Jump to content

The end of gachas is sadly not the end of the ill nature of some people.


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 74 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

While it is a wonderful thing to see gachas being banned i'm afraid it will not stop there, these people that call themselves creators will simply find new means of luring consumers in with another "mystery" concept that in reality allows them to conceal rushed and often poorly made products behind it. Like a casino it does it's best to appear innocent while vulnerable customers such as children and other poor souls that are easily addicted becomes its victim.

These people with a abusive nature often defend themselves with "they have a choice" i'm sure the casino say the exact same while having set up traps before you even enter Las Vegas. The trap with gachas is that they gate a "rare" which is in reality not rare at all, they use this word in order to get you to buy as much trash as possible on the journey before you get to the destination "rare".

Another excuse they like to use is "it's a game of chance" but once you start digging for the truth it becomes quite clear that it really isn't a game of chance at all.'

The more gachas they put into their machine regardless of the chance the event use (usually 3-7%) they will always get more money out of it regardless of who wins what, that's something you can count on.

 

At the end of the day many of us buy mystery boxes and gachas, often because the products we want only comes from that, but for your own sake stay away from Mystery products, they are obviously designed to deceive you just like a casino is.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:

What can do is boycott merchants who don't sell their items in normal vendors. Speak with your wallet, not your words.

There's not one person in sl that could not learn something from that. But it's easier said than done telling an addicted person to vote with their wallet, it's not that simple i'm afraid.

There are many that are addicted while not to the product but to the "mystery" part of not knowing what you're getting.

Casinos and other gambling use the exact same concept that rob targeted people of their homes and livelihoods, "you never know if you're going to win" it works the exact same way as gachas.

Edited by Victoria Evergarden
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:

What can do is boycott merchants who don't sell their items in normal vendors. Speak with your wallet, not your words.

What's funny is vendors that do that pushed me towards trying gacha since some of their prices are comparable to what I normally spend playing a gacha. Fatpack outfit 2500L - 3000L 50 colors all solids (is solids the new black in SL or something?). VS 2500-3000 full gacha outfit with not just different colors or a 1-3 piece outfit but different textures and a full ensemble as well.

There was also the social aspect of trading with other gacha players to complete sets or giving extras to friends. I just gave a friend a full set of an Uzu gacha yesterday.

From my own personal experience, I got more bang for my SL buck playing gacha than buying plain solid fatpacks which I avoid  like the plague now and will continue to do so even with the gacha ban.

Edited by Finite
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:

Good for you, many or most did not.

I don't think this is true at all. I feel like many spent 100 to 500L on a gacha, didn't get the thing they wanted in 2 or 3 tries and it scarred them to the point of hating gacha and thinking everyone who does like them are some gambling addicted fiends.

And I must say the posters on these forums or any forum are hardly representative of the "many or most". Just look at the concept of gambling for instance. It would seem a majority are against gambling from reading the forums but in reality 65% (69% of Americans) of people have no issue with it and roughly 3% have an actual gambling addiction.

Edited by Finite
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Finite said:

I don't think this is true at all. I feel like many spent 100 to 500L on a gacha, didn't get the thing they wanted in 2 or 3 tries and it scarred them to the point of hating gacha and thinking everyone who does like them are some gambling addicted fiends.

See, this is where you are wrong. It's simple math. If a rare drops at a 5% chance, then every single pull 95% of the players will lose out, with only 5% getting that rare.

That 5% chance doesn't stack the more you play, each time it's only a 5% chance. Some get lucky, most do not.

  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This banning of gacha machines isn’t about SL clutching their pearls at the thought of gambling addictions being formed on their platform or the morality of rigged games of chance.  It would be great if folks could grasp that concept. It’s not nearly dramatic as all that & frankly it conjures up visions of gacha peddlers personified as some 1960s cartoon villain named Snidley Whiplash tying the damsel in distress (poor defenseless, “can’t possibly resist gachas or take responsibility for their spending” shoppers) down on the railroad tracks.

Banning gachas are about the regulations for tax commissions & licensing etc. If this was about morals or ethics of human nature a whole lot of the underbelly of SL would feel the hammer & disappear.  

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:

See, this is where you are wrong. It's simple math. If a rare drops at a 5% chance, then every single pull 95% of the players will lose out, with only 5% getting that rare.

That 5% chance doesn't stack the more you play, each time it's only a 5% chance. Some get lucky, most do not.

Most actual gacha players didn't play just for the rare. Gamblers played just for the rare for the purpose of selling them for a profit (which rarely if ever worked out in their favor per the odds you mentioned hence the salty feelings toward gachas). Gacha players like myself wanted the full set and more often than not spent less than what "normal" vendors charge for their basic fat packs.

I just played a gacha the other day I got 4 rares before completing the set. I gave one set to my alt which I then split in two since it had versions of Jake and Gianni. My alt kept the jake stuff and I sent the gianni stuff back to finite. I can now either sell that to recoup some of what I had spent or give it away to a friend who uses gianni.

Not that there weren't any predatory gacha vendors out there. There surely was and I've been lured in by them myself a couple times and it certainly left a bad taste. But that just made me not play their gachas again. It didnt affect how I felt about all gachas.

And there's just as many predatory "normal" vendors out there who like to show the high price to give the perception of high or better quality in reality its the same quality (or even the same outfit) as the vendor selling it for a 3rd of the price.

 

On side note I think people who play gacha for only the rare do not understand what gachas are or what even their market is. The rares are only valuable to someone trying to complete a set. More often than not that person already has the rare and is just looking for 1 off piece to complete the set. A rare by itself isn't even worth that much. A rare as part of a complete set is. So if you only played them for the rare then you already lost before even playing.

Edited by Finite
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Finite said:

Most actual gacha players didn't play just for the rare.

And you know that how? If we're going by 'feeling' then I beg to differ greatly.

4 minutes ago, Finite said:

I just played a gacha the other day I got 4 rares before completing the set.

Again, you as an indvidual got lucky, the next person playing the machine has a great chance of not being that lucky. I could give exact numbers but I don't know the % of that certain machine.

5 minutes ago, Finite said:

Not that there weren't any predatory gacha vendors out there.

Going by the big Gacha events (that were posted to seraphim) most of them were.

You seem to think all who oppose gacha's have had bad experiences, that's another fault in your logic. There's plenty who play them but aren't sad to see them go by seeing them for what they were and deliberately buying into it. It's over now, there's no need to beat that dead horse any longer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:

And you know that how? If we're going by 'feeling' then I beg to differ greatly.

Yes I can only base it off my feelings as this is a discussion board and facts are hard to find if not missing entirely on the forums. We can only discuss what our feelings and experiences are.

 

7 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:

Again, you as an indvidual got lucky, the next person playing the machine has a great chance of not being that lucky. I could give exact numbers but I don't know the % of that certain machine.

Yes I pointed out my experience since I am not naive enough to think I speak for everybody or a majority.

7 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:

You seem to think all who oppose gacha's have had bad experiences

Yes this is my opinion on this discussion board topic.

 

7 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:

that's another fault in your logic.

Nope. It's just an opinion. That's why I begin sentences with "i think".

Edited by Finite
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:

Going by the big Gacha events (that were posted to seraphim) most of them were.

This in itself is an opinion. The same kind you (I guess?) have some issue with me over. Did you play the gachas to determine which ones were predatory? Did you inspect each and all of their scripts to form this assumption?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Finite said:

This in itself is an opinion. The same kind you (I guess?) have some issue with me over. Did you play the gachas to determine which ones were predatory? Did you inspect each and all of their scripts to form this assumption?

You don't need to see the percentages of the rare or play a machine to know its predatory.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:

You don't need to see the percentages of the rare or play a machine to know its predatory.

Ya and I just walked away from those obvious ones.I would think  most did the same. Similar to how I walk away from basic fatpacks for 2500L, I walk way from gacha with 50+ items in it. (actually my utmost limit was 25 but mostly played at 20 or less.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

Didn't we have this all before in that ugly long thread with repeat after repeat after repeat of the several available mantras?

Yet here we are back with the same rationalizations for why it isn't gambling or exploitation.   Tiresome but some people like to pound on things for no apparent reason.  

Yes, we KNOW you have no issue with gachas.  No, you're NOT going to change anyone's mind.  Give it a rest.  

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Yet here we are back with the same rationalizations for why it isn't gambling or exploitation.   Tiresome but some people like to pound on things for no apparent reason.  

Yes, we KNOW you have no issue with gachas.  No, you're NOT going to change anyone's mind.  Give it a rest.  

Don't think I said that here but okay read what you want. It's quite common. And likewise my dear.

Edited by Finite
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

   I haven't actually looked at how the new policy is worded, but I'd expect it doesn't just say 'gachas', but any purchases where you don't know what you're getting .. In proper legalese, of course. 

   .. I went and peeked, and according to the FAQ on the announcement: 

386485a8cd803cab2b451196ba206276.png

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Victoria Evergarden said:

While it is a wonderful thing to see gachas being banned i'm afraid it will not stop there, these people that call themselves creators will simply find new means of luring consumers in with another "mystery" concept that in reality allows them to conceal rushed and often poorly made products behind it. Like a casino it does it's best to appear innocent while vulnerable customers such as children and other poor souls that are easily addicted becomes its victim.

These people with a abusive nature often defend themselves with "they have a choice" i'm sure the casino say the exact same while having set up traps before you even enter Las Vegas. The trap with gachas is that they gate a "rare" which is in reality not rare at all, they use this word in order to get you to buy as much trash as possible on the journey before you get to the destination "rare".

Another excuse they like to use is "it's a game of chance" but once you start digging for the truth it becomes quite clear that it really isn't a game of chance at all.'

The more gachas they put into their machine regardless of the chance the event use (usually 3-7%) they will always get more money out of it regardless of who wins what, that's something you can count on.

 

At the end of the day many of us buy mystery boxes and gachas, often because the products we want only comes from that, but for your own sake stay away from Mystery products, they are obviously designed to deceive you just like a casino is.

 

 

 

 

Yes, indeed, you got that right. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The thing about Gachas that I didn't know is that they were resellable.

How utterly tacky, yukky, hurlzable and distasteful.

New word for today: Hurlzable = 🤮🥴

Edited by Maryanne Solo
Added carrot chunks. Splatter, splodge, squish.
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Maryanne Solo said:

The thing about Gachas that I didn't know is that they were resellable.

How utterly tacky, yukky, hurlzable and distasteful.

New word for today: Hurlzable = 🤮🥴

But also obviously- transferable.  I don’t know how many times I gave for the sake of helping complete strangers who would ask in various group chats for different things.  Maybe they were new & wanted “cheap” hair- well I’ve got 5 copies of this hair, in such & such colors- let me send you one.  Or someone who was hoping to win a particular item & never could & didn’t find it in a yard sale.  Just bought a new body & needed help building wardrobe?  Guess what- I’ve got plenty.   More often than not I was met with mistrust- or instant responses of “no wait I can’t pay you”.  But I never asked for money.  Just the pleasure of being helpful.  Let’s not forget housewarming & pixel partnership presents.  Not sure how many toasters & cocoa makers I gave away over the years.

I understand why they’re being banned (the machines) but they weren’t nearly dripping with the evil attributed to them as a whole.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 74 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...