Why SL is been left out of the current metaverse hype?

Oct Oyen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 848 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 minutes ago, StarlanderGoods said:

Also, when a place is curated to fit, lets say, a wider demographic with no adult content, for some reason gender expression gets chopped too. 

This is very true. I don't know that there is a necessary connection between the expression of sexuality and the expression of a non-binary or trans identity -- I actually don't think there is -- but the suppression of the one does seem to go hand in hand with the oppression of the other. And more generally, an "anti-sex" view tends to constrain pretty much all forms of self-expression regarding gender -- skirts can't be too short, bustlines can't be too low, etc.

And the same could be said about many other things: works that are intellectually challenging or viewed as "subversive," for instance. One of the reasons given for banning the holocaust-themed graphic novel Maus is that it features . . . nude mice.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

enforcing a culture with the sexuality excised from it isn't actually going to teach anyone about finding life balance: it's merely going to deprive them of a really important outlet for personal expression.

If this is what you think I was saying, you are way off track. But this isn't the time or place to get into to all that so yes, we'll just have to agree to disagree and move on to picking on each other.

MOOOOOOOM! SCYLLA TOUCHED ME AGAIN! 🤭

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

If this is what you think I was saying, you are way off track. But this isn't the time or place to get into to all that so yes, we'll just have to agree to disagree and move on to picking on each other.

MOOOOOOOM! SCYLLA TOUCHED ME AGAIN! 🤭

I'm sorry, you're right: you probably weren't arguing for enforced censorship of sexual expression, but rather noting that one can live well and happily without it. Which I'm sure for some is totally true. So I've misrepresented you somewhat, and for that I apologize.

But . . .

/me looks around quickly to make sure no one is watching, and pokes you again

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

29 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

If LL disallowed sexual conduct/content tomorrow, they'd be impacting many other outlets of revenue generation, the mesh head/body, skins, clothing, AO markets, for example.

Fun Facts:

I have bots traveling the grid collecting mesh head/body stats.

At a minimum, they find over 500 never-before-seen users wearing either a brand name mesh head or body daily.

Know where over half of these users are found at?

Zindra.

Oooooo it's you that's doing this. 

Fascinating. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

At the same time, SL (or any platform) doesn't need sex to have benefits that come with a freer and more progressive attitude towards the culture in general. Sex can be detrimental to that freer and more progressive attitude since it does tend to overshadow everything else.

Without sex it can't be a parallel to RL.  The term "Second Life" implies that it's meant to be a parallel. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm sorry, you're right: you probably weren't arguing for enforced censorship of sexual expression, but rather noting that one can live well and happily without it. Which I'm sure for some is totally true. So I've misrepresented you somewhat, and for that I apologize.

But . . .

/me looks around quickly to make sure no one is watching, and pokes you again

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

stop_touching_me.jpg

• Haha 6

5 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

I'm not the only person with bots traveling the grid.

I'm not the only person collecting mesh head/body stats either.

Just so you all know, you're wasting your time collecting that info on me. It never changes unless Vista updates the Zoe head or Maitreya updates the body.

I'm kind of like Anne McCaffery, some things always remain the same while everything else changes.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Just so you all know, you're wasting your time collecting that info on me. It never changes unless Vista updates the Zoe head or Maitreya updates the body.

I'm kind of like Anne McCaffery, some things always remain the same while everything else changes.

And for me, not even then. 

I've been killing bots since 2008, mostly by boring them to death.

(... come to think of it, not just bots!)

Edited by Marigold Devin
Too dry? Too acidic? My "wit" gauge may be off today.
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

I'm not the only person with bots traveling the grid.

I'm not the only person collecting mesh head/body stats either.

If you want to collect stats on me, just ask. I'll happily tell you everything!!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

No, it really isn't. The only thing sex is important for is procreation. Other than that, it's all just "fun and games". It took me too many decades and a lot of abuse to learn that hard lesson.

I'm sorry about your abuse. But speak for yourself, SL is all about freedom. You are free to avoid all sex related, but many people enjoy it and the good balance is giving the freedom to engage on it or to avoid it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Anakin Debevec said:

I'm sorry about your abuse. But speak for yourself, SL is all about freedom. You are free to avoid all sex related, but many people enjoy it and the good balance is giving the freedom to engage on it or to avoid it.

roflmao

Tell that to someone who hasn't been in SL for 19 years. 😛

2 hours ago, Bagnu said:

Without sex it can't be a parallel to RL.  The term "Second Life" implies that it's meant to be a parallel. 

Second Life to me implies just that...a second life.  If it were meant to be parallel, wouldn't it be called First Life 2.0?  I'm fairly certain no one is actually a giant furry animal in First Life nor engaging in zombie killing.  In Second Life, you can abandon everything relating to your First Life, including sex if you choose.  It's really up to the individual but it's not, IMO, a parallel universe.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

The real good thing of sex possibilities in SL is that it keeps (most) kids out.
Kids trying to play adults is almost as awful as adults trying to play kids.
It seldom is a success.

Kids usually are simping random chicks on Twitch/Omegle/etc if they are not playing roblox, fortnite, etc..  SL is a bit boring for them.

3 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

No, it really isn't. The only thing sex is important for is procreation. Other than that, it's all just "fun and games". It took me too many decades and a lot of abuse to learn that hard lesson.

The only thing sex is important for is procreation. Very true. That is why we are biologically programmed to enjoy it (in most cases). And there is nothing wrong with "fun and games". I'm sorry that you have experienced abuse, and that is a terrible thing.  But simply because you have had bad experiences surrounding it doesn't mean everyone else has.

Edited by Bagnu

1 hour ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

We all know it wasn't really nudity.

It was revisionist history efforts.

You are of course quite right, which is why I said it was "one of the reasons" given for the ban.

Although, I wouldn't entirely dismiss the nudity thing -- this particular set of historical revisionists is really not very happy about the fact that (other) people have genitals and use them for fun.

3 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Second Life to me implies just that...a second life.  If it were meant to be parallel, wouldn't it be called First Life 2.0?  I'm fairly certain no one is actually a giant furry animal in First Life nor engaging in zombie killing.  In Second Life, you can abandon everything relating to your First Life, including sex if you choose.  It's really up to the individual but it's not, IMO, a parallel universe.

Sorry . I disagree. To me the term "Second Life" means First life 2.0. That just doesn't sound as good for marketing. We can abandon whatever we choose to. No one is forcing me to go to a "Disneyland" sim. Sheepishly adding that a friend did ask me, and I will go with her.

2 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

Sorry . I disagree. To me the term "Second Life" means First life 2.0. That just doesn't sound as good for marketing. We can abandon whatever we choose to. No one is forcing me to go to a "Disneyland" sim. Sheepishly adding that a friend did ask me, and I will go with her.

Second Life is just the name of the product. It has nothing to do with SL and RL being parallel to each other. I feel like with that thinking, you have a hard time ascertaining between what's RL and SL.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Second Life is just the name of the product. It has nothing to do with SL and RL being parallel to each other. I feel like with that thinking, you have a hard time ascertaining between what's RL and SL.

I disagree with you. And the correct term would be "discerning between".

Edited by Bagnu

1 minute ago, Bagnu said:

I disagree with you.

Why is that? I feel like there are two people in SL. Those of us who realize it's just a game. Like an MMO. And then those people who metaphorically upload their conscienceness into our avatars and really can't tell the difference between the two worlds. I believe that SL is just a video game, that one can interact with people all over the world. Kinda like MMOs.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 848 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.