business? Job destroyers, almost without fail, but let us hope those jobs were replaced somewhere in the economy by more uplifting pursuits—probably by people inventing their own jobs, the true job creators.

• Like 3

We might buy something online and have it shipped 2 or 3 times a year. Usually something we can't find in town or a town close by..If it's something we need right away we'll make a drive for it..

If its not in driving range and it's not something we need right away, we'll get it online.. Usually we've researched the best place to get those things and just get them there..

I can understand elder people needing so many everyday things delivered to them.. I just don't understand the need by younger people..

I'm just not in a hurry to have more of my senses dulled or numbed up just yet and feel I'm making progress..  I can't see how less moving around is gonna make humans live longer.

Just to shed some light on the wal mart scary people thing.. I don't know how it is anywhere else, But in our town, you just want to make sure you are out of walmart well before 9:00PM.. It goes from walmart to walmart 54 after 9pm I'm told.. So I don't think it's like that in Walmarts 24/7

I don't shop there myself, but have heard the warning cries!!   From 7AM to 8:30pm you should be fine..  hehehehe

6 hours ago, kali Wylder said:

I feel like my relationship with Amazon is my guilty secret.  I started using Amazon when they first existed because I used to buy a lot of books.  I've been a prime member since prime existed.  I know that they treat their employees terribly and that's why I feel guilty but they treat their customers very well.  Whenever I've had to return anything it was painless.  They deliver when they say they will.  What they describe for sale is accurate and you get what you ordered.  Yes, maybe you can get it cheaper somewhere else but you'll probably have to pay for shipping and you might not get what you thought you were ordering or when you expected it and god help you if you try to return it.

^^ This -- most definitely this.  I also started shopping Amazon primarily for books and have been Prime since the beginning.

We still buy most of our groceries from the store down the street, but probably 90-95% of everything else comes from Amazon.  I typically have many deliveries every week, sometimes multiples in a single day.  Primarily because they are convenient and very customer focused.  While I can order stuff from other stores online, I have to hit a large dollar amount to get free shipping (or pay high shipping costs) and I either have to pay to ship something back or go to the store and stand in long customer service lines.   And I hated going into stores long before Covid hit.

I know that my shipping fees are wrapped into my yearly Prime fee, but I feel like I get a lot for that money.  Things shipping for free regardless of the order size, returning things without having to pay shipping costs or restocking fees, all sorts of free movies and TV shows, and super customer service.   

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

They have refunded my money if I didn’t like something and did not ask me to return it. Why? It’s cheaper to keep me happy.

Yeah, I've had that happen to.  Once I got something that was supposed to be a 3-pack, but it was a 2-pack.  They simply sent a 3-pack without asking me to return the 2-pack.

Even many of their sellers go out of their way to make you happy.   Last year I bought a new keyboard from an Amazon seller - nothing fancy, only cost around $15 or so.  Anyway, the lettering has worn off one key.  They have a 24 month quality policy, so I wrote the seller asking about getting a replacement key.  They asked for a picture to show them the key and then they sent me a whole new keyboard.  

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

I thought this thread was about Amazon, not WalMart (who just warned today their margins are dropping).  Walmart in my neighborhood is a grocery/pharmacy only, and the customers look like any other customer in the nearby up scale stores.  Could be the location, an urban suburb where average family income is $200,000, which means we don't get the low income folks.

My main complaint with Amazon is their delivery service. I always order over $25 to get the free delivery. They set the delivery date for 7 days out.  But if I order on Friday morning, they deliver my package at noon on Sunday, with a Prime sticker.  I don't have Prime.  And they even text me to say it's delivered with a photo of the outside of my front door.  How rude of them to wake my up on a Sunday morning...

13 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

The last time they announced an increase in Prime membership rates, a representative showed me how to gift myself with a Prime membership, thus maintaining the old, lower rate for an additional year. 

Coincidentally, I woke up today to an email from Amazon that Prime is going up by £1 a month, starting in September. It doesn't make any difference to me but it would be interesting to have that gift thing explained. I might have a look at it :)

Is it that, taking a 1 year membership now, is charged at the current price?

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Since Google is all, "don't be evil", they should sell stuff so we can buy from them instead of Amazon!

OH NO!

Google is my least favourite huge company. That 'don't be evil' thing was dropped not long after Google started. They just couldn't stick to it.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 646 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.