LL Announces New LGBTQ+ Community Page

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 702 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

15 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Argue with me in one post then agree with me in the next, I'll never have to ask you to prove you're female!

Yay! I proved I'm female. 🤣

No. Actually this proves one can agree with some points a person makes while also disagreeing with others. This is what happens when one considers different perspectives and consequences, rather than just toing a party line or reacting to whatever perspective bubble is thought to be opposed to that of one's own social construct group.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

For a more complete listing of destinations and groups in SL, I know work was being done on this last year, because I was approached to add a Rainbow Sails YC entry.

https://slpridedirectory.com

The Search function doesn't seem too great but you can use the icon that looks like an upturned plunger in the search to find listings that have included specific keywords.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't see how making a community page about furries is a PR stunt. 😂 The fact that they want to include them in their community project suggests the opposite to me, given how the fandom is often misunderstood and portrayed in RL. Personally, I'm glad they'll be included. 

I had my reservations at the beginning when this project first launched, but I've been pleasantly surprised by the second page and I'm super excited to see what else they do. As for how useful it is - it's pretty useful for me (but again, I would've preferred having a list of some businesses to go and support since these days all I do is shop 😂). Having a page full of events, regions, and destinations gives me some new places to go check out at least.

Overall, it seems like LL wants to stress that SL is a place for everyone. And that's precisely why my butt stays around.

Edit: Groups - having some of the bigger community groups on the page might help, too. And businesses! ❤️

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Added stuffs
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Yay! I proved I'm female. 🤣

No. Actually this proves one can agree with some points a person makes while also disagreeing with others. This is what happens when one considers different perspectives and consequences, rather than just toing a party line or reacting to whatever perspective bubble is thought to be opposed to that of one's own social construct group.

@Scylla Rhiadraseemed to stop taking me so seriously before you did.

4 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Although if they call it the "Anthro community" page it will be the biggest swing and a miss ever.

What would you call it? I mean I would just call it the Furry Community page. As it encompasses everyone in that community. 

• Like 3

I think Anthro is a more general term than furry, which could be somewhat specific, depending. I mean, there are birds, reptiles, fish, amphibians, and other assorted anthro avatars that are technically not furry but still part of the community, soooo I guess using Anthro is more inclusive?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I think Anthro is a more general term than furry, which could be somewhat specific, depending. I mean, there are birds, reptiles, fish, amphibians, and other assorted anthro avatars that are technically not furry but still part of the community, soooo I guess using Anthro is more inclusive?

Yes, but not all furries are anthropomorphic? So "Anthro" would exclude those representing as non-bipedal animals?

(God, I know soooo little about this.)

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yes, but not all furries are anthropomorphic? So "Anthro" would exclude those representing as non-bipedal animals?

(God, I know soooo little about this.)

Oh gosh. But I thought furry referred to the anthro variety. AHHHHH much confusion (on my part).

Ok I like Solar's explanation. 😄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not to be that person but ... a mermaid is one of those types that would fall under more than one heading, depending on the non-aquatic half.

Then you get the endless arguments over Hybrids (Neko, Kitsune and such) and if they "qualify" as being part of the Furry community (consider them as part)!

ETA: @Ayashe NinetailsThat is how I remember and recall it being presented well over twenty years ago now.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

Not to be that person but ... a mermaid is one of those types that would fall under more than one heading, depending on the non-aquatic half.

I'm suddenly reminded of the super cute Hello Kitty mermaid merch. 😂 Don't Dinkies have a mermaid mod? I could've sworn...yes...Mercats! There ya go...mermaids can be furries, too.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

ETA: @Ayashe NinetailsThat is how I remember and recall it being presented well over twenty years ago now.

Yup, I do believe you're right! For some reason, I thought Anthro was the umbrella term that everything else kind of fell under, but I think I had it backwards. Furry is the all-inclusive, with different communities underneath. It just feels so strange to me to call a dragon a furry, though it technically is, but...it's not...but... 😄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Yup, I do believe you're right! For some reason, I thought Anthro was the umbrella term that everything else kind of fell under, but I think I had it backwards. Furry is the all-inclusive, with different communities underneath. It just feels so strange to me to call a dragon a furry, though it technically is, but...it's not...but... 😄

Going by what was done years back, a Dragon would be a part of the Furry community, Scalie sub-community.

It gets even more complex when one tries to further subdivide into things like Mythicals, Hybrids, Original Species and such.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm afraid to ask this but . . . where does Neko fit in? Is it a part of this community, or too anthropomorpic?

Cuz if I were going to experiment with any of these, it would be Neko.

That is ... A hotly debated bit for many. To me, Nekos fit in with the Furry Community, as part of the Hybrid sub-community - the same with any of the more Humanoid With Animal Parts type Hybrids.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 4

As far as the furry community goes, it is a difficult one to do as the SL community can be said to be different to the RL one. So LL would have to be careful with regards to this.

For example, a person in RL identifying as a Furry is an actual thing which other people would not consider being a part of even if they like dress up etc. In SL however a furry could be a person that identifies in RL as one but also a person that simply likes to be one in SL (for example due to being able to get a body cheaper than a human avatar or not wanting to be a human like everyone else), RP one or be a feral etc, but doesn't identify as one in RL or as part of the RL community.

This was the same problem in early SL where the furry community was shunned due to the perception that SL's furry community is the same as the RL community with all the stigma's that went with it, when in essence the SL community was different due to having a combination of RL and SL only variants.

It therefore makes it harder for LL to define the community as they have done with the current two which are the same in SL and RL.

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

@Scylla RhiadraYou got it in one actually. "Furry" was (not certain it still is) used for quite some time as a catchbin term for the larger community with the non-furred variants type specified as sub-communities.

Exactly. If they don't explicitly call it Furry .. it's not going to land with the "anthro" community at all.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 702 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.