New Gacha Policy Discussion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1032 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

Is Gacha gambling? Yes.  Is gambling illegal in the US of A where Linden Labs is based? Yes. Does it matter who or how many people want Gacha to continue? No.

I enjoyed gachas.  I am okay with it going out of SL too.   There are a few details that concern me that I hope get worked out.  There were some creators that did amazing work on their gacha sets.  I really hope they will still offer them as a straight purchase as it would just be sad if they weren't available in the future.  But that is what is linked to my second concern and I have already mentioned it.  There was a suggestion here that because the sets were only released as a gacha item, event agreements may have been written so that the original creators would be prohibited from selling their own creations even in light of this ruling, and that we could only get them from gacha resellers.   Take out gacha,  that's fine.  Making it so that a creator can't even sell their work?  That's not so fine.  (And I am not even a creator). 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Yhishara Cerise said:

You mean like joining a group for $250 L with the promise of group gifts only to find the next group gift something you don't like or want?  You might like every other gift except that one.  

Ah, no I don't mean a group, because that is a one time payment, yes ?
I mean an actual subscription as in you pay a fee every month to get every single item produced until the end of the month by the brand. (or maybe would work better if you pay one month for the next, so that you can't join in on a month that has already started?)
legal question : can the items issued from a subscription be transfer (convertible for copy/mod) ?

8 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Last I had heard, they do give preview of Powder Pack now.  It is irrelevant though, base on this, from the blog post:

Q: How are subscription boxes affected?

A: Subscription boxes are not affected as long as all subscribers are getting the same content box. Different items being sent to different subscribers on a chance basis is not allowed. 

Ah - I understand.  Thanks Littleme. 

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

^sighs

The mere prescense of chance in the mechanics of something is not grounds for it to be banned. Lucky chairs operate on the chance of someone's name being called but at no point do they spend money.

The rules as spelled out by patch state the issue is when someone exchanges linden for a product they must know exactly what they are getting but in that sense it is limited to the actual exchange, at least on the surface.

2 minutes ago, Deathly Fright said:

if you have a problem with this you also have a problem with lucky chairs as there is only a chance that you get the free item

Lucky chairs are to try and bring people into the store.  99% of the time, they are cheap, simple or junk items.  No one would mix a Lucky Chair and a Gacha, since no one would then play said Gacha and just get the item from the Lucky Chair, for free.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Silas Merlin said:

Ah, no I don't mean a group, because that is a one time payment, yes ?
I mean an actual subscription as in you pay a fee every month to get every single item produced until the end of the month by the brand. (or maybe would work better if you pay one month for the next, so that you can't join in on a month that has already started?)
legal question : can the items issued from a subscription be transfer (convertible for copy/mod) ?

Sorry - I was being a bit facetious. 

I think that would more fall into a partnership type of deal.  As in a blogger might agree to profile someone's work and get the items for free.  Or if you were a business partner where you did behind the scenes work (setting up vendors, setting up notices, taking care of customer service requests etc). 

The point of lucky chairs is to increase traffic not to make a profit. The conveyer belt method is designed to produce income with a chance of getting a rare. Sounds like you are comparing apples and oranges but not seeing the difference between the two.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Komarimono said:

99% of the time, they are cheap, simple or junk items.

there is nothing stopping anybody from putting a good item in them. and wouldn't doing that drive traffic higher then as there is a chance of people getting the rare?

also, wouldn't that also drive people to buy into the conveyor to not have to wait?

Edited by Deathly Fright
  • Confused 1

What's preventing GACHA creators from using a 3rd party to continue making their GACHA? The site could be based where GACHA is legal or unregulated. Someone could purchase a bunch of tickets or "turns" from the site and use those turns on in-world vendor that only excepts these tickets. There's already a lot of 3rd party mesh in SL from sites like Turbosquid and CGtrader. I've used these a few times for personal items if I don't like what's available in SL if looking for something very specific or just don't like the quality and feel I could render it better with better textures. Seems it would be a lot more worrisome than playing in-world with Lindens. But it would be off the grid and SL's hands would be clean of anything.

11 minutes ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

It's all-over Flickr and their site etc. Whats in every box usually. So it's not a blind box. People know what's inside. 

I have bought very few PowderPacks and that was a very long time ago.  So I really have no idea what's on their Flickr or website as I never visit either one.   I know they took a break and then started them up again.  That's about all I know.   But thank you for the information. 

5 minutes ago, Komarimono said:

This I did not know of, since not documented on the 7seas information.  I've also never encountered custom fish at places that are listed as 7seas fishing.  Not even sure how they could, since the scripts are No-Mod.

Technically, Maitimo made a mistake, since you don't put custom catches in the server barrel itself. There's a separate object called a Custom Prize Giver (CPG) into which you can put items, and these will be given out according to the rules set in the CPG's configuration notecards - they can be given as a percentage of all catches, or assigned rarities and given out as a percentage of that kind of catch. You still get the official fish as well, the CPG works in addition to. You can even see a list of fishing areas with customs on the 7Seas website: http://www.7seasfishing.com/areas.html (select "Areas with Customs")

The CPG is part of the Fishing Area Kit (i.e. it comes with the server) and is fully documented there. It doesn't come with the rods (and isnt' documented with them).

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Komarimono said:

This I did not know of, since not documented on the 7seas information.  I've also never encountered custom fish at places that are listed as 7seas fishing.  Not even sure how they could, since the scripts are No-Mod.

From the main page:

Fish List: All the official fish and other items you can catch in the 7Seas Fishing Game. We add more frequently. In addition to the official fish, lots of fishing areas have added their own OpenSeas Content.

http://www.7seasfishing.com/

Clicking on OpenSeas content takes you here:

http://www.7seasfishing.com/cc.html

My opinion (which really isn't worth a crap in the grand scheme of things) on the conveyor belt stuff: 

If I pay L$ to get the shown item A and then the vendor spins its randomizer and shows item B and anyone can buy it, then the L$ is not really tied to the random item -- thus allowed.  The only reason I can see someone doing this is to try to increase traffic hoping that people will hang around in an attempt to be the one that nabs rare item X.

If I pay L$ to get the shown item A and then the vendor spins its randomizer and shows item B, but the vendor is locked to allow me some amount of time to purchase B, then my spending is directly tied to the random item -- thus not allowed.

Just now, Deathly Fright said:

there is nothing stopping anybody from not putting a junk item in them. and wouldn't doing that drive traffic higher then as there is a chance of people getting the rare?

I don't think you're understanding.  No one would make the purchase, and would simply use the Lucky Chair aspect, thus no income.  And you don't have to be the one who wants it, and needs to sit on it.  "Lucky Chair!  If you name begins with E, win a prize!"  TP your SL friend in that name starts with E.  It's actually a common tactic people use to help people new to SL to get clothing and the like for years to reset the timer, and if now has Gacha items?  Can just sit and trade it.

3 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

The point of lucky chairs is to increase traffic not to make a profit. The conveyer belt method is designed to produce income with a chance of getting a rare. Sounds like you are comparing apples and oranges but not seeing the difference between the two.

I know what the point of having a lucky chair is as well as a gatcha...

what I'm saying is this, if you can get the rare item for free then the gambling part is not there. there is no "pressure" to buy to get the item

2 minutes ago, Komarimono said:

I don't think you're understanding.  No one would make the purchase, and would simply use the Lucky Chair aspect, thus no income.  And you don't have to be the one who wants it, and needs to sit on it.  "Lucky Chair!  If you name begins with E, win a prize!"  TP your SL friend in that name starts with E.  It's actually a common tactic people use to help people new to SL to get clothing and the like for years to reset the timer, and if now has Gacha items?  Can just sit and trade it.

people would still buy... especially if they are a reseller and want multiple items in the conveyor.

Just now, Deathly Fright said:

what I'm saying is this, if you can get the rare item for free then the gambling part is not there. there is no "pressure" to buy to get the item

Are you saying that no one has to pay any money to participate in the conveyer? If no, then good to go but the moment anyone spends money participating then it crosses the line because money has been spent and there are odds in obtaining the rare.

12 minutes ago, Deathly Fright said:

if you have a problem with this you also have a problem with lucky chairs as there is only a chance that you get the free item

When was the last time you had to pay L$75 (for example) every single time you wanted to sit on a lucky chair?

• Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Deathly Fright said:

people would still buy... especially if they are a reseller and want multiple items in the conveyor.

Why would they, when they can just exploit the system and get it for free?  Who would spend any $L, when you can just bring in someone with the Correct Letter in their name, and get the item that way?

1 minute ago, Deathly Fright said:

I know what the point of having a lucky chair is as well as a gatcha...

For example: 7seas fishing lets you get fish for free, you could even get a rare one for free maybe, but when you buy and expend bait your odds of getting rare fish are significantly higher.

Now compare that to a lucky chair where you have the option to just outright buy either better odds or the rare lucky chair product itself: you can still get the rare thing for free but paying lets you get it quicker (if I'm interpreting this correctly) and thusly not making it a gacha.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Blush Bravin said:

Are you saying that no one has to pay any money to participate in the conveyer? If no, then good to go but the moment anyone spends money participating then it crosses the line because money has been spent and there are odds in obtaining the rare.

that's what I have been saying.. no money must be used, but can be.

hell, there are other freebie schemes in SL that drive traffic that can be combined with a conveyor to allow for both winning for free and buying

2 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

When was the last time you had to pay L$75 (for example) every single time you wanted to sit on a lucky chair?

no... money...needs...to..be...spent...to...get...the...rare....just...luck

and Silent talked about my reading comprehension

Edited by Deathly Fright

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1032 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.