Unable to return encroaching object ?

Coffee Pancake

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 973 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have some land, it is deeded to a group of which I am the founder.

An object placed on a neighboring parcel not owned by me visibly encroaches yet I am unable to return it.

Why ?

I don't have slack tier or land I can parcel up and mess about with to try and determine if its because my land is group deeded or not. Can anyone shed some light ?

Further experimentation.

I'm not mad .. I'm just curious as to why this doesn't work.

Seems the neighbor left the parcel with open rez rights.

Using an alt that is in none of the involved land groups (both parcels are group deeded) I was able to a place a large prim that SERIOUSLY intersected my house (the only house you see in the picture).

Using the account that owns the group my land is deeded too (me), with the group active, I am unable to return the plywood cube.

Which I should totally be able to do .. this smells like a bug. But as I have said, I don't have land I can play with parceling up to determine the conditions causing this to fail. 

image.png.4c3be0f9987d7553b03fa26055be63d5.png

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Which I should totally be able to do .. this smells like a bug. But as I have said, I don't have land I can play with parceling up to determine the conditions causing this to fail. 

I'd report it to LL anyway and tell them in the comments that you have limited ability to do more diagnostics -- and be sure to give your land location so they can come figure it out for themselves.  While it is helpful to LL if we can provide lots of diagnostic info, it isn't our job to do so.  

7 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Further experimentation.

I'm not mad .. I'm just curious as to why this doesn't work.

Seems the neighbor left the parcel with open rez rights.

Using an alt that is in none of the involved land groups (both parcels are group deeded) I was able to a place a large prim that SERIOUSLY intersected my house (the only house you see in the picture).

Using the account that owns the group my land is deeded too (me), with the group active, I am unable to return the plywood cube.

image.png.4c3be0f9987d7553b03fa26055be63d5.png

Is this on Mainland? Is any/all encroachment return affected in the region?

If memory serves, encroachment return is a console setting for estates. @Whirly Fizzle am I thinking right?

In this land group, which you are not the owner, Is Return objects set to group and Return non-group objects also checked for you?   It is under Parcel Content in Members & Roles in Group Profile.

If you have Object Entry not checked for Everyone, it should also return in the time you have set for auto-return.

Infringement where the root prim is not on your land might need the region owner's assistance.

Might even be group settings, if you've somehow turned of officer or owner ability to return stuff.  Also, even though you're the group owner, are you set to that role?  If you set your role to a lower level (to have a different tag over your head, for example) it might not have the ability to return stuff.  Try switching over to the owner role.

On 8/31/2021 at 4:36 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

I have some land, it is deeded to a group of which I am the founder.

An object placed on a neighboring parcel not owned by me visibly encroaches yet I am unable to return it.

This happened to me as well back when I had a plot in Horizons. My neighbor rezzed some glowing rocks and metal bars that overlapped into my plot and return failed. I had to put a wall on my own plot covering them.

We were adjacent plots on the same region.

Mystery solved ... In the region console

> get allow_return_encroaching_object
allow_return_encroaching_object = FALSE

So this ability is specifically disabled for Horizons and Linden Home regions.

Due to the age of Horizons .. there is a fair chance no one at LL remembers why and it just got forgotten when enabling this for all mainland.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I wonder if they just screwed up, intending to clear only allow_return_encroaching_estate_object instead. They especially need that on these regions where all the houses are linked to an off-parcel root which should be an estate object unless there are bigger problems lurking. Thing is, that's also needed on all of Mainland where LDPW builds may extend onto private land. I know plenty of places where Linden roads, sidewalks, etc. encroach on my land and I'm very sure I can't return them but I can return privately-owned encroachment, so that makes the different setting on Horizons and Linden Homes seem weird.

On 9/5/2021 at 9:31 AM, Coffee Pancake said:

Mystery solved ... In the region console

> get allow_return_encroaching_object

Due to the age of Horizons .. there is a fair chance no one at LL remembers why and it just got forgotten when enabling this for all mainland.

That's weird. Back when I had my Horizons plot I was sure it was only those rocks that I'd failed to return. The guy had originally rezzed a whole pile of stuff over the line.

I wish I knew some of my Linden Home Neighbors. I'd set up a test to see if we could return each other's stuff.

Maybe, for Horizons at least - this should be submitted as a bug. JIRA or AR or whatever it the proper method for that (probably Jira but that's always felt like the folder for it is in /dev/null...).

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 973 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.