Dumbest Ads In The World

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 741 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

16 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Did people bathe like once a week or something back then? I always see the old comedies like three stooges, where they sometimes comment about it being saturday  or it's not saturday yet.. That being like bath day or something.

Apparently in the early 1900s people typically bathed once a week (probably on Sat evening so they were clean for Sunday church).  In the mid 1900s, indoor plumbing became more common and homes started having modern bathrooms.  That was roughly when folks started bathing more often, usually daily.

I saw a few notes that said in the Victorian times of the 1800s, those with a bathtub would bathe a few times a month, while the really poor would often only bathe once a year (eek).  Of course, back then, doctors also thought that bathing was bad for your health.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Apparently in the early 1900s people typically bathed once a week (probably on Sat evening so they were clean for Sunday church).  In the mid 1900s, indoor plumbing became more common and homes started having modern bathrooms.  That was roughly when folks started bathing more often, usually daily.

It didn't even cross my mind about people not bathing as much until seeing a bunch of these adds.. They probably had more freshen up time than bath times..

I wonder when it really started to become more common daily thing..

I could see someone going from no plumbing to plumbing and saying something like, now we can have three bathes a week.. hehehe

Myself, I have to shower when I wake up and before bed.. Sometimes even if it's a really hot day, I'll squeeze a cold one in between there somewhere..   hehehehe

A shower is my answer for migraines ,crabbyness and just getting away from everyone for a little bit..

I don't think I would have survived back then..lol

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I saw a few notes that said in the Victorian times of the 1800s, those with a bathtub would bathe a few times a month, while the really poor would often only bathe once a year (eek).  Of course, back then, doctors also thought that bathing was bad for your health.

That is quite true if you've every wondered why a bride carries a bouquet on her wedding, back in those times the scent of the flowers were used to mask the stench that resulted from washing as little as once a year

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This one just cracked me up

image.thumb.jpeg.efbc1c93b27afff3f2bcb1f292928265.jpeg

Looking at the hairstyle that I think is from the 1970's - which was a peak period for the women's lib movement, Cosmo and Playgirl - I'm guessing this ad is playing with the idea that these hair & skin products look like vibrators.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

In the late 1920's to early 1930s, my mother's mother had to heat water for their baths on the stove, so the water had to be used sparingly. I'm pretty sure they bathed more than once/ week, but it wasn't every day. The bath tub was in the kitchen. The first bath would be for her baby sister, then her younger brother in the same water, then mom's bath in the same water her brother had just used. She said she used to complain that she didn't want to use the same bath water her brother had just been in. Then her mother would take her bath in fresh water & add more hot water afterward for her father. My mother remembers her mother telling her father to take his bath before the water got cold, but he'd still wait around until it was cold, so then grandmother had to heat more water. She didn't want him getting into bed dirty when she'd just washed, dried and put on fresh sheets, but sometimes he did anyway. He was a wine grape farmer, so he was pretty dirty at the end of the day. Aside from housework, her mother also had to make butter, can food, sew and mend clothes for the family, and cook everything from scratch.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Also, can't imagine having to lug bucket after bucket of water from the prime to fill a hip bath... 

• Like 2

Playing currently:

It's the script that makes it so dumb:

Facebook is taking action to keep its platform safe.

• Over 40,000 people are working on safety and security. That's more than the size of the FBI.
  • Sixteen billion dollars was spent in the last year, enough to build seven pro stadiums.
  • More than 40 million people are using Facebook "Privacy Checkup" each month. That's nearly sixty times the population of Washington DC.

And they're doing all of this to keep people on the platform safe.

The FBI, not the military? or the cast of "The Music Man"?
Sixty times DC, sure, but how about Bakersfield?
After all those "pro stadiums" how many bowling alleys could we build with Zuckerberg's pocket change and may I have a pony?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

In the late 1920's to early 1930s, my mother's mother had to heat water for their baths on the stove, so the water had to be used sparingly. I'm pretty sure they bathed more than once/ week, but it wasn't every day. The bath tub was in the kitchen. The first bath would be for her baby sister, then her younger brother in the same water, then mom's bath in the same water her brother had just used. She said she used to complain that she didn't want to use the same bath water her brother had just been in. Then her mother would take her bath in fresh water & add more hot water afterward for her father. My mother remembers her mother telling her father to take his bath before the water got cold, but he'd still wait around until it was cold, so then grandmother had to heat more water. She didn't want him getting into bed dirty when she'd just washed, dried and put on fresh sheets, but sometimes he did anyway. He was a wine grape farmer, so he was pretty dirty at the end of the day. Aside from housework, her mother also had to make butter, can food, sew and mend clothes for the family, and cook everything from scratch.

The lucky one got to use the first or second bathwater, before it got too dark!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Annoying, and reminds me of something I saw in Mexico a lot -- coke in baby bottles  :(

ad child cola.jpg

Of Course this was a spoof and parody ad made in 2002 in Fictional Urbanism. 

http://thecitydesk.net/baby_soda_ad/

and  https://www.foodpolitics.com/2021/04/the-vintage-coke-parody-ad-strikes-again/

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1

It's a shame I won't be alive to watch in the future when younger people start making fun of the things you grew up with. I imagine you won't like the way it feels either.

Rain on my parade and I'll poop on yours. 😛

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1

haha...ads on vehicles gone wrong!  I had personal experience of this with a cousin whose logo I designed for his company, and the painters totally botched the name of his company when they painted his van. Nothing as disastrous as some of these though!

https://www.buzzfeed.com/christopherhudspeth/hilarious-advertising-fails-on-vehicles

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:
18 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Annoying, and reminds me of something I saw in Mexico a lot -- coke in baby bottles  :(

ad child cola.jpg

Expand  

Of Course this was a spoof and parody ad made in 2002 in Fictional Urbanism. 

http://thecitydesk.net/baby_soda_ad/

and  https://www.foodpolitics.com/2021/04/the-vintage-coke-parody-ad-strikes-again/

It's good that you point out parody ads -- I was not aware there are so many out there.

However it's good to keep in mind that a parody, a kind of hyperbolic presentation of an issue created for laughs, usually points to a reality, and the reality is that soda companies have mercilessly tried to paint their product as healthful. Coke and Pepsi are actually corporate sponsors of the Academy Of Nutrition And Dietetics and try to influence public perception wherever they can, and target children, low-income, and minority communities.
Their advertising efforts succeeded in Mexico where I frequently witnessed coke in baby bottles.

Review of a good book about the issues -- 'Soda Politics'.

https://www.foodpolitics.com/soda-politics-taking-on-big-soda-and-winning/

4 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Yeah, as Maher says, some who consider themselves 'woke' likely are tolerating things that will make them cringe in 25 years. This only means they need to wake up more!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

It's a shame I won't be alive to watch in the future when younger people start making fun of the things you grew up with. I imagine you won't like the way it feels either.

Rain on my parade and I'll poop on yours. 😛

They already do! 

It's funny watching an older streamer on Twitch (say, mid 30s to mid 40s and up) mention something like discontinued foods, hair bands, old 80s commercials and infomercials, retro video games (C64, MS-DOS, Atari, etc.), or cartoons or something and some people jump in with the nostalgia and the younger chatters who are late teens to early 20s have no Earthly idea what is even going on. It's fun for me watching people discover that stuff for the first time. The 80s were certainly a time.

Hell, just the other night, I heard someone say he "grew up with Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare" - that game came out in 2007. 🤣Imagining all the fun/hilarious/stupid/dumb stuff he missed out on makes me sad. Like damn...he wasn't even alive for the original Mortal Kombat! Or Pulp Fiction. Or Jurassic Park. Or...Beanie Babies...

I'm an 80s kid, so I'm kind of guilty of making fun of my own stuff, too. Except toys and games. 80s toys were the absolute best (but were far more likely to kill ya than anything else - had to have been before all those "small parts" warnings). Looking at you, Lite-Brite and Operation!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Yeah I had a relative who was alive up until about 2000 who was born in the 20's, and she talked about having her weekly bath on Sunday nights to get ready for work. She had her 'hair done' on Saturday's so I guess that's the only time it was washed.
Maybe she did some "freshen ups" in between, as Ceka mentioned. I never detected a smell.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

So many ads about um, feminine hygiene!

Yeah how convenient -- women's bodies, their sexuality and bodily functions, are frequently viewed as 'bad' by society and then advertising offers a solution.

"Women have long been fed the not-so-covert message that our bodies are something to be ashamed of. This message is even stronger when it comes to our intimate areas, especially our *****s. It’s one of the major sources of gender oppression, and it’s such a taboo topic that it’s become an almost-overlooked kind of misogyny".

https://seawitchbotanicals.com/blogs/swb/a-brief-history-on-*****s-shame-misogyny-and-empowerment

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I'm an 80s kid, so I'm kind of guilty of making fun of my own stuff, too. Except toys and games. 80s toys were the absolute best (but were far more likely to kill ya than anything else - had to have been before all those "small parts" warnings). Looking at you, Lite-Brite and Operation!

Yeah. All the good stuff came out after I graduated high school in '77.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Yeah. All the good stuff came out after I graduated high school in '77.

Put good in quotes, there. It wasn't all good. Some of that stuff was straight up deadly!

4172289bc4c9ead7198d8428c469cefe_w200.gi

Pogo sticks (and the more younger child-friendly Pogo Ball) were out to get us ALL!!!!!!!

But no, there were some amazing things that came out of the 70s, too. I'm not even gonna lie - I love some of the fashion, personally. I missed a lot of that. 80s fashion sucks!!! Yes I said it! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 741 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.