And you thought real estate in SL was expensive

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1036 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

And yes, there are mentalists out there paying RL prices for virtual land lol

https://futurism.com/virtual-real-estate

Genesis City is a plot of virtual land, roughly the size of Washington, D.C., that investors can buy slices of for obscene amounts of money. Even a simple 1,100 square foot plot can go for as much as $200,000, according to Bloomberg.

Thoughts?

That article is from 2018. There are lots of those "buy virtual real estate" things now. Upland, which supposedly uses Tilia for payout, is one. ("Supposedly", because only certain privileged Upland users can take money out. Is it a scam? Good question.)

The linked article is about Decentraland, which has parcels that sell for over US$100,000. There's even a virtual real estate investment trust.

You can visit Decentraland now, if you like. It's not very big, it has only 200 to 300 logged in users, and it looks like a cartoon world. But it has good onboarding and works in a browser.

11 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I wish them the best of luck.
My guess is you can build castles in the air there too.

… and considering the price, they better be moving in permanently to said castles in the air🏰

Can’t fix stupid 😅

Edited by Krystina Ferraris
  • Like 1

Earth 2 is the 'new' Major player in fake land. A lot of buzz about whether it's a giant scam or not. They made a 1 to 1 copy of the Earth from Google map and are selling land like it was an NFT. They have made Millions, so far. This is in no way an endorsement. I wouldn't touch it with a 20 foot flying willy.

There isn't even a game behind it yet. They claim to be making it into a metaverse style building game but right now there is zero game play. Just a way to buy virtual plots of land.

Edited by Artorius Constantine
Edited because I can't spell. or proofread.
  • Like 1

Just had a evil thought. Another thread there was discussion of "voids" in SL --- Maybe Linden Lab could sell those voids to anyone for a good chunk of change and use the revenue to pay AWS to activate them into a navigational waterway. I should ask the person who told me about SL eons ago  since he was on the tech side of things.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Just had a evil thought. Another thread there was discussion of "voids" in SL --- Maybe Linden Lab could sell those voids to anyone for a good chunk of change and use the revenue to pay AWS to activate them into a navigational waterway

or Linden could make easement regions, where half the region is a public-right-of-way and the other half is one parcel which can't be subdivided (but can be sold as one parcel). Standard tier rates to apply

There's a boom right now of random cryptocurrencies and virtual worlds that is going to end with a fizzle. 

The whole virtual goods thing is fascinating to watch though.  You can buy more than land. You can also buy, bet on, and breed virtual racehorses: https://zed.run/

This isn't an endorsement, though I think virtual horses you can race with are more fun than virtual land you can't yet use. 

Edited by Bitterthorn
  • Like 1

It's crazy, isn't it? 12 years ago people were laughing, "Pfft, people in Second Life pay RL money to dress their pixel dolls...how sad!" And now people are paying $650k for a sandbox :S And Decentraland makes Freebie Galaxy look classy xD

1 hour ago, Bitterthorn said:

The whole virtual goods thing is fascinating to watch though.  You can buy more than land. You can also buy, bet on, and breed virtual racehorses: https://zed.run/

That looks more fun!

I think people underestimate just how much stuff seriously rich people will blow their money on...the original Doge meme picture just sold for US$4 million 😮

https://www.republicworld.com/technology-news/other-tech-news/doge-becomes-the-most-expensive-meme-nft-as-it-sells-for-a-whopping-4-dollars-million.html

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1036 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.