I have to share this

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 646 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Well... I know how I use the ones that are part of the toilet, but I can't imagine doing it the same on a separate one, but let's not go into graphic descriptions please lol.

When I stayed at a pensione in Florence many years ago, I was shown around my rooms by the proprietress. It was an old converted palazza of some sort -- high ceilings and huge windows, and a spacious balconny overlooking a lush garden -- and the current owner was quite old, very elegant, and very gracious. She had the air of someone from the faded aristocracy of another century.

She showed me the well-appointed bathroom that included a bidet. Her English was better than my Italian, but not great, and she pointed to the bidet, and explained very carefully and with some dignity and pride that it was "for de washing of de ass."

It was the most honest description of one I've ever heard.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It's nice to see someone take pride in a clean buttox!

The unspoken assumption was that a North American would know nothing of the civilized conveniences available to the citizens of the.Old World.

We colonials all have dirty buttocks, you know.

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The unspoken assumption was that a North American would know nothing of the civilized conveniences available to the citizens of the.Old World.

Assuming they don't have fancy Japanese models with air dryers, do posh places with beedays give you something to dry off with, or does everyone walk around with wet butts, evidenced by water stains on their backsides?

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Assuming they don't have fancy Japanese models with air dryers, do posh places with beedays give you something to dry off with, or does everyone walk around with wet butts, evidenced by water stains on their backsides?

This wasn't really a "posh" place anymore, although it had been at one time. I can only afford to stay in palazzos that have seen better days.

As I recall, however, there were towels. As one might expect to find in a bathroom anyway?

10 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This wasn't really a "posh" place anymore, although it had been at one time. I can only afford to stay in palazzos that have seen better days.

As I recall, however, there were towels. As one might expect to find in a bathroom anyway?

Right. So, unless they were paper (which may defeat the bidet purpose slightly) I hope they were "use once toss in hamper" towels!

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

She showed me the well-appointed bathroom that included a bidet. Her English was better than my Italian, but not great, and she pointed to the bidet, and explained very carefully and with some dignity and pride that it was "for de washing of de ass."

Brilliant!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

From what I gathered on the web when I got the first one, in the east they are relatively normal, unlike the west. Imo, it's the west that really should catch up. These things are brilliant.

Apparently in eastern hotels it's normal to provide small towels for the purpose - several because nobody wants to use someone else's towel 😲  I have towels about 12" square, sold as facecloths but bought for this purpose.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I can't help wondering, if I got my use of "Brilliant!" from you! And if we mean it the same way!

Maybe you did lol. I use it as meaning 'excellent' and maybe a bit better than excellent. I don't use is as meaning bright and shiny, or as a super high intellect.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

Just now, Phil Deakins said:
3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I can't help wondering, if I got my use of "Brilliant!" from you! And if we mean it the same way!

Maybe you did lol. I use it as meaning 'excellent' and maybe a bit better than excellent. I don't use is as meaning bright and shiny.

I use it as "Great idea, but at the same time somehow a little counter-intuitive!" - so, at least a little sardonically. It gives me a way to compliment people who otherwise I may often disagree with. Most often used as a way to categorize my own "out there" ideas.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Probably had nothing to do with that, just practical advice or warning, in case you wanted to use it for something else😅

I have a friend who runs a country house b&b in the Venetian countryside. A couple of years ago, while I was there visiting family, she brought me up to the rooms to show me novel uses for the bidet that her foreign guests had found. Examples:

- watermelon cooler (they had filled it with water)

- baby bottles washing station

- fruit washing station

- beer cooler (they had filled it with ice)

- plant cuttings storage 

I am sure there are more…

• Haha 2

On 7/26/2022 at 8:20 AM, Lindal Kidd said:

Yes it will. Gift yourself a year's Prime membership now, at the low rate...but don't cash in the gift you receive from yourself until just before renewal. The only tricky part is setting yourself a reminder to do it.

If only I knew about this in Feb.  Prime membership in the US went from $119 to $139 on Feb 18.  Mine doesn't renew until Sept, but it is too late to do a gifting at the $119 price.  I will have to remember this in the future for price increases.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 646 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.