Some like it hot!

Rat Luv

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 794 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Wow I might be doing it all wrong 8-/

I wont hesitate to eat a raw Jalapeno 🤯🧨🔥 every now and then and I also ADORE raw capsicum, (green or red), generally with a mild
pine, lime & lemon cordial with vintage cheeses in summer. (What we call capsicum is not even hot ofc).
I also eat raw "birdseye" chilis from our garden, (little ones), but I don't chew those, just gulp down one every couple of days.
We also have a fave pizza from the legendary woodfired pizza shop owned by a 1st gen Italian/Australian pizza wizard up the road.
It's a meatlovers absolutely dripping with sweet chili/honey sauce. 😻
I once went to a Thai restaurant with friends to eat the "hottest chilis in the world"🙄 and didn't even really bat an eyelid at the "hotness". 
My understanding of eating chilis are the awesome benefits to ones physical well being/systems. ❤️ Essential metinx. 🤔    

Edited by Maryanne Solo
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Maryanne Solo said:

I once went to a Thai restaurant with friends to eat the "hottest chilis in the world"🙄 and didn't even really bat an eyelid at the "hotness". 

It's weird! I find Bhut Jolokia so much more intense than Carolina Reaper, even though it's not supposed to be...also, in the UK, vindaloos and phaals are seen as the most extreme curries you can get in restaurants, but I've had both and they weren't that bad...but I once had a meat kata masala with fresh red chillis, and every bite was agony, I couldn't even talk because it was like waves of facial pain 🥵

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 3

Since the introduction of chili peppers in the East Indies, pepper sauces of many varieties have been integral to the Malaysian and Indonesian kitchen. There, they're referred to as 'sambal'. They're similar to curries in India, and contain all kinds of wonderful additional spices and herbs and vegetables, prepared in all kinds of ways, from coarsely diced, to finely ground with a pestle, raw or fried.

image.thumb.jpeg.65a68a655098617c861c5b3afc2abee1.jpeg

I never had the Sambal stingray (picture above), but the name's awesome. If it's not on the endangered species list, I'd sure like to try it some day.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

What's a "real Cajun"?

In my opinion: A person who claims Cajun ancestry, lived in / came from areas common to Cajuns, are aware of Cajun culture and heritage.  

Trick question?

I tell you what. Strike the word "real". Fine with you now?

Edited by Love Zhaoying
I swear, it's like that post where someone conflated gumbo and jambalaya. Good luck going to a restaurant and asking for "gumbo jambalaya"!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nope, nope, nope, can't stand hot foods. Blame the Irish "beef and potato stew is all you need" genes.

It astonishes me the lengths that some folks go to though for spicy. Had a coworker once take me out to a place where he ordered it so hot his face was red and he was crying/weeping. Said he loved it.

*shrugs*

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I don't like super-hot sauce but I do like some of them. Cholula is one of my favourites, and tabasco is also a regular standby for almost anything I eat.  I also love to cook with fresh chillies.

I won't be touching them Reapers or Ghost peppers or anythng of the sort though.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

I'm the type that picks ice cream in a snowstorm.

I don't know that I'd pick ice cream in a snowstorm, but on the other end of the temperature range, I'll still hava a hot coffee or hot latte even if it's 100 F outside (and I get irritated when I order a latte in the summer and the barrista asked "iced?" - if I had wanted an iced latte, I would have ordered it as an iced latte).  

As far as hot sauces and chiles, I try to stay as far away from them as possible. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I never had the Sambal stingray (picture above), but the name's awesome. If it's not on the endangered species list, I'd sure like to try it some day.

Some species are endangered, but the ones we eat I think come from fish farm, though some are fished from the open sea. There was a giant one caught in Cambodia recently (they didn't eat him, they let him go)

image.jpeg.4129951a5e0c4ec0bd8834531b0d3f20.jpeg

But yes sambal stingray is delicious. 😋 It's a very tender, slightly stringy fish, and sambal + calamansi lime is a perfect combo of spicy, sweet and sour.

The hottest food I've had is tom yum soup. If they cook it with the chili seeds still in it's positively lethal. I've made a milder version at home.

image.jpeg.50d01e1120ef2fb75ebedb50841b4c46.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

In my opinion: A person who claims Cajun ancestry, lived in / came from areas common to Cajuns, are aware of Cajun culture and heritage.  

Trick question?

I tell you what. Strike the word "real". Fine with you now?

I spent two plus years living in Eunice Louisiana, smack dab in the middle of Acadiana. Found if the sun simply rises, the Cajuns would have a festival. Had some really good times learning the Cajun lifestyle. A cafe around the corner from where I worked had the best Cajun cheesyburgers (they were so freakin' good). Did my first and only Mardi Gras in Mamou (never mind New Orleans. N.O. has nothing on Mamou). Did the mudbugs (suck the head) and saw my first Boudin (a sausage for those wondering. Word of warning, if one has a moderate hangover, don't look at a three hour or more boudin in a box. It's really disgusting).

If I had the $, I'd go back in an instant.

Edited by Chassie Rowley
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Chassie Rowley said:

I spent two plus years living in Eunice Louisiana, smack dab in the middle of Acadiana. Found if the sun simply rises, the Cajuns would have a festival. Had some really good times learning the Cajun lifestyle. A cafe around the corner from where I worked had the best Cajun cheesyburgers (they were so freakin' good). Did my first and only Mardi Gras in Mamou (never mind New Orleans. N.O. has nothing on Mamou). Did the mudbugs (suck the head) and saw my first Boudin (a sausage for those wondering. Word of warning, if one has a moderate hangover, don't look at a three hour or more boudin in a box. It's really disgusting).

If I had the $, I'd go back in an instant.

Too bad you weren't around for blood boudin before a bunch of idiots got it outlawed.

Grandfather's fishing boat was Big Mamou. 😉

Oh and Eunice still sucks. lol Just not as bad as SLeezeville. 🤣

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Akane Nacht said:

The hottest food I've had is tom yum soup. If they cook it with the chili seeds still in it's positively lethal. I've made a milder version at home.

I LOVE Tom Yum soup 🌶️:P But with the chilli seeds in...😈

It's an amazing cold-buster! And tastes incredible...

• Like 1

I think it’s mainly due to my growing up in a Scottish household (can you say bland, unspicy food?!?) but as a little girl BBQ potato chips were too much for me!!  It’s funny you mention Carolina reaper… about a month ago a friend at work gave me a handful of Carolina reaper flavored.peanuts as a joke… and I haven’t felt like physically attacking some like I did my co worker once I realized what I had just eaten…needless to say he’s steered clear of me ever since!!

long story short, I can’t handle Spicy to save my life! 

• Like 5

Another vote for Horseradish and Wasabi 💚 as the preferred punch of choice (low oxalate too @kali Wylder)

I have enough friends who having drowned everything in chili for years now can't taste anything unless it's downed in chili, bit of franks on wings and rooster on ramen is enough for me, give me a well rounded Indian curry with depth and complexity every day of the week instead.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Akane Nacht said:

Some species are endangered, but the ones we eat I think come from fish farm, though some are fished from the open sea. There was a giant one caught in Cambodia recently (they didn't eat him, they let him go)

image.jpeg.4129951a5e0c4ec0bd8834531b0d3f20.jpeg

But yes sambal stingray is delicious. 😋 It's a very tender, slightly stringy fish, and sambal + calamansi lime is a perfect combo of spicy, sweet and sour.

That looks yummy right there..

I was thinking about making some sort of stew or pot roast tomorrow.. That dish is inspiring some ideas for my dish tomorrow. :)

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 794 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.