The Bellisseria Cipher Challenge

Patch Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 98 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

You most definitely deserve to win and must have the patience of a saint to have got this far. I actually applauded you out loud here in real life, and felt such enormous relief I could give up! It has become almost an obsession with me and I can now go and catch up with my to-do list. :D

I hope Patch comes in with a favourable decision for you. 

Well done!

I agree

• Like 4

4 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Just heard a 5 second long variable tone coming out of the Moondoor pit in Eyrie at 09:12 SLT. Seems to repeat every 5 minutes or so. And it's daytime at present.

These sounds are identical to those heard at the swamp turtle in SSPE2754, also in daytime too.

I'm not hearing anything from the moon door except the humming and what sounds like something hissing or like steam pressure releasing sometimes. 

• Like 1

Thanks all :)

For those wondering on the process, here is the compact version :

For purposes of testing a theory, I assumed the last word on the moth ride rezzer sign was indeed 'ride', then matched those rune letters into the rest of the sign, of which the useful part were the 'i' letters in the middle word, also noting the first and third letters of the middle word are the same letter, so limiting what it might start, like bib, did, mim, etc.

I sat by the rezzer thinking about what it was, even googling to see what type of moth the ride is its kind of based on being a giant Luna moth. Now Luna and any mothy words I could find associated with it would not fit at all, and as I sat I thought well its a giant moth, so words for giant... maybe its a Gigantic moth, or in sciencey form, Gigantica. It fitted the 'gig' and the other letters so then add those letters across the rest of the sign. It could have been wrong, but it was definite worth a shot to apply to the other runes and see what comes out. If it had come up gibberish, then it would be go back and try again.

'Mole' did not even spring to mind in the first word, which is a bit mad cus it should have been shouting in my face :D

So giving up on the 1st word in the sign, I went to the runes on the buildings. Picked a start point and went through writing down the actual letters from the runes identified so far, leaving gaps where the letter was not known. I noticed that there were quite a few mirror images - but there was not likely to be more than 26 characters total, so knowing the orientation of the known runes I discounted all the rune areas that seemed backwards. With that done, some words start to pop out like the W of welcome and weary.

As words pop out they reveal other letters in other words, so just kept on going testing likely words and seeing if the letters they appeared to be worked into making other words in the rest of the line.

That filled out the line of runes from the buildings, so then I could take what was learned back to the moth rezzer sign and apply it to the previously unknown letters.

The runes on the bridge also proved mostly to be 'traveler' but with another 4 letter word between. I had the L A E letters already so it was only really likely to be Lake, as the only other is laze. Lake fitted the watery theme so I went with it.

So that's how it went, though it took a lot longer to do it than to write this down :D

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Atomic Infinity said:

'Mole' did not even spring to mind in the first word, which is a bit mad cus it should have been shouting in my face 

"Molethra" is obviously both a Mole nod and also nameplay of the famous Japanese "Mothra" giant moth monster of 1960s Godzilla style movies.

And to @DevinKnights84, stand at the northern rim edge of the Moondoor pit in Eyrie, at coordinates 128,62,49, you should wait around 5 minutes to hear the tone.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2021 at 4:38 PM, Atomic Infinity said:

Thanks all :)

For those wondering on the process, here is the compact version :

For purposes of testing a theory, I assumed the last word on the moth ride rezzer sign was indeed 'ride', then matched those rune letters into the rest of the sign, of which the useful part were the 'i' letters in the middle word, also noting the first and third letters of the middle word are the same letter, so limiting what it might start, like bib, did, mim, etc.

I sat by the rezzer thinking about what it was, even googling to see what type of moth the ride is its kind of based on being a giant Luna moth. Now Luna and any mothy words I could find associated with it would not fit at all, and as I sat I thought well its a giant moth, so words for giant... maybe its a Gigantic moth, or in sciencey form, Gigantica. It fitted the 'gig' and the other letters so then add those letters across the rest of the sign. It could have been wrong, but it was definite worth a shot to apply to the other runes and see what comes out. If it had come up gibberish, then it would be go back and try again.

'Mole' did not even spring to mind in the first word, which is a bit mad cus it should have been shouting in my face :D

So giving up on the 1st word in the sign, I went to the runes on the buildings. Picked a start point and went through writing down the actual letters from the runes identified so far, leaving gaps where the letter was not known. I noticed that there were quite a few mirror images - but there was not likely to be more than 26 characters total, so knowing the orientation of the known runes I discounted all the rune areas that seemed backwards. With that done, some words start to pop out like the W of welcome and weary.

As words pop out they reveal other letters in other words, so just kept on going testing likely words and seeing if the letters they appeared to be worked into making other words in the rest of the line.

That filled out the line of runes from the buildings, so then I could take what was learned back to the moth rezzer sign and apply it to the previously unknown letters.

The runes on the bridge also proved mostly to be 'traveler' but with another 4 letter word between. I had the L A E letters already so it was only really likely to be Lake, as the only other is laze. Lake fitted the watery theme so I went with it.

So that's how it went, though it took a lot longer to do it than to write this down :D

It's interesting how you hit on "giant" because that never occurred to me, as they didn't seem that giant, but then, I'm used to the moths near that *other* Linden public place providing free moth wings, and the Metaverse Mercury has a little contest for the first person to guess which that location is: 25L and a gift. IM the avatar with that name if you have a guess.

What I did: I figured the moth sign was key, and if we proceed from the assumption that the cypher directly correlates with English, even things like "th" as separate letters (which is not always how such things work), then the sign had either the word "moth" or "ride" or "here". So I tried all of those, then settled on "ride," then went back to the wall, and kept trying to isolate letters, which was hard given that some went in reverse and some in reverse were separate letters (like "P" and "R" as it turned out). Once Patch gave us the vowels "A" and "E" and "U," it turned into a game of hangman rather than a cypher break. We had "I" and the other three, so obviously "O" was the last one left on the moth sign. So there I wasted an awful lot of time both looking up odd moth names to see if they would fit (they never did), and mining Scrabble help pages that tell you words that end in "ora" or "era" and so on. 

I should try to figure out why I was sure that second word had "ora" when as you discovered, it had "ica". It's often hard to drop failed hypotheses while doing these things...

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 98 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.