Dumbest Ads In The World

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 725 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Way off-topic for me to address this, so it's the only thing I'll say on this topic. "Woke" as an adjective was and is AAVE, and the only way I ever use (and acknowledge) the word. I don't use it in that context when not speaking with other Black people. "I woke up from a nap" - sure. "Stay woke" - hell nah. That's just me. Everyone's got their own comfort level with that. Matters not to me who co-opted it and how it's used today. I stick with its traditional usage. "We" never actually stopped using it that way in our social groups and communities (like Black Twitter and other spaces), so I don't know if there's anything to reclaim there.

It's great you and your friends are maintaining your definition of what woke is.

What I'm worried about though is how the far right has redefined the concept of 'woke' and are now using the power of the law and their influence with schools to harm Black people. They rile up their base to get votes by making them fear a 'woke' culture they claim is out to destroy them. This could have major detrimental effects on Black people as their representation in History and their voice via equal ability to vote is minimized.

Here's a bit more info on it:
https://bit.ly/3IKFA7I

Good ad btw...maybe we should post some good ads too, or ones we like.

woke weaponized to undue social justice.png

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

The 'woke' term has been culturally misappropriated to a degree where it has not only lost its original meaning but taken on a comedic slant in some quarters. 

It has, but I'm not as concerned about what celebrities and comedians do, but I am worried about people getting hurt by those who use 'woke' in ways that are destructive to others in major ways.

https://bit.ly/3IKFA7I

7 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Long before Etch-a-Sketch, there was Wooly Willy (and many variations).  Iron filings, anyone?

Wooly Willy was, ironically, used in ads for shaving!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wooly_Willy

Wooly_Willy_01.jpg

ww.jpg

I have a bucket full of magnetite I scavenged off the beach when I was a kid. If I put a rare earth magnet (scavenged from a hard drive) in my mouth and press it to my cheek with my tongue, the magnetite will stick to my skin. My ex-hubby rolled his eyes when I gave the demonstration. I thought I had potential as a bearded lady.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Can't believe it.  Surely it's a parody, isn't it??    :(

Not parody. I mean, I've seen a lot worse happen recently (look up the Ulta/Kate Spade kerfuffle - that one's bonkers), so at this point, I always think these things are intentional! And omg, look at the Bud Light ad mentioned in here, too:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-macys-advertising/bloomingdales-spiked-eggnog-ad-sparks-outrage-on-social-media-idUSKCN0T12O020151112

41 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

What I'm worried about though is how the far right...

That's probably the one thing I don't worry about. 😂 AAVE has been co-opted by sooooo many people since the Internet exploded (well, the words - the grammar is never right - in fact, there's a Twitter account that posts nothing but AAVE fails and "struggle tweets" and it's flippin' HILARIOUS) that if we worried about all that, we'd never get anything else done. I mean of course, academics and scholars and activists are right to point that out, but ya know...

I'm just surprised we haven't had any AAVE fail ads!!! Or were there? *thinks*

24 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:
1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

Can't believe it.  Surely it's a parody, isn't it??    :(

Not parody.

Though I can't recall any specific examples, my emergency backup kid has mentioned what I'll call "backlash" advertising in the bars of northern Wisconsin. I imagine the Boomingdale's ad might play well "up-nort", if it were for a gun company.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Though I can't recall any specific examples, my emergency backup kid has mentioned what I'll call "backlash" advertising in the bars of northern Wisconsin. I imagine the Boomingdale's ad might play well "up-nort", if it were for a gun company.

Mhm, I fully believe it's a marketing tactic. It happens FAR too often for it to be an innocent "oops." Companies know it'll go viral and all they have to do is type up a quick nonsense apology and it's all good. 🤑

*looks up* Omg that Dolce & Gabbana ad.

3 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Mhm, I fully believe it's a marketing tactic. It happens FAR too often for it to be an innocent "oops." Companies know it'll go viral and all they have to do is type up a quick nonsense apology and it's all good. 🤑

Know your audience?. There are plenty of people who'll high five racism and misogyny.

Dolce and Gabbana torched their Chinese market a couple years ago with a stupid ad, and it became pretty clear the CEO felt no contrition.

My ex-hubby is a marketing VP for a large bank. He's forever amazed by the stupidity of people in the markcom business and agrees with me that testosterone is often involved.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I think a lot of racist/misogynist/wrong-headed advertising flies under the radar because it targets a receptive audienΩe, away from the mainstream. Now and then someone misses the target and gets called out. I don't imagine we here would much care for the advertising of Daniel Defense, but this would get rave reviews in the bars up north...

0454d623-b3d9-40f9-a6a9-313bee5876ba-png

Original link broke, replaced it.
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Know your audience?. There are plenty of people who'll high five racism and misogyny.

Dolce and Gabbana torched their Chinese market a couple years ago with a stupid ad, and it became pretty clear the CEO felt no contrition.

My ex-hubby is a marketing VP for a large bank. He's forever amazed by the stupidity of people in the markcom business and agrees with me that testosterone is often involved.

Ew, that ad is so tasteless! Ok so Dolce just makes a habit of this crap then. I've noticed the fashion brands (especially the luxury brands) are ALWAYS doing this nonsense. I remember something else recent-ish with an accessory...lemme look up who it was... Prada. And oh look, Gucci, too. And H&M, too. *insert like 400 other brands here*

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlotte Bartlett said:

Sometimes I then see Adverts that I remember for years (for the right reasons).

Framestore did VFX for this UK advert back in the day which was pretty impressive for the 90s - and it is still one of my favourite ones.

10 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Another Dolce & Gabbana ad that is graphic and in extreme poor taste.  That company must have some major male sexist pigs working in their ad department.

image.png.83a357ab3203e2dc745414ea9d3d5e6e.png

Misogyny is alive and well in Italy, from business to religion. Whether it's men degrading women or other men, testosterone seems involved.

I think it's something like "machismo". When I was in grad school, my apartment was across the street from an all female dormitory serving the local area. On summer evenings, the street would fill with muscle cars driven by young men who'd yell the most degrading things up to the open windows. The girls would flock down to the street and drape themselves across the cars.

I'll never understand it. Surely estrogen is a culprit, too.

12 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Misogyny is alive and well in Italy

With D&G, it is more than just misogyny.  They've done some horridly racist stuff also.  In 2013, they sent models down a runway in Milan wearing earrings & dresses featuring 'Blackamoor' stylized faces. 

image.jpeg.c93d727ff476205c6de348101a4672b7.jpeg

In 2016, they released a sandal called "Slave Sandal".  

image.png.7e668216d753edf8b2bcc28998d276bf.png

• Sad 2

38 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

With D&G, it is more than just misogyny.  They've done some horridly racist stuff also.  In 2013, they sent models down a runway in Milan wearing earrings & dresses featuring 'Blackamoor' stylized faces. 

image.jpeg.c93d727ff476205c6de348101a4672b7.jpeg

In 2016, they released a sandal called "Slave Sandal".  

image.png.7e668216d753edf8b2bcc28998d276bf.png

Prada did an equally as revolting campaign, too.

48078884_10102198923626224_8983993524965867520_n.jpg.1a4ea1e7e1285b6c50fee9c7c76474d0.jpg

• Sad 3

12 hours ago, Charlotte Bartlett said:

Sometimes I then see Adverts that I remember for years (for the right reasons).

Framestore did VFX for this UK advert back in the day which was pretty impressive for the 90s - and it is still one of my favourite ones.

Wow that one was really good.. I love a good black and white commercial done really well.

At first when he was looking up and waiting, for some reason I thought there was a spider gonna come crawling down his left temple..

I was  like starring at those strands of his hair thinking it's gonna show itself any moment now..

Then it was just hair and it got even better after..

Good ad!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Ew, that ad is so tasteless! Ok so Dolce just makes a habit of this crap then. I've noticed the fashion brands (especially the luxury brands) are ALWAYS doing this nonsense. I remember something else recent-ish with an accessory...lemme look up who it was... Prada. And oh look, Gucci, too. And H&M, too. *insert like 400 other brands here*

A lot of those companies seem to be based in the same country.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 725 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.