Second Life Mobile 2022-2023

Orka Kiyori

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've installed moonlight on my PC which allows for me to access anything I want to from my phone, my Internet speed is not incredibly high so there is a very noticeable delay if I am not connected via the same network.  I think for Radegast it would probably work out pretty well for you though.  As far as moving around on a slower internet connection in a regular viewer, while I am away from home the lag gets frustrating.  If I am at home, and just want to goof around with Firestorm on my phone though, it does a pretty good job and runs very smoothly.  Having my phone act as a gamepad does allow for movement, but I much prefer having a keyboard and mouse though.  I get a real kick out of playing cyberpunk 2077 on my phone as well.

I mostly set it up because I eventually want to build a gaming PC that is stashed away in my house, and access it via laptop/TV/tablet to play games with.  Having little room in my house, makes having an area devoted for a PC just not feasible at this time, and gaming laptops get pretty pricey and in the long run do not allow upgrades.  Also I would like to have a windows computer solely for gaming, while I migrate my laptops over to linux.

If you wanted to use moonlight, you do need to have a nvidia, as it is configured through geforce experience.  I believe there are similar programs to moonlight that do not require an nvidia card though.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A mobile client that allows simultaneous logins.

Log out and go do something, carry on chatting on your phone.

Just like every other chat app.

• Like 3

On 4/30/2022 at 6:04 PM, Claireschen Hesten said:

They announced this about a week before Facebook switched their name to Meta.  Not saying the two are related...  just interesting the high-level decisions that were made that month around the same time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dion Robbiani said:

They announced this about a week before Facebook switched their name to Meta.  Not saying the two are related...  just interesting the high-level decisions that were made that month around the same time.

i wouldnt hold hopes that is leading to it, at the same time frame FB err sorry "Meta" ( im  Quest 2 user much like a lot , thats got a bad taste for the rebranding.) made inquries at buying out NeosVR as well on thier metaverse project.

shame though that Lumyia ended development almost 6 years ago at this point :/ while speedlight is the only option for both platforms w/ 3D View, almost 2k L$ a month? for me thats a no thanks given i dont login daily anymore like i had used to.

There has not been much said at recent web user group meetings about mobile. It's all about Premium Plus and other web related stuff. 

I think the web team are actively working on it as it was on the 2022 Second Life roadmap at the end of 2021. 

• Avatar “expressiveness” that brings camera-based gestures and movement to your avatar for a whole new level of interaction and connectedness
  • Premium Plus – a new upgrade option with added features and extras
  • A new mobile viewer to enhance and improve your Second Life experience
  • Improved group chat reliability
  • Viewer and script performance improvements 
  • New user avatar customization and improvements
  • Updated mesh optimizer
  • Search engine improvements
  • Improved materials and terrain
  • Adding web marketplace variants
  • …and much more!

Most likely we will hear something later in 2022 about the new mobile viewer. 

• Haha 1

A good mobile viewer almost has to be hosted on a server, just sending video to the phone. Like "cloud gaming". It takes too much bandwidth and graphics power for most phones to do a good job with SL.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Lindens

Don't take this as an official endorsement, but Speedlight.io does do a lot of the things you're talking about for mobile.  It's on _my_ phone. ;)

We have not abandoned our mobile plans.  We just don't have anything we can share right this minute. But it's very much an active direction for us.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, Grumpity Linden said:

Don't take this as an official endorsement, but Speedlight.io does do a lot of the things you're talking about for mobile.  It's on _my_ phone. ;)

We have not abandoned our mobile plans.  We just don't have anything we can share right this minute. But it's very much an active direction for us.

Speedlight is a major breach of a user's privacy as we have to register with them to use it with our SL accounts

Can you actually share some statistics of how many users are using it compared to Lumiya?

And why can't you at least confirm that LL are working on mobile viewers?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, belindacarson said:

Speedlight is a major breach of a user's privacy as we have to register with them to use it with our SL accounts

You have to register in many places on line to use services that take payments.

Can you actually share some statistics of how many users are using it compared to Lumiya?

this one would be neat to know

And why can't you at least confirm that LL are working on mobile viewers?

None disclosure agreement, that would be why,  they can only say so much before they would violate the NDA they are under, nobody wants to get into legal trouble.

Edited by bigmoe Whitfield
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Grumpity Linden said:

Thanks, Grumpity! I wasn't aware of it and just gave it a try.

14 hours ago, Grumpity Linden said:

Don't take this as an official endorsement, but Speedlight.io does do a lot of the things you're talking about for mobile. 

Would you be so kind to tell me why Speedlite is extremely laggy when you get into the world? 

3 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Ask the speedlite people .. It's not made by LL.

Yup, that is why I dumped it after a few days. Speedlight is ok for chatting, but not much else.

Edited by JeromFranzic
Stupid f***ing fire tablet autocorrect lol

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.