The Bellisseria Cipher Challenge

Patch Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 120 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Administrators

Some of you may have seen a recent interview where it was revealed that there is a secret (currently unsolved) cipher hidden throughout the Fantasy regions of Bellisseria (Fantasseria).  

The first person that legitimately brings me the correct cipher...

Will get (1) - 1 year of free premium, as an annual membership, which will be renewable at the end of the term. Annual membership will be effective the date the submission is accepted.

If you team up with others, this can only be applied to a single account, you will have to choose among yourselves who will receive the benefit.

Submissions should be submitted to this forum thread. First to get it completely right wins!

The challenge ends on December 23, 2021 at 12:00pm SLT/PST if nobody is able to solve it. 

Credit to @Evangeline Arcadia for the idea! 😉

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

• Patch Linden changed the title to The Bellisseria Cipher Challenge
14 hours ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

Is the writing at the Fantesseria Community Center?  I can't find anything.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Eyrie/128/51/20

I had to set my envirtonment to shared and wait for around sunset Ithink  for the writing to become visible. Didn't seem to appear if I just chose the day phase separately.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, DevinKnights84 said:

How many characters/symbols are there in this? I've found 20  22? so far but haven't deciphered them yet.

Don't expect 26 characters, with so few writing samples.  "X" rarely shows up in words.  Look for characters that show up frequently -- those are most likely to be "E".  One thing that's made this cipher difficult to solve is, at least in the one writing sample I found inscribed on a bridge, is the lack of spaces.  That makes it hard to tell how long a given word is.  I'm pretty sure the cipher doesn't have a character that symbolizes a space, but I could be wrong.

• Like 1

I saw the interview here: Designing Worlds on Vimeo

What if it's alien language that they don't even know what it means and they know second life residents are the most intelligent in the universe and only we can solve it for them. Or its a chant that summons a monster from the pit, the pit sends users up but why. The moth too hmm

Earth Air Fire Water? 

Something tells me there is a cave involved too hmm. 

Magellan Linden perhaps? hmmm

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DevinKnights84 said:

How many characters/symbols are there in this? I've found 20  22? so far but haven't deciphered them yet.

I've only found 18, but some that I thought were repeated are subtly different. And if the writing on the moth sign is the right way round, then everything else is the wrong way round? 

When my friend sent me emails of the trail around the dock area I thought he had gone off his head, but the moth sign would appear to hold the key.

Good luck everyone. I think I'm out. Sadly haven't got the headspace. 

• Like 2

On 12/18/2021 at 4:05 AM, Evangeline Arcadia said:

I had to set my envirtonment to shared and wait for around sunset Ithink  for the writing to become visible. Didn't seem to appear if I just chose the day phase separately.

I couldn't get it to appear by changing the time, either. Yet in the Designing Worlds video, they pan around a build with writing on it which appears to be in the Fantasseria Community Center where they are having the interview. So I guess it comes out only at night but by its own accord.

• Like 2

Spent another hour on this, and really have what my brother calls a "Tefal head" now! 

I know I shall kick myself when the very obvious solution is revealed, but hey ho, it has been fun, and Second Life should always be fun.  I enjoyed a surf on the moth too, and wished I had two other people with me to enjoy that one, but I laughed so much as it was, watching myself "surf" in the air that I almost fell off my chair in real life. 

How old are we??? 😂

• Like 2

If this is tied into GOT then the Moth on the signage alongside the cipher represents perhaps House Horpe and the Moth Knight/ Knight of The Moths?

Or am I cold as ice? 

Lots of popular culture film references in the fantasy lands so this is my guess based on so far little I have managed to encounter!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

I hope you're having another go after some sleep. I seriously loved this sort of a thing as a kid too. More time and patience maybe back then (shrugs). 

It all goes back to something I discovered about Second Life about ten or so years ago:  Money ruins the fun.  SL was a blast when I first started, such a new idea, a virtual world, so much creativity!  A bit latter, though, I started focusing on how to make money in Second Life.  The game became NOT a game;  It became work.  Very tedious, low-paying work.  I hated logging in.  I hated Second Life.  It wasn't until I abandoned the "gotta make money gotta make money money money money why I am I not making money" mindset and play-style that I began to enjoy Second Life again:  Treat it like a game.  Have fun.  Don't turn it into a job.  Enjoy others' creativity.  Enjoy living in an age with such technology.

The focus on winning, the focus on an actual monetary amount to the prize -- it just puts too much pressure on me, and I begin to feel the way I did ten years or so ago.  I don't like that feeling.  I don't like it at all.

I might play the decipher game for fun, but if it takes too long to figure stuff out, I get bored or frustrated and have a real, scientifically verifiable need to do something else.  At least now, as an adult, I know this about my brain.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

It all goes back to something I discovered about Second Life about ten or so years ago:  Money ruins the fun.  SL was a blast when I first started, such a new idea, a virtual world, so much creativity!  A bit latter, though, I started focusing on how to make money in Second Life.  The game became NOT a game;  It became work.  Very tedious, low-paying work.  I hated logging in.  I hated Second Life.  It wasn't until I abandoned the "gotta make money gotta make money money money money why I am I not making money" mindset and play-style that I began to enjoy Second Life again:  Treat it like a game.  Have fun.  Don't turn it into a job.  Enjoy others' creativity.  Enjoy living in an age with such technology.

The focus on winning, the focus on an actual monetary amount to the prize -- it just puts too much pressure on me, and I begin to feel the way I did ten years or so ago.  I don't like that feeling.  I don't like it at all.

I might play the decipher game for fun, but if it takes too long to figure stuff out, I get bored or frustrated and have a real, scientifically verifiable need to do something else.  At least now, as an adult, I know this about my brain.

I fully understand what you mean. For a while I was into buying and selling land and somehow became very tied into that. I actually had physical work folders in my home generated by this particular pastime, and for one reason or another it did stop being fun for a while. I vowed never to allow my leisure pursuits to become like work ever again. 

The cipher game now for me has provided a few chunks of escapism for my brain which is currently very troubled by certain issues in my real life that I am unable to change but cannot accept.  Of course I would like to win because it would mean I actually have something of a functioning brain still, and as my financial situation isn't great, the premium membership for a year would be quite lovely to have for that reason also. 

This puzzle is proving more difficult though and I do hope it isn't in latin or a language from Game of Thrones or somewhere! I really think I would have had this solved by now if I was still my ten year old self. Don't us adults have an awful lot of mind clutter?! 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Chloe Bunny said:

Also if the four symbols just above the "moth" symbolised the letters of  "moth" then indeed that could be a starter key?

Snapshot_259.png

... or RIDE?

Some symbols look quite similar, but are not quite the same, and when they already look like "S"'s it can mess with your ability to decode too I think. 

The middle word is interesting - and is this sign the right way round or is the writing on the bridge and building the right way round? - middle word has  a word that begins (or ends) with sis or sys or non or nin or something. 

I hope this is helping someone to get to the next stage of solving this. I have to go cook and do other boring stuff in real life for a while. Will be dipping back in with interest though. 

(Hope it's ok to do this and not spoiling it for anyone. Please advise and I will remove if requested.)

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 5

OK.  So when I was a kid, I was in theater.  One of our first plays was about Hans Christen Anderson.  You know:  The guy who wrote "The Ugly Duckling", and "The Emperor's New Clothes".  So, maybe that's where I get the trait of being the one person bold enough to stand up and shout, "THE KING IS NAKED!"

I get called "negative" for this all the time.  But I've also worked in Tech Support, Customer Service, and Quality Assurance, so I know how important it is to find problems -- and even more so, to be brave enough to speak up about them.

So.  Here goes:  I REALLY wish they hadn't done this as another contest.  And THIS time with only ONE "winner".  And even if people DO form a team, only ONE of them gets the prize.  This sucks.

And there's nothing about the contest on the SL Website.  It's just a little blurb here in the Forums, and maybe a mention in one of the Belli groups.  Didn't we learn anything from the Great Pumpkin Fiasco of 2021?  Only the well-informed cool kids get a chance at the prize?

Why couldn't this have just been a fun community project for everyone to get involved in?  Where we all work together to figure out what the inscriptions say?  Why does it always have to be a competition?  Why does even Second Life have to be turned into a pissing contest?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

OK.  So when I was a kid, I was in theater.  One of our first plays was about Hans Christen Anderson.  You know:  The guy who wrote "The Ugly Duckling", and "The Emperor's New Clothes".  So, maybe that's where I get the trait of being the one person bold enough to stand up and shout, "THE KING IS NAKED!"

I get called "negative" for this all the time.  But I've also worked in Tech Support, Customer Service, and Quality Assurance, so I know how important it is to find problems -- and even more so, to be brave enough to speak up about them.

So.  Here goes:  I REALLY wish they hadn't done this as another contest.  And THIS time with only ONE "winner".  And even if people DO form a team, only ONE of them gets the prize.  This sucks.

And there's nothing about the contest on the SL Website.  It's just a little blurb here in the Forums, and maybe a mention in one of the Belli groups.  Didn't we learn anything from the Great Pumpkin Fiasco of 2021?  Only the well-informed cool kids get a chance at the prize?

Why couldn't this have just been a fun community project for everyone to get involved in?  Where we all work together to figure out what the inscriptions say?  Why does it always have to be a competition?  Why does even Second Life have to be turned into a pissing contest?

I felt like that about Friday's wonderful winter wonderland snowball fight and was stuck with my nose pressed up against the region border just looking on enviously with the other people who could not get in, then when I watched it "Live" a little later on Facebook found that the reason why I wasn't able to teleport in when there were 42 avatars in and then the world map displayed there were 44 and I still couldn't get in, but two people had, I found that was because the Lindens were just teleporting their favourite people in - albeit other Lindens and Moles - but somehow that really sucked. 

(Unsure about the pumpkin fiasco. Take it that was a Belli thing too.)

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 120 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.