The USA is not necessarily a reflection of the world

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 680 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

14 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

@Amanda Crisp

The thirteen colonies were not mini-countries, they were English commercial colonies set up to harvest goods in the America's to trade back to England. They were there for purely for business, not to build new countries.

As businesses, they were not eligible for representation in the English parliament as they were technically not part of England, but privately owned overseas business enterprises instead.

The thirteen colonies were also used as penal colonies which gave English prisoners the choice of starting a useful new life elsewhere, rather than being executed or rotting in an English prison.

The thirteen colonies were managed by the Virginia Company, a trading company based in the City of London which had a special licence from the Crown which guaranteed trading exclusivety and military protection.

Other such companies include the East India Trading Company, whose flag the United States"borrowed" (stole) to become the first US flag in 1777. 

The 13 original colonies were started as investments by wealthy companies, but they were formed of men and women who were people. The people put in their blood, sweat and tears to create lives for themselves, not just to enrich the pockets of foreign investors. Over time they created communities and governing bodies that decided they'd had enough of being thralls to foreign interests, so they revolted and won their independence. After that there was a good deal of arguing and negotiations between the 13 states until they came up with workable compromises to hold this union of states together.

Nearly 250 years later, most of us are still struggling to survive and thrive while working as thralls to wealthy corporations, we're still arguing, and we're still trying to find workable compromises to our disagreements.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

The thirteen colonies were managed by the Virginia Company, a trading company based in the City of London which had a special licence from the Crown which guaranteed trading exclusivety and military protection.

The Virginia Company of London was only in charge of Virginia, which was the first of the 13 colonies. It went out of business in 1624 (prior to the founding of most of the other colonies.)

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Virginia-Company

Another reason for the Revolutionary War was when the settlers became tired of dealing with people across the Atlantic who had no idea what they were talking about.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

36 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Whachu dun did dat for hai?

If I dun tol ya once, I dun tol ya a millyon time, I dun fix dat fo y'all.

Pretty sure how I was taught, there was no "t" in "filé" but yeah, jambalaya and gumbo are 2 different things. Stepmom is Cajun. I usually have ground gumbo filé powder around the house, it's ground sassafras leaves if I recall correctly. Yep. Google shows pictures of the brands I use. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filé_powder

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Another reason for the Revolutionary War was when the settlers became tired of dealing with people across the Atlantic who had no idea what they were talking about.

I see what you did there. Brilliant!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

the East India Company, whose flag the United States "borrowed" (stole) to become the first US flag in 1777.

And you also stole the tune for your national anthem from a London-based private gentleman's club called the Anacreon Society

We stole "Yankee Doodle" too. If you don't bother enforcing your copyrights...well, you see what happens!

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Pretty sure how I was taught, there was no "t" in "filé" but yeah, jambalaya and gumbo are 2 different things. Stepmom is Cajun. I usually have ground gumbo filé powder around the house, it's ground sassafras leaves if I recall correctly. Yep. Google shows pictures of the brands I use. 

Silent may be making a point about the Native American influence on the US as a country, since Gumbo comes from a mix of European, Native American and West African culinary traditions. I picked Jambalaya because the name means a mixture or jumble of different things, but the more cultural traditions as tossed into the recipe, the better it is as a metaphor for the United States of America. 

• Like 2

on the OP, what happens legislatively in USA is pretty important to residents from other countries. So we from outside of the USA take a interest in US politics. Politics is the driver for legislation

is quite a number of examples. Like these 3

the gambling ban. Because of a USA legislative requirement then Linden (being a USA company) had to do it

separation of adult activities from general (under 18 activities) when the Main and Teen grids were amalgamated. Which resulted in Zindra. Linden didn't have to amalgamate Main and Teen, but when they did then G,M,A. Zindra = A because of USA legislation

Linden/Tilia has to comply with FINSEC requirements. So we everywhere, have to provide our realworld details to take money out of the platform. LInden/Tilia FINSEC-required to know their own customers.  A consequence of which was the elimination of L$ trading on 3rd-party platforms

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

@Amanda Crisp

The thirteen colonies were not mini-countries, they were English commercial settlements set up to harvest and ship goods from the America's back to England. They were there only for business, not to build new countries.

As businesses, they were not eligible for representation in the English parliament as they were not part of England proper, they were initially only privately owned overseas business enterprises instead.

To have give these trading colonies represented in England's parliament would have been as weird and ridiculous as giving McDonalds and Disney their own representatives in todays US Congress.

The thirteen colonies were also used as penal colonies which gave English prisoners the choice of starting a useful new life elsewhere, rather than being executed or rotting in an English prison.

The thirteen colonies were managed by trading companies based in the City of London which had special licences from the Crown which guaranteed trading exclusivity and military protection. They later became Crown Colonies after companies failed and were liquidated.

Other such British trading companies include the East India Company, whose flag the United States "borrowed" (stole) to become the first US flag in 1777.

And the US also stole the tune for their national anthem from a London-based private gentleman's club called the Anacreon Society who had a song called "Anacreon In Heaven", which they sang at their meetings.

True enough at first, but they rebelled to BECOME mini countries in a larger organization, as established by the non-federalized government that was initially created.

Things have evolved since then in a different direction, but that was the thinking behind the use of the “United States” as initially birthed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yes that is the correct spelling but I don't do all that fancy schmancy character crap, so the t lets people know I don't mean one of these:

s-l300.jpg

Or one of these:

30_What-is-a-zip-file_Hero.jpg

Whatever you do, do NOT hang around in Avoyelles Parish.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:
2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yes that is the correct spelling but I don't do all that fancy schmancy character crap, so the t lets people know I don't mean one of these:

s-l300.jpg

Or one of these:

Ya'll makin' me pull out the Hank Williams Sr.  If it is swirling around in my brain, then you have to have it, too.

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

And the US also stole the tune for their national anthem from a London-based private gentleman's club called the Anacreon Society who had a song called "Anacreon In Heaven", which they sang at their meetings.

That's true, your absolutely right. Thank you.

The melody Key assigned to accompany the lyrics of “The Star-Spangled Banner” was a popular English drinking song called “To Anacreon in Heaven.” Written around 1775 by John Stafford Smith, the song honored the ancient Greek poet Anacreon, a lover of wine.

The Star Spangled Banner did not become the official US anthem until 1931.

President Woodrow Wilson adopted the song as a de facto “national anthem” in 1916 but did not codify this ruling. In 1929, “House Resolution 14” was presented to Congress to name “The Star-Spangled Banner” as the official national anthem to the United States.

The official anthem has the second and third verses removed. Scholars debate the question of them being racist, as references are made to the British policy of freeing enslaved people that switched sides.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

s-l300.jpg

Or one of these:

Perish the thought.

Although, I do like Maxfield Parrish's Art.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mollymews said:

on the OP, what happens legislatively in USA is pretty important to residents from other countries. So we from outside of the USA take a interest in US politics. Politics is the driver for legislation

not just America - data privacy matters were put in the spotlight due to the EU GDPR and suddenly we all had to put cookie disclaimers (much good they do hehe)

domestic American laws and social issues are not necessarily that relevant to other countries though

10 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I'm always curious, Do people on the other side of the pond put pineapple on their pizza too

hold my beer...

pineapple, banana, tofu, sambal (shrimp paste), pork floss, squid rings, mayonnaise, chili peppers, bbq pork, curry chicken, beef rendang, cheese sausages, smoked duck, tom yum, chocolate, apples. If it will stay on the pizza, we'll put it there!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Akane Nacht said:

hold my beer...

pineapple, banana, tofu, sambal (shrimp paste), pork floss, squid rings, mayonnaise, chili peppers, bbq pork, curry chicken, beef rendang, cheese sausages, smoked duck, tom yum, chocolate, apples. If it will stay on the pizza, we'll put it there!

I'll hold your pen, apple, pineapple, pen.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

The official anthem has the second and third verses removed. Scholars debate the question of them being racist, as references are made to the British policy of freeing enslaved people that switched sides.

Ironic, as the "high note" part (the hard parts of the original drinking song) references the "Land of the Free" in the main verse.

Now about those other countries, since you mentioned Britain. Opinions? Asking since I want to start my day learning on topic! 

* Side note: It's ironic which bits of the information are knowledge I've retained (let's assume it's "common knowledge") vs. not ("refresh trivia memory banks"). *

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:
5 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

I see what you did there. Brilliant!

It is somewhat Brilliant to see the contortions!

"Let's hear opinions of people from other countries"

* people from other countries provide opinions..about the US..and provide common knowledge trivia missing large bits and pieces * 

• Like 1

America's inability/unwillingness to understand the psyche of another nation is sometimes tremendously useful .

When Obama visited to tell us "you will  go to the back of the queue" it was the single most powerful rallying cry of the whole debate   , he delivered an ace card to his opposition . Hundreds of thousands got off the fence to put two fingers up at his arrogance 🤣

Mate of mine left Belfast as a young man to find work in Chicago , lasted 2 years and hated every minute of it . Maybe 10 years later recounting the story to me he shook his head incredulously "they think the potato famine is still going on"

Edited by cunomar
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, cunomar said:

America's inability/unwillingness to understand the psyche of another nation is sometimes tremendously useful .

When Obama visited to tell us "you will  go to the back of the queue" it was the single most powerful rallying cry of the whole debate   , he delivered an ace card to his opposition . Hundreds of thousands got off the fence to put two fingers up at his arrogance 🤣

Mate of mine left Belfast as a young man to find work in Chicago , lasted 2 years and hated every minute of it . Maybe 10 years later recounting the story to me he shook his head incredulously "they think the potato famine is still going on"

Why is it only on Americans to understand you? It should be a two-way street. Seems most on here don't even understand America (hence the op to begin with) yet we are suppose to bow and bend to your liking. You like to put us into a single basket. Me being from the New England region of America, I barely have anything in common with Americans from other parts of the country. I am just as close to Germany as I am to San Francisco. It's literally the same flight time. If someone from Germany flew east for roughly the same amount of time they'd likely be in China. How much do Germans and the Chinese have in common? The only thing we all have in common, well for the most part, most of us speak English. Shoot sometimes we need subtitles to watch certain shows like swamp people and that moonshine show because we can't understand their accents and slang.  And whenever I go anywhere outside of New England I get teased for my Boston accent. Maybe after 200+ years we are still trying to understand eachother. So I guess you'll have to go to the back of the queue.

Edited by Finite
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Finite said:

How much do Germans and the Chinese have in common? The only thing we all have in common, well for the most part, most of us speak English. Shoot sometimes we need subtitles to watch certain shows like swamp people and that moonshine show because we can't understand their accents and slang.  And whenever I go anywhere outside of New England I get teased for my Boston accent. Maybe after 200+ years we are still trying to understand eachother. So I guess you'll have to go to the back of the queue.

I agree, I am not American, I live in Ireland (the south or ROI, to please some of the hardliners) but I spent an insane amount of time and my university years (about 10 years) in Kentucky.

I have a deep affection for the place and the people, I miss it and hopefully at some point I’ll go back once the kids are a bit older. To me it looks like every State is a nation, actually even within a single State, the difference between country and city way of living, speech, etc is huge. I would never think of NYC and Upstate as the same place! 
Ireland has a long history and connection with the USA, yes we look to the US not just as a trading partner but also as a “friend”, hence the obsession with US elections over here 😊

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 680 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.