Spicy! Just Because.

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Adult content subforum ?

I think that brings us back to the supposition that the only reason people dress to look "hot" or "sexy" is because they are trying to entice potential partners.

There are, I know for a fact, a number of people posting here who are not interested at all in SL sex. I'm one of them. I have a folder full of lingerie that rarely if ever gets seen by anyone but me (although a few pieces may make it into pictures). I'm buying this stuff for me, and not because I want to engage in "adult activities."

In fact, if I thought that was how it was being interpreted by others, I wouldn't wear it or take pics of it. I don't think I'd post in this thread myself were it in the adult subforum.

I think this is a good place for it, myself.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I honestly don't care if you want spicy pics.

Then why are you posting here?

1 hour ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

But because SL is very sexual forward, it is hard to find modest clothing at events, without it being kawaii or feminine. So for a person like me, I have a hard time finding stuff in my style.

I'm really not sure how relevant this complaint is to this thread, but I'll point out that this is a question that has been answered many times here. There are a great many very good clothing creators -- Just Because and Neve off the top of my head, but also Tres Blah, Tetra, and Pixicat who do "modest" clothing, or garments that are fairly "everyday" in an RL sense. And there are others.

Additionally, you can do what I sometimes do, and buy some BOM undergarments to deal with plunging necklines and such -- I use BOM tees from Baby Monkey, shirts from Zaara, and camisoles from a number of places. For things like short sweater dresses, I'll sometimes wear jeans under them. 95% of the time, I'm dressed very modestly in-world. It's very doable.

A final point -- looking "spicy" needn't mean wearing revealing clothing. It's entirely possible to look sexy as hell wearing a turtleneck sweater.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

The only thing that confuses me is, there are such good pictures in the other picture threads and this one gets moved..

Maybe because it's more specific theme lined than the others?

I'll admit that I'm not really seeing much of a difference in the content of this thread, and the two "dress up for the opposite sex" threads. And certainly there are some equally "spicy" pics in the other vanity threads. I assume that one reason is that there were (predictably, perhaps) complaints about this one.

Whatevs! I'm fine with it here, tbh.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'll admit that I'm not really seeing much of a difference in the content of this thread, and the two "dress up for the opposite sex" threads. And certainly there are some equally "spicy" pics in the other vanity threads. I assume that one reason is that there were (predictably, perhaps) complaints about this one.

Whatevs! I'm fine with it here, tbh.

I know,I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.. But it was nice to be able to just look through all those threads casually as I would have my tea.. Kind of like, Take a sip then, Oh lets see what's new in this one.. hehehehe

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

The only thing that confuses me is, there are such good pictures in the other picture threads and this one gets moved..

Maybe because it's more specific theme lined than the others?

I think it was moved because it is more "themed".

However, I don't think it needs to be in the Adult section.  All of the picture threads get tasteful nudity without needing to be in the Adult section.  Hell, the Adult section doesn't allow any more nudity than what we already have in the various other picture threads. And I don't know that I would term a subject of "Spicy" as Adult either.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I think that brings us back to the supposition that the only reason people dress to look "hot" or "sexy" is because they are trying to entice potential partners.

I do it to feel something. Just call me "numbnuts" otherwise. Wait, were we talking about SL?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

I moved it in response to requests from residents that it be moved because it seemed more a photography thread than one about avatars, and I agreed.

The normal Community Participation Guidelines continue to apply, of course, including 

My saying this probably won't do any good, but it really wouldn't be a good idea for anyone to use the thread to try to push the boundaries in an attempt to find out how spicy is too spicy.  

I'm curious what constitutes "Nudity" because there are clearly nude photos in this thread even though nipples or genitals are not being shown. @Quartz Mole

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

There are, I know for a fact, a number of people posting here who are not interested at all in SL sex. I'm one of them. I have a folder full of lingerie that rarely if ever gets seen by anyone but me (although a few pieces may make it into pictures). I'm buying this stuff for me, and not because I want to engage in "adult activities."

In fact, if I thought that was how it was being interpreted by others, I wouldn't wear it or take pics of it. I don't think I'd post in this thread myself were it in the adult subforum.

I think this is a good place for it, myself.

I'm fully aware that not everyone is interested in sex here, but I disagree with the supposition that someone would "look sexy" for themselves, although with a caveat. Sexy is by definition enticing.  A pair of sky high stiletto heels would not be enticing to an animal other than Homo Sapiens, and also of similar culture. Or a classy suit on me. Or whatever look we feel would attract. What look we create to feel sexy is defined by what we think others would desire. It ultimately IS a self esteem issue. If we feel that we are attractive enough to reproduce, we feel good about ourselves. Even if one chooses not to engage in reproductive activity. We are still the "Naked Ape", no matter how much we try and convince ourselves otherwise.

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I'm curious what constitutes "Nudity" because there are clearly nude photos in this thread even though nipples or genitals are not being shown. @Quartz Mole

It appears that nudity involves female nipples, and genitals of both sexes. Even a female aerula  "edge" is considered nudity. I know from personal experience, having pics removed where I had no idea why, and had to ask friends, and examine closely.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

It appears that nudity involves female nipples, and genitals of both sexes. Even a female aerula  "edge" is considered nudity. I know from personal experience, having pics removed where I had no idea why, and had to ask friends, and examine closely.

That's generally how it's seen.  Naked behinds are even on television now.  Thong bikinis are at most beaches.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

That's generally how it's seen.  Naked behinds are even on television now.  Thong bikinis are at most beaches.  

I have to laugh, really. Full nudity isn't particularly sexy, in my opinion.  My RL wife comes out of the shower naked, I'm not turned on. Same with my SL wife's AV. It's what's hidden, and what we want to see that's enticing.

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

Agree or disagree with what I said earlier, Scyll?  I'm curious.

I'm not Scylla, but I disagree.  Many people only dress for themselves.  To say we (general we) choose our styles only to attract someone else actually takes away our choice and autonomy.  There are days I will dress up at home knowing I am not leaving the house at all.  No one will be seeing me and I'm not doing it to fantasize about what someone else may think either.  I dress up for me.  Another example:  I never get home from my RL job clean, put together and smelling nice. Never.  I rarely even get home from work without new bruises and scratches.  When others see me, I know they are not thinking, "Gee what a sexy woman."  I can still feel pretty.  I can still feel powerful.  I can still feel strong.  I can still feel sexy.  If someone were to capture that look in a photo, I imagine, to me, that would feel sexy.

Sexy is different to different people.  Sexy to me is being comfortable and confident with yourself.  Sexy has little to do with how strangers see you, but how you see yourself.

Thank you for bringing out this response from me.  I have the start of a photo idea for this thread.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 8

8 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I'm not Scylla, but I disagree.  Many people only dress for themselves.  To say we (general we) choose our styles only to attract someone else actually takes away our choice and autonomy.  There are days I will dress up at home knowing I am not leaving the house at all.  No one will be seeing me and I'm not doing it to fantasize about what someone else may think either.  I dress up for me.  Another example:  I never get home from my RL job clean, put together and smelling nice. Never.  I rarely even get home from work without new bruises and scratches.  When others see me, I know they are not thinking, "Gee what a sexy woman."  I can still feel pretty.  I can still feel powerful.  I can still feel strong.  I can still feel sexy.  If someone were to capture that look in a photo, I imagine, to me, that would feel sexy.

Sexy is different to different people.  Sexy to me is being comfortable and confident with yourself.  Sexy has little to do with how strangers see you, but how you see yourself.

Thank you for bringing out this response from me.  I have the start of a photo idea for this thread.

I chose my style, which somehow in all my years of being in SL I always went back to Goth. I chose it, cause I loved the aesthetic. Especially when I was a male avatar. I am comfortable with how I look. I didn't choose it for people to hit on me. I chose it cause that was the style in SL that always called to me. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bagnu said:

I don't think I could possibly express this better than Cinn did.

Certainly sometimes, in some contexts, people dress to attract sexual partners, or for flirting or whatever. And if I'm going out, I'll sometimes (depending on where I'm going) spend time making sure that I look good -- but not with the intent of signalling sexual interest. I simply recognize that clothing is one of the ways that we signal who we are to people, aside from our sexuality: it's another form of communication.

This naked ape thing only goes so far: we are not prisoners of evolutionary biology, however much it may affect us in various ways. To liken a human taking care over how she looks to a peacock or a wolf or whatever "displaying" with the intent of finding a mate overlooks millennia of cultural development and cultural and social evolution.

We do lots of things that make zero sense in terms of evolutionary logic. And dressing for myself -- along with things like reading poetry and helping to caring for my ill father -- is one of those.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Bagnu said:

I'd have to disagree as well.  You're obviously seeing it from the male perspective.  That all females are subconsciously dressing to attract a mate.  That's simply not true.  Men may THINK that but at least in my case, I love putting looks together for ME.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Bagnu said:

Also not Scylla and also vehemently disagree.

Granted, my definition of sexy is wildly out in left field sometimes. I'm personally far more attracted to shattered gender norms than anything else - a man in a skirt or dress gets my attention FAR quicker than the shirtless, tight jeans, heavily muscled look that many tend to go for, and for everyone else, I'll go ga-ga over someone rocking a well-tailored suit before I'll drool over a skimpy bikini or somesuch, so I'm coming from an entirely different perspective here. 

But yeah no, the way I dress myself has absolutely nothing to do with trying to attract anyone. SL-wise, I love leather, I love latex, I love hardware, I love everything goth/industrial/punk. RL-wise, same. Ironically, I feel a lot sexier in a full suit (as long as it's not right smack in the middle of summer 😂), so it wouldn't even occur to me that I'd be turning heads in the skimpier stuff. Hell, I'd still be rocking it if men up and disappeared off the planet. It's just who I am and who I've always been.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Bagnu said:

I disagree with the supposition that someone would "look sexy" for themselves

This may be one of those differences between men and women - yes, I am generalizing.

I often dress just for myself - sometimes I want to feel sexy and putting on sexy clothing gives me that feeling.  I know many women that are the same way --- in both SL and RL. 

I don't think I've ever met a man that dresses sexy for himself - only for others.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This may be one of those differences between men and women - yes, I am generalizing.

I often dress just for myself - sometimes I want to feel sexy and putting on sexy clothing gives me that feeling.  I know many women that are the same way --- in both SL and RL. 

I don't think I've ever met a man that dresses sexy for himself - only for others.

Totally agree with this. When I am choosing my outfit or look in SL it is for me. I do not choose what to wear based on what others might see as sexy. If I like the look and feel sexy I will wear it.  Same as I do in RL.

• Like 7