1 second Orb timing, is it necessary

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I checked about the sea path from Blake Sea to the new Linden Home's land today. It can imagine that have many blockage, ban line and orb. Yes, it is impossible. However, I met a 1 second warning time ORB. Is it really need to set up an orb with 1 second? This is de facto not a warning.  For 1 second warning that need scan the sim every single second. I am not sure anyone like to self-punishing their living sim's script loading. 

image.png.53fb3b01377cedddbee21d980467fcc5.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

If you mean somewhere along the west coast of Satori, there's no general covenant covering any minimum time allowed on orbs, or indeed stop you from putting up banlines. As for whether it's 'necessary', that's up to the land owner to decide (although personally I'd ascribe that sort of orb usage to that of a jackass). 

If you mean within Bellisaria, AR it - the covenant there prevents any orb from being <15 seconds. 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I thought it had to be 15 seconds maximum, before it kicked you out. Especially for people who are flying on mainland and accidentally hit one of them. 

Mainland has no such requirement.  Belli is entirely different.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Milissa Rossini said:

I checked about the sea path from Blake Sea to the new Linden Home's land today.........

image.png.53fb3b01377cedddbee21d980467fcc5.png

you'r somewhere indoor?.. that's no sea path i think.

19 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I thought it had to be 15 seconds maximum, before it kicked you out. Especially for people who are flying on mainland and accidentally hit one of them. 

only IN Belliseria self.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

On regular mainland you can have any security orb you like operating any way it likes, 0 second no warning TP home if that's what you want.

These orbs, while a pain in the neck for "explorers" only exist to overcome shortcomings in the basic parcel security offered. We need a robust overhaul of parcel security that makes orbs redundant.

People did also aggressively complain about being able to see ban lines going on forever, so this is the only viable alternative for people who do not want to operate an "open house" without ruining their neighbors view.

It's amusing the OP appears to be complaining about a warning while "exploring" INSIDE someone else's house.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Mainland has no such requirement.  Belli is entirely different.

But still I know lots of people fly planes on mainland and I would think it would be nice to give us fair warning and time to exit. But that is only my opinion. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sammy Huntsman said:

But still I know lots of people fly planes on mainland and I would think it would be nice to give us fair warning and time to exit. But that is only my opinion. 

The system can't tell the difference between someone "exploring" mainland by flight or a vehicle, and someone "exploring" your house and messing with your stuff.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Well, yes it would be nice but not everyone in SL is nice or cares about anything outside of their SL.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

If someone has it around their living space like to prevent someone from entering the door, then yea, I think it's more than reasonable. Because they don't want enough time for someone to enter.

If they are there, they should have a menu to allow someone in or not. If they don't decide to answer the menu, the person still have time to boot scoot boogie away from the line that got crossed before they get booted by the orb.

• Like 1

Just now, Ceka Cianci said:

If someone has it around their living space like to prevent someone from entering the door

Doors in SL are not a barrier to entry. 

A common trick is to cam into your building and then sit on something to bypass any obstacles you might have placed in world. This is how you end up with random dudes in your naughty skybox asking "how u r" .. regular bans lines only go up so high, so to prevent this happening again, you buy and ORB and set it to NOPE mode.

If you're renting mainland, a security orb is your only option as you do not have access to parcel controls at all. How many seconds do you want to tolerate Mr-Rando-Nopants sitting on your bed before yeeting him into the sun.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

It's amusing the OP appears to be complaining about a warning while "exploring" INSIDE someone else's house.

It is kinda ironic eh. But no I think in most cases people aren't going into someone elses house and looking around. they are exploring mainland when bam they hit that orb and get sent back home and their plane or boat gets lost on mainland. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

A common trick is to cam into your building and then sit on something to bypass any obstacles you might have placed in world. This is how you end up with random dudes in your naughty skybox asking "how u r" .. regular bans lines only go up so high, so to prevent this happening again, you buy and ORB and set it to NOPE mode.

If you're renting mainland, a security orb is your only option as you do not have access to parcel controls at all. How many seconds do you want to tolerate Mr-Rando-Nopants sitting on your bed before yeeting him into the sun.

I know doors are not a barrier for  those that don't respect them. But many do use the door.

For those that don't , well off they go then.. *BONK* hehehe

58 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

People did also aggressively complain about being able to see ban lines going on forever,

I've often wondered why LL doesn't change the texture to something that looks more like a private property sign. Maybe give us options for chain link fencing, wood privacy fencing, picket fence, and even barbed wire if they wanted to. It doesn't need to go high in the sky, just along the ground. I think it would be more aesthetically pleasing for most people.

2e49e6d2-0610-4bd6-b92b-24ab3824093c.jpe

As much as I dislike fences, I'd rather see something like this than what we've had all along.

• Like 9

Mine's on 5 seconds - only because it's the lowest setting.

I'm on a private island, though, and in the sky. I never bothered with security at all until I had someone cam-sit right into my living room while I was in there (and I was thousands of meters up). So...full nope mode these days.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

What would be a reasonable setting for a security orb?

about 4 or 5 hours, or until the home invader runs away all by themself. When our orb is like little chikkens that make lots of cheeping sounds with particles when it pecks their feet and bumps the invader just a little bit to make their avatar jiggle. Or a puppy which goes woof woof ! and rubs itself on the invaders leg making them both jiggle

and when the invader goes ah! hah! and sits on the furniture then the chikkens come and peck peck and the little dog rubs itself on the furniture which unsits the object of their desire (the invader). Annnd if the invader is silly enough to do a system Sit then even better. The chikkens get all excited and more sounds and particles and next thing they breeding off the invader and is heaps off them going Mommy! mommy! And I wont say about what happens particle-wise to the little dog when he gets really excited having met the love of his life !

😸

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

about 4 or 5 hours, or until the home invader runs away all by themself. When our orb is like little chikkens that make lots of cheeping sounds with particles when it pecks their feet and bumps the invader just a little bit to make their avatar jiggle. Or a puppy which goes woof woof ! and rubs itself on the invaders leg making them both jiggle

and when the invader goes ah! hah! and sits on the furniture then the chikkens come and peck peck and the little dog rubs itself on the furniture which unsits the object of their desire (the invader). Annnd if the invader is silly enough to do a system Sit then even better. The chikkens get all excited and more sounds and particles and next thing they breeding off the invader and is heaps off them going Mommy! mommy! And I wont say about what happens particle-wise to the little dog when he gets really excited having met the love of his life !

😸

I'm glad I don't have to clean that mess up! 🤭

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

😸

I just want my orb to play nyan cat on repeat until the person leaves. And this version would be bass boosted and distorted. Lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

What would be a reasonable setting for a security orb? I use an orb and it's set to 30 seconds. I see about a 7:1 ratio of visitors to those kicked out.

It depends entirely on a few things, such as where you are and how large your parcel is.

If you're renting a quarter sim island around Blake, 30 seconds to allow people who fly or sail through to do so fully (or give them time to turn their vehicle around) is generally considered decent, any lower than that and people will start showering you with complaints. If it's a smaller parcel situated similarly, I wouldn't advise going below 20 seconds. 

On the continents like Satori, Heterocera, Geodeot, or Corsica, you have less traffic, but you still have traffic both in the air and along the roads - people putting up banlines around their road-adjacent properties is not well liked among people who drive (as they tend to de-seat you and make your vehicle go poof, forcing you to find a rez zone to continue - if banlines just worked like solid walls, they'd be much better). 

I have no orb at my place, if I get invaded whilst I'm not there - who cares. If I get invaded whilst I am there, it's pretty fun to freeze people and growl at them a little before you eject them onto the street. 

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

We need a robust overhaul of parcel security that makes orbs redundant.

I think that orbs, that do give you some warning time, are quite good - you basically only have the option to A) hinder people entirely from entering your land (banlines) or B) removing people once they have intruded; but I think that SL would be a lot more fun to explore if a Belli-esque covenant were applied to all the mainland - allow people to pass through, with the option of banning griefers and removing people after a 15 seconds if they linger uninvited (but only TPing you off the property, rather than sending you home). If you absolutely can't stand having people moving through your property on occasion, you shouldn't live on the mainland to begin with.

#BanTheBanLines

9 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I just want my orb to play nyan cat on repeat until the person leaves. And this version would be bass boosted and distorted. Lol 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Look, all the usual crowd has shown up to scold and educate the OP on what is acceptable or not, while the OP is only wanting a reasonable accordance. Yet again the same weirdos post accusations and continue to portray the majority of SLers as creeps, trolls and griefers.

2 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

It's SL. People think the only boundaries they have to respect are their own and no one else's.

That is an accusation and a lie, and toxic to portray Second Lifers as such.

2 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

And you appear to be doing what you normally do. Portraying others as having ill intentions or malicious intentions and that SL is full of people who want to grief you, invade your land, etc.

2 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The system can't tell the difference between someone "exploring" mainland by flight or a vehicle, and someone "exploring" your house and messing with your stuff.

Irrelevant. A 30 second delay before ejecting someone is more than enough to have the intended effect. If you wanted to add an insta-ban should they return for a second or third time in only a few minutes then I could agree with you that their intentions may not be good, or are part of an ongoing grief.

If you're going to use such scripts, they should be used respectfully and fairly, or LL should just take them away from you.

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Well, yes it would be nice but not everyone in SL is nice or cares about anything outside of their SL.

So? Why say a statement that is pointing out the negative, and absolute MINORITY of SL users and their experience.

yeah "IF" this "IF' that, and seriously how many times has this little story you type actually happened to you? Once? in 2004?

Once again, no one was arguing to remove your Orb, since it seems that YOUR second life experience is rife with harassment, creeps and victimhood.

Al the OP was asking for, and so was I in a related post, that orbs are limited to a reasonable use - and if people can't do it on their own then LL should step in and limit it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.