The Bellisseria Cipher Challenge

Patch Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Dear @Patch Linden

We're trying to find out what the secret message is in Fantasseria. We found out that there are letters in the Elvish alphabet (perhaps) that appear (night) and disappear (day). Maybe it's written what is written in the ring: "One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them"  It is ony a guess. 

We also saw your statue as a hobbit, it is very well done 🙂

@Fofis Monstre, @Frodo Friedkin and @JaneS Crystal

Edited by JaneS Crystal
  • Like 1

I'm a little puzzled about what 'solving the cipher' means.  Not having watched the video, perhaps that's to be expected.  Does it mean decoding the message on the moth plaque?  Or decoding special messages on specific objects scattered throughout Fantasseria?  Or solving enough of the code to be able to read all the runes on bridges throughout Fantasseria as well?  I ask because all that writing lights up at night.

Looking at the moth plaque, there is a fair amount of repetition of individual 'letters' or runes.  It is tempting to assume that one rune equates to one letter (each could just as easily represent an entire word or object, e.g. there's a single rune on every house controller, maybe that rune means "home"?, but what of that), and that the last word on the plaque is "moth", and that the message above it is some general good wish for the holidays.  But I don't have time to give that a shot.

'One ring to bind them all, etc.' is a bit dire for the time of year, don't you think?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

I'm a little puzzled about what 'solving the cipher' means.  Not having watched the video, perhaps that's to be expected.  Does it mean decoding the message on the moth plaque?  Or decoding special messages on specific objects scattered throughout Fantasseria?  Or solving enough of the code to be able to read all the runes on bridges throughout Fantasseria as well?  I ask because all that writing lights up at night.

Looking at the moth plaque, there is a fair amount of repetition of individual 'letters' or runes.  It is tempting to assume that one rune equates to one letter (each could just as easily represent an entire word or object, e.g. there's a single rune on every house controller, maybe that rune means "home"?, but what of that), and that the last word on the plaque is "moth", and that the message above it is some general good wish for the holidays.  But I don't have time to give that a shot.

'One ring to bind them all, etc.' is a bit dire for the time of year, don't you think?

In the video he speaks of Easter eggs throughout the fantasy regions and points to the Moth even being there at all  is something - and so moths come out at night may be the only reason it is there.  I’m pretty sure he mentions the very fact the community region is called Eyrie is something too which would lead one into GOH territory. But I haven’t seen GOH in it’s entirety nor have I watched LOTR recently. Having ditched the existing fantasy language theory I went with a sort of hieroglyphic code idea. It might be much more obvious than it appears !  There is another symbol on an Eyrie stone down in the swamp of sadness which is the same as the one on the Mole statues and transports you to Eyrie 

Edited by Chloe Bunny
  • Like 1

What does Gandalf whisper to the Moth while on Orthanc?

Gwaihir go! Gwaihir!

The Moth appears and when it flies close to Gandalf he grabs it and whispers to The Moth, whom he asks to find and contact Gwaihir, one of the Eagles, that he needs help. The Moth flies away, and shortly thereafter Gwaihir rescues Gandalf.

Edited by JaneS Crystal
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DevinKnights84 said:

has anyone else noticed the crystals changed color? Maybe i'm late in noticing that idk.

Is it the Winter colours coming into play? It has four seasonal changes. 

Bringing everything that people have found to the table maybe the cipher is a riddle leading to a password - or perhaps bypasses the riddle and is actually a password?

Good luck :)

AND - bottom four symbols on moth signage - LDPW - ?!!!

OR - if those four symbols spelled "BURN" then the bridge could spell "NO BURNIN" - burning in the world of GOT is as common as eating breakfast 

Edited by Chloe Bunny
Added the LDPW
  • Like 2

You can see the letters between 3:00 am and 4:00 am SLT anyway at the Fantasseria Community Center.

A sim has a portal to the Center, which is called "Eyrie," and possibly the symbol on that portal means "Eyrie". Or "portal". 

The first thing to determine is whether the letters or symbols in this language have a direct correlation to English , i.e. are a cypher of English, or whether they constitute their own language. And somehow I think it's the latter as nothing seems to jump out at me.

Then the next thing to determine is whether individual symbols are entire words, like the pictograms of Chinese, or are letters representing sounds. And possibly there may be both. 

So you need to separate out the letters or symbols first to see how they appear and recur. And this is harder than it looks, as the letters have dots or "diacriticals" (although they are seemingly always to the side), and it's not clear which dots go with both letters. So when you make a test isolation of a letter, you have to see if it occurs in another setting in that way with other letters around it, then you can confirm it as a distinct letter.

For example what I arbitrarily called "Letter 7".

I noticed that in one part at least it has writing with the symbols forwards and the same symbols backwards, that is, it made a mirror of itself, which confounds decryption even further I suppose.

Then there's the task of finding all the other sites which will have other words and maybe more letters too.

Letter 7.png

Mirror.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/20/2021 at 12:45 PM, Prokofy Neva said:

You can see the letters between 3:00 am and 4:00 am SLT anyway at the Fantasseria Community Center.

A sim has a portal to the Center, which is called "Eyrie," and possibly the symbol on that portal means "Eyrie". Or "portal". 

The first thing to determine is whether the letters or symbols in this language have a direct correlation to English , i.e. are a cypher of English, or whether they constitute their own language. And somehow I think it's the latter as nothing seems to jump out at me.

Then the next thing to determine is whether individual symbols are entire words, like the pictograms of Chinese, or are letters representing sounds. And possibly there may be both. 

So you need to separate out the letters or symbols first to see how they appear and recur. And this is harder than it looks, as the letters have dots or "diacriticals" (although they are seemingly always to the side), and it's not clear which dots go with both letters. So when you make a test isolation of a letter, you have to see if it occurs in another setting in that way with other letters around it, then you can confirm it as a distinct letter.

For example what I arbitrarily called "Letter 7".

I noticed that in one part at least it has writing with the symbols forwards and the same symbols backwards, that is, it made a mirror of itself, which confounds decryption even further I suppose.

Then there's the task of finding all the other sites which will have other words and maybe more letters too.

Letter 7.png

Mirror.jpg

The clue is "mirror".  If you walk into the water in one part of Eyrie region you see a portal shimmering away and walking into that teleports you to Mirror Lake.  Also there are other things that appear to be back to front, ie, as you see and point out, some of the writing.  I would hope that each symbol does represent one letter of the English language, but everyone's ideas are very interesting.  I would hope also it isn't latin or some language stolen/borrowed from Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings or even Harry Potter! BUT the fact that Patch Linden has given people until 23rd December suggests it might not be so easy as changing symbols to letters.  Also we don't know where the phrase - I assume it's a phrase like they have at Butlins, "Our true intent is all for your delight"! something like that, but obviously not that - begins and ends.

I think someone has already (I think a LOT of people already) will have bombarded Patch Linden with notecards and private messages in world with the right answer BUT he did specify the answer must be put onto this forum thread.

I have given up in respect of entering the competition, but will still be trying to decipher it for the fun of it.  

Good luck to all who are persevering.

Edited by Marigold Devin
to add "begins and ends" as this was far from grammatically correct.
  • Like 4

/me hunches over her pilfered computer in a forgotten cave behind the waterfall in Rigamarole.  She checks the tide tables and waits for nightfall and a low tide to make the dangerous crossing into Fantasseria. She checks her watch and sighs.  "Another shot of Jagermole, then."   She fidgets, paces and has another toke from her cigarette. "I hate waiting," she says aloud in her best Inigo voice.

loggy_001.thumb.jpg.403e7df4cc2533eb0de1b58dda2bbcdf.jpg

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I just had a little bit of a hint or clue about the cipher while waiting for Patch Linden to begin his Candlelight Processional at WEDcot Center Park at 12 noon SLT.

From open chat:

[11:43:14] Patch Linden: Haha, I'm gonna post a clue soon!
[11:43:31] SarahKB7 Koskinen: It has something to do with Mirror Pond doesn't it?
[11:44:06] Patch Linden: Sorta!  The text on the ride sign is correct, on the buildings it's mirrored (reversed)

;)

Oh and if you want to listen to Patch's fabulous narration, TP here between 12-1pm SLT today.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.