The Women Are Marching Today!

Luna Bliss

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 964 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

It ends up being a S~T storm with no one changing anyone's mind on either side and just blathering on about why they are right.  That's why.  

And that is the only reason these threads are started. They fill a need for the OP. 

Spot on, Sam1.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Abortion is obviously a highly contentious subject about which many people have completely irreconcilable views and which raises potentially extremely personal, and sometimes painful, memories for many people. 

It's also a subject that, for whatever reasons, preoccupies people in the US far more than it does in many other countries, who look on with bafflement at the obsession in some parts of the US with a subject that's hardly on the political radar anywhere else.

So I'm really not sure it's a wise topic for these forums -- there are plenty of other places, more appropriate in my view, to discuss topics like this, and I don't see the benefit in discussing it here, too, since it's inevitably going to turn into a fight, and that's not what most of us are here for.

I'm out, anyway.   

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, xLunaea said:

I don't understand why people can't have these types of discussions on here. Is SL just for funsies and nothing else?

Feel free to talk to me about it. I am here to read peoples opinions about anything.

(not that i do care but still it;s an interesting read).

SO the subject is abortions?

I  think people should be allowed to do whatever they like with their body and it's nobody else's business. Don't want to have a child? Well ok,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

I don't see any problem with the forums here discussing such issues

It's a divisive issue for some people which risks unnecessary polarisation of the SL community, large parts of which has fudge all to do with Texas law. Not to mention the fact that there are several places to discuss that type of topic elsewhere on the Internet for those who are interested.

2 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

the whole idea of a metaverse is that it is an extension to our RL world, not a rabbit-hole into which we all bolt to escape from the patches of awfulness that drift across the sky from time to time.

Whose idea? There's no shortage of people who use Second Life for the purpose of escapism from an unappealing or chaotic reality, who'd love to have a sanctuary from the real world on goings as far as politics, wars, pandemics, and suchlike are concerned. If you want to use SL as an extension to your RL that's all well and good, but that doesn't mean that that's everyone's idea of how to use the platform.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Whose idea? There's no shortage of people who use Second Life for the purpose of escapism from an unappealing or chaotic reality,

42 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:

That is exactly what SL is for some people.

Ok, so some people want SL to be a closed universe with an event-horizon. I don't know if they're the majority.

There is a choice whether or not to read a forum topic, whether or not to reply to it, whether or not to react... It's not too hard to make such choices.

In the final outcome it's going to be what LL decide, of course, and I expect this thread is going to be curtailed.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku

• Moles
14 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

In the final outcome it's going to be what LL decide, of course, and I expect this thread is going to be curtailed.

That will rather depend on how the thread develops, I think.     It doesn't have to turn nasty unless people choose so to make it so.     If they do, then various consequences may well follow, but there's no need for anyone to precipitate them.

Edited by Quartz Mole
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Is there anything worse than a wasted life? I can only imagine a few things worse than going through life having never really lived. From the time we are born we strive to connect in ways that meaningfully aid our journey. I'm reminded of my young grandson, who even at 6 weeks of age was struggling to know life to its fullest, wriggling in my arms trying to gain the strength to sit up and crawl, obsessed with all the elements of his surrounding world he wanted so desperately to reach and explore but could not.

Society can be a blessing or a curse, aiding a person in their quest to have a fulfilling life or stomping out the flame and stealing the soul of any earnest seeker.

Stereotypes are soul-stealing -- stereotypes have the effect of controlling others as they attempt to make their target into the image they deem is right. 
Though conditions fare better for women in the Western world and in more recent years, for those who have a penchant for controlling others the bodies of women are still seen by many as something rightfully owned by society, little more than 'walking wombs' or 'walking holes'.

How many Chopin's and Monet's did we lose along the way as we relegated women only to the home, never allowing them to explore the wider world and make a meaningful contribution?
How many talented women do we suppress today by not offering needed help with the all-consuming task of childcare? (some good news here -- a recent bill, if passed, will give more support to those needing childcare in the U.S.).

I really can't express how enthused I was seeing all the women marching in so many cities yesterday, coming together to support each other in an attempt to make a better world -- an attempt to have control of their very own body, to prevent back-alley abortions and deaths along with the unwanted children born into poverty. We have to take a stand for our lives if we want to be considered as more than walking-wombs for society.  The women are marching!

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

What I do know is that so much stuff is horrible and crappy right now, that I need the affirmation of knowing that there are people who care about others -- who will speak out with them, march with them, fight alongside them.

I need to be reminded, occasionally, that mostly people are pretty good, and that, little by little, actually, the world does become a little less dark every time someone reaches out for someone else's hand.

This march is about a lot of things -- but right now, for me, that's what is most important.

YES!

And thank you for pointing out others who are helping...via the proceeds from the song you posted.

4 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

Coming off the back of what's been happening in the UK of late, there does need to be a sea-change in the word attitudes to women. I don't see any problem with the forums here discussing such issues, the whole idea of a metaverse is that it is an extension to our RL world, not a rabbit-hole into which we all bolt to escape from the patches of awfulness that drift across the sky from time to time.

I wish that were true.

10 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

A couple years back there was a woman's march. Something about going on strike. They said it'd be a "day without women".

And all I could think was, "The peace and quiet will be wonderful. We should have these all the time."

Oooooo, Jackie Gleason's gag writers are still alive? Cool!

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

It's also a subject that, for whatever reasons, preoccupies people in the US far more than it does in many other countries, who look on with bafflement at the obsession in some parts of the US with a subject that's hardly on the political radar anywhere else.

It might be an issue that is strong in the US - lots of protests and marches on both sides of the issue - but it is an issue that really is in the news in other countries also.

Just last week, women in Latin America were demonstrating for safe abortion rights:
https://www.aljazeera.com/gallery/2021/9/29/global-day-of-action-for-access-to-legal-safe-and-free-abortion-protesters-demand-abortion-rights-across-latin-america

and there was this article about the abortion views in Europe - in the news just a few weeks ago:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/not-just-texas-europe-grapples-abortion-laws-limits-n1279324

I remember reading about abortion being legalized in Argentina back in Jan of this year - and they had massive demonstrations For and Against.

Also in the news, effective Jan of this year, abortion has been severely restricted in Poland, from some ruling last fall, and that sparked all sorts of protests.

However, as many have pointed out, it is a very strong emotional issue for many people, and often the emotional issues are the ones that end up not doing well in these forums, often devolving into personal attacks and one-on-one bickering. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

That will rather depend on how the thread develops, I think.     It doesn't have to turn nasty unless people choose so to make it so.     If they do, then various consequences may well follow, but there's no need for anyone to precipitate them.

On a mboard I'm a Mod on we have a similar thread. It has over 100 posts already and the we're trying to keep the train on the track. It is a touchy subject and the board's admin said to think their comment over before slapping the Submit button.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

and there was this article about the abortion views in Europe - in the news just a few weeks ago:

I think the biggest difference between the U.S. and many of these other countries is that we don't support children and mothers (or fathers if they are the caretaker) via our laws and social work programs as much as most EU countries do.

I mean, if you're going to force a woman to have a child while claiming it's for the good of the child, then help that child after he/she is born too!

44 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/not-just-texas-europe-grapples-abortion-laws-limits-n1279324

Neither Poland nor Malta (a microstate, by the by) are particularly representative of either Europe or the EU though. It's a bit like saying 'in Asia they don't eat beef' because of India being a part of it.

am not sure how deputising the citizens to carry out a State law enforcement function can be done to avoid a State official being included in a lawsuit.  As the legal deputy would be acting with the legal authority of the State, and in the absence of any other official then it would be the State Governor, on whose signature into law the deputisation was authorised validated

is not like a bounty hunter, who is empowered by the contract signed by the bailed person which makes bounty hunting a matter of a signed civil contract. In the case of the legally deputised abortion-support hunter there is no civil contract only the State authorised deputation

am pretty sure that legal minds are thinking about this already tho

22 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Abortion is obviously a highly contentious subject about which many people have completely irreconcilable views and which raises potentially extremely personal, and sometimes painful, memories for many people. 

So I'm really not sure it's a wise topic for these forums -- there are plenty of other places, more appropriate in my view, to discuss topics like this, and I don't see the benefit in discussing it here, too, since it's inevitably going to turn into a fight, and that's not what most of us are here for.

I'm out, anyway.   

I think it's contentious because issues like this in the US can have ramifications that last decades. Comparing US politics to other parts of the world is like comparing apples to oranges. US regions and some states are the size of some countries. States can govern themselves for the most part but have to adhere to a single federal government. EU nations for instance only have to answer to themselves. If certain laws are passed in the US they could directly affect other parts of the country that are as culturally different as say Germany and France. Especially if they go up to the Supreme Court. Supreme Court Justices can serve as long as they live. Meaning what they decide likely won't be changed for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Finite

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 964 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.