Linden Lab's new chief marketing officer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 709 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

They seem proud of Tilia as a way to accomplish what they are advertising -- SL as a way for developers to make money.

But that's the problem, on the whole .. we aren't. There are a few exceptions that are pulling decent money out of SL regularly, but those tend to be the actual companies operating under the guise of an individual. All the individual creators and developers I know are barely making poverty wages or not bothering to cash out at all and holding down full time jobs. Burnout and depression are endemic, and nothing done here counts for anything beyond this walled garden.

You can't even mention Second Life on a resume or as part of a portfolio and expect to be taken seriously. The first thought might be to blame all the smut that pervades every corner of this platform, but that's not the case. Second Life is recognized as as a dead end world, everyone has been here and everyone left for their own personal reasons, remaining here to apply a high level skill is simply a mistake highlighting a show stopping character weakness.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Second Life is recognized as as a dead end world.

Now that is a problem the new marketing director should work on.

Second Life's public reputation has been improving a bit lately. There are all those metaverse articles. Many of them now have a section "and you can already do that in Second Life." NFT land has lost credibility, and Facebook/Meta has lost so much money the stockholders are getting angry. SL is very real, and works, which is getting more notice.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, animats said:

Second Life's public reputation has been improving a bit lately. There are all those metaverse articles. Many of them now have a section "and you can already do that in Second Life." NFT land has lost credibility, and Facebook/Meta has lost so much money the stockholders are getting angry. SL is very real, and works, which is getting more notice.

SL doesn't use the potential of modern computer gear or smartphones.
It is because of those two reasons alone a dead end world.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Hmm..if the plan is to "supercharge [SL's] growth", I wonder what that growth will look like?

it's Linden Lab. Whatever idea they come up with, it's going to be really dumb, inconvenience almost all of us, and then fail anyway. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

it's Linden Lab. Whatever idea they come up with, it's going to be really dumb, inconvenience almost all of us, and then fail anyway. 

I'm sorry they rejected your application to be Chief Marketing Officer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

3 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

I'm sorry they rejected your application to be Chief Marketing Officer.

but did you see advertisement of promotion of SL appear on regular base anywhere?... i for sure didn't, just a handfull at max during all the years here.

( and not meaning promo here but in the wild real world)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

but did you see advertisement of promotion of SL appear on regular base anywhere?... i for sure didn't, just a handfull at max during all the years here.

( and not meaning promo here but in the wild real world)

Yes. On the internet, ads on web pages.

Unless you mean "not internet". What then would it be? Newspaper, magazine, billboards, radio, television?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mollymews said:

teleport screen adverts anyone ?

😸

Go and wash your mouth with soap right away.
Don't point LL in a very wrong direction please. They are "smart" enough to embrace such stuff.
I'm paying to play, so don't give me that sh**.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

"We're going to focus on events and event spaces now" :D

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

"We're going to focus on events and event spaces now" :D

Hmm..I wonder if there's a way for entrepreneurs to operate here: 

1) Dude "sells" opportunity to BigCompany for an Event

2) Dude rents event space from SL and gives BigCompany access to it, support, etc.

3) Dude pockets the profit (BigCompany price - SL Event space rent)

With the small number than can access a sim at one time, even the event sims, there is no big money to be made IMHO from BigCompany.
And then there is the efford one has to make to even get an halfway decent avatar and a halfway decent feeling for movement and traveling in our wonderful world for all these people who want to visit the event without having SL experience.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Hmm..I wonder if there's a way for entrepreneurs to operate here: 

1) Dude "sells" opportunity to BigCompany for an Event

2) Dude rents event space from SL and gives BigCompany access to it, support, etc.

3) Dude pockets the profit (BigCompany price - SL Event space rent)

There would be opportunity (like in Sansar) where one could build a world specifically to hold events, or to sell as entire worlds to another customer. Very limited access to the average creator in SL though due to land costs and arbitrary Li limits, and yes unless there was a way to curb the mesh counts on avatars - avatars would and have been the biggest burden on a sim, and remains the biggest challenge.

Something like Fortnite has the ability to broadcast an event to hundreds of thousands at once, even if those servers are capped at 64-128 players, as they are all natural 'instances' as is and can be synced together. Such a dumb FPS game, but so powerful in how it could expand into another platform if the developers really wanted to.

I couldnt care less though. I'm not one to attend events in VR or even live concerts so I can stand 1 mile away from the artist - not worth it, and never purposefully bought a ticket and attended a concert ever for even my most favourite bands because what is the point. I'll stream off Youtube or Spotify or other streams instead of wasting 3d and computer resources standing around in a 3d virtual event playing some dance emote.

Edited by Codex Alpha
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Codex Alpha said:

"We're going to focus on events and event spaces now"

Fantasy Faire is an example of how good it can be. That's a labor of love by hundreds of people, though.

Working with organizations that don't get SL hasn't been too successful. Look at Zenescope. That was an LL project. Everything was built by moles. Mostly from off the shelf parts. It's boring. I did the quests, the miniature golf course, and the maze. At the end, there's a teleport gate and "come back later for Part 2". That was months ago, and there's still no Part 2.

Zenescope, the comic publisher. has some cool artwork and themes that would translate well to SL. But that's not what they brought into SL. Their merch is mostly T-shirts. Their game is pointless. Zenescope characters are absent. There's no point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

wonder what a chief marketing officer does. wiki says this:

The day-to-day tasks are often categorically different from one another, due to the fluid nature of the CMO's skill set: language is needed to stitch together all aspects of the company. Thus, in a given day the CMO completes tasks that fall into many different categories:

Analytical tasks, such as pricing and market research

Creative tasks, such as graphic design, advertising and product, and service promotion

Interpersonal tasks, such as coordinating with other company executives in creating alignment on strategy and execution plans

The CMO must quickly react to the changing market conditions and competitive dynamics and must reshape, as needed, the company's strategy and execution plans based on real-time market scenarios. Each of these products comes from a different department, so the CMO must be a nexus of information: it is a highly receptive role, with involvement in departments such as production, information technology, corporate communications, documentation, public relations, law, human resources, and finance.[5]

In the 21st century, digitalization and the rise of consumer-centric marketing has changed the role of the CMO. They are now typically finding themselves handling customer-facing technology implementations in addition to the above tasks.[6] One analyst predicted that in the future CMOs will spend more on IT than their counterpart CIOs.[7] According to another analyst firm, few senior-executive positions will be subject to as much change over the next few years as that of the chief marketing officer.[8]

Peers to the CMO include chief human resources officer, chief technology officer, chief financial officer, chief communications officer, [chief procurement officer]], chief information officer, and general counsel.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

I'm paying to play

that's what I told Netflix, and I think they are listening to me in the same way that Sky TV did

No ads Sky TV said. Sign up here! Signed up and after they had signed up heaps of people including me, Sky TV said: We don't want to put your fees up, have some ads along with your not increased subscription fee. Is this great or what ??

I don't get Sky TV anymore. Same will happen to my Netflix subscription if they don't listen to me either

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Paulsian said:

wonder what a chief marketing officer does. wiki says this:

The day-to-day tasks are often categorically different from one another, due to the fluid nature of the CMO's skill set: language is needed to stitch together all aspects of the company. Thus, in a given day the CMO completes tasks that fall into many different categories:

Analytical tasks, such as pricing and market research

Creative tasks, such as graphic design, advertising and product, and service promotion

Interpersonal tasks, such as coordinating with other company executives in creating alignment on strategy and execution plans

The CMO must quickly react to the changing market conditions and competitive dynamics and must reshape, as needed, the company's strategy and execution plans based on real-time market scenarios. Each of these products comes from a different department, so the CMO must be a nexus of information: it is a highly receptive role, with involvement in departments such as production, information technology, corporate communications, documentation, public relations, law, human resources, and finance.[5]

In the 21st century, digitalization and the rise of consumer-centric marketing has changed the role of the CMO. They are now typically finding themselves handling customer-facing technology implementations in addition to the above tasks.[6] One analyst predicted that in the future CMOs will spend more on IT than their counterpart CIOs.[7] According to another analyst firm, few senior-executive positions will be subject to as much change over the next few years as that of the chief marketing officer.[8]

Peers to the CMO include chief human resources officer, chief technology officer, chief financial officer, chief communications officer, [chief procurement officer]], chief information officer, and general counsel.

Did you learn anything from this Wikipedia post that you would like to share with us?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 709 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.