Slow loading inventory, Object folder out of control

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1001 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am trying to solve my slow loading inventory, that's a crawl now. Does this help on slow inventory too:  https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/login_fail_without_cache_clear

Several times a year, I make an effort to remove demos, unpacker scripts, notecards and landmarks. It can be a few hundred to a couple thousand items every time. But my inventory keep building up, and is over 100 000 now.

One of my largest folders is my Received Items, it shows I have 9400 in there. But it is in small single folders, subfolders.

My Object folder is 11 000. It is some subfolders in there, but not so many. One folder is 1400, the others small. Every time I buy something that is delivered in the Object folder, I leave the original in Objects in case I need to unpack again.

I removed several thousand objects from 2007-2010. But I am afraid to remove a "heirloom" object.

The Objects folder is such a large challenge. How can I get fix it? Is it enough to make subfolders for 2020, 2019, 2018 et cetera, and put the objects I received in the years there? Will this change help my inventory to load faster?

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Is it enough to make subfolders for 2020, 2019, 2018 et cetera, and put the objects I received in the years there? Will this change help my inventory to load faster?

Not sure it actually helps but that's what I do too, and then migrate those "archival" folders outside the regular system Object folder. (That migration step may be superstitious, I don't know.)

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Several times a year, I make an effort to remove demos, unpacker scripts, notecards and landmarks.

I tend to keep notecards (depending on their origin) and usually delete landmarks immediately because by the time I try to use them again they just waste time finding out they're out of date.

Somewhere I learned, when I buy new clothes, to only keep a folder with the packaging object and the version fitted to my body (and any customizations referenced by outfits).

I tend to empty trash frequently, and try to keep Lost & Found empty too, lest I lose track of what's gotten in there.

Interested to hear what others do with Received Items. I avoid buying on Marketplace, but I'm still curious if there are smart approaches to managing that stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Not sure it actually helps but that's what I do too, and then migrate those "archival" folders outside the regular system Object folder. (That migration step may be superstitious, I don't know.)

Do you know if it is better to manage an inventory with the main bulk in the system folders instead of creating new folders that go under these? If I move the older years out of the Object folder, there will be more folders.

I tend to keep notecards (depending on their origin) and usually delete landmarks immediately because by the time I try to use them again they just waste time finding out they're out of date.

It is incredible how many notecards that's only "thank you for buying my stuff"! 😣

Somewhere I learned, when I buy new clothes, to only keep a folder with the packaging object and the version fitted to my body (and any customizations referenced by outfits).

I deleted lots of those earlier. I used search words like both Belleza and Freya, since creators sometimes name only Freya and sometimes Belleza, all bodies. But my inventory did not load faster.

I tend to empty trash frequently, and try to keep Lost & Found empty too, lest I lose track of what's gotten in there.

Me too.

Interested to hear what others do with Received Items. I avoid buying on Marketplace, but I'm still curious if there are smart approaches to managing that stuff.

I am terrible sloppy when I unpack. I know I should be better. I managed to make an Apple Fall folder with lots of subfolders containing unpacked items, and a subfolder with only boxes. And deleting every darn landmark. I still have loads of things I should do this with.

The reply is underlined.

But when I logged in with Firestorm, I saw something on the screen: "Do you have a bigger inventory? Firestorm do now count folders." Yes in fact, my inventory appear to have grown several thousand in number. I have worked for days to try deleting items and getting it under 100 000. And it loads slow like hell.

I am sure I read somewhere about keeping your RECEIVED folder clear?

I made a "fake" Received folder for that purpose (outside of system folders - which I always have on top).

-- IF I GOT THAT WRONG, PLEASE CORRECT ME --

My current inventory is 80k and no issues loading at all.

It would be worth the experiment I think!

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Do you know if it is better to manage an inventory with the main bulk in the system folders instead of creating new folders that go under these? If I move the older years out of the Object folder, there will be more folders.

I really don't know. To be honest, I never really notice a huge slowdown due to Inventory loading, although my Inventory-impoverished alts do seem to login a bit faster. So basically I don't know that I'm doing anything that's not pure superstition.

That said, I avoid really organizing Inventory. I make those date-range folders only because it's easy to sort by date, so it's an almost automatic way of avoiding huge flat folders which I've heard is the worst risk. I try not to have too many top-level folders or items, but that's just to make it easier to scroll; I have no idea if it actually matters, sorry.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Emma Krokus said:

I am sure I read somewhere about keeping your RECEIVED folder clear?

I made a "fake" Received folder for that purpose (outside of system folders - which I always have on top).

-- IF I GOT THAT WRONG, PLEASE CORRECT ME --

My current inventory is 80k and no issues loading at all.

It would be worth the experiment I think!

I will wait and see if someone knows. :)

4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I am trying to solve my slow loading inventory, that's a crawl now. Does this help on slow inventory too:  https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/login_fail_without_cache_clear

Several times a year, I make an effort to remove demos, unpacker scripts, notecards and landmarks. It can be a few hundred to a couple thousand items every time. But my inventory keep building up, and is over 100 000 now.

One of my largest folders is my Received Items, it shows I have 9400 in there. But it is in small single folders, subfolders.

My Object folder is 11 000. It is some subfolders in there, but not so many. One folder is 1400, the others small. Every time I buy something that is delivered in the Object folder, I leave the original in Objects in case I need to unpack again.

I removed several thousand objects from 2007-2010. But I am afraid to remove a "heirloom" object.

The Objects folder is such a large challenge. How can I get fix it? Is it enough to make subfolders for 2020, 2019, 2018 et cetera, and put the objects I received in the years there? Will this change help my inventory to load faster?

I don't have an answer, only my personal experience.  I have 160,000 items in a totally unorganized inventory.  When I log in, my inventory is completely loaded except for the rare occasions when it hasn't loaded almost anything (usually only 20,000 items).  Clearing inventory cache is the only thing I've tried that fixes this.  Once it has loaded completely, I relog and it's fine.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I don't have an answer, only my personal experience.  I have 160,000 items in a totally unorganized inventory.  When I log in, my inventory is completely loaded except for the rare occasions when it hasn't loaded almost anything (usually only 20,000 items).  Clearing inventory cache is the only thing I've tried that fixes this.  Once it has loaded completely, I relog and it's fine.  

I cleared inventory cache now, but haven't logged in yet. The inventory load so slow, let me tell you: I was shopping the weekend sale and many stores have the same offer with a few months in between. I use to type in the name of what I want to buy in my inventory to see if I already had it. I had to wait and wait. At the Zerkalo store, I waited so long that I bought it. And after that, both showed up. I had bought the bench before, and not unpacked it.

What I bought "recent" load as slow. You should think that popped up fast. And it used to do so.

I did not have problems a month ago. Loading speed was nothing compared to now. Maybe the weekend sales brought my inventory to a crawl.

I have the latest Firestorm viewer installed.

@Marianne LittleI read you have 9400 items in your received items folder.  My first question would be WHY?  It will most assuredly not assist.  The Received items folder is simply a "holding space" for things you receive from Marketplace and you should move a received item immediately from there and put it in an appropriate folder elsewhere in your inventory.

Creating custom folders additional to the system folders has no noticeable impact but any single folder with a large number of items will slow down loading.

As an aside have you "whitelisted" your inventory cache as part of the general whitelisting of your viewer?  I did and it helped.  The Firestorm wiki has a lot of information on whitelisting in AVs and if you are not familiar with it I suggest you read it at your earliest convenience.

Edited by Aishagain
spelling correction
  • Like 2

I'm currently cleaning out my inventory. Yours is gigantic compared to my 38k. My load time isn't bad but at times it can be. I too am unsure why.

I only own 2 mesh bodies so I've started to delete all the extra outfits for other bodies I don't have and will never have, keeping just the ones I need. That goes for shoes as well. 

Don't get me started on makeup and jewellery. I mean how many shades of red does a girl need?  Lots! Lol

All landmarks, unnecessary scripts and the stupid amounts of NOTECARDS get deleted. 

My object folder was shocking so I started there. If it didn't say no copy it was sent to trash if I already had a copy of it. 

I have subfolders for everything. Maybe that could be a issue? Maybe, maybe not. 

Have you emptied your trash lately? Its amazing how many things are in that folder.

9 hours ago, Aishagain said:

@Marianne LittleI read you have 9400 items in your received items folder.  My first question would be WHY?  It will most assuredly not assist.  The Received items folder is simply a "holding space" for things you receive from Marketplace and you should move a received item immediately from there and put it in an appropriate folder elsewhere in your inventory.

Creating custom folders additional to the system folders has no noticeable impact but any single folder with a large number of items will slow down loading.

As an aside have you "whitelisted" your inventory cache as part of the general whitelisting of your viewer?  I did and it helped.  The Firestorm wiki has a lot of information on whitelisting in AVs and if you are not familiar with it I suggest you read it at your earliest convenience.

Why? It is out of laziness. When I add a box I got in the Received items and unpack it, I should have moved the box out of recieved items and moved it to a folder for backup/boxed inventory. I know that, it has just not been done. And it worked so fine to just let them be.....😪

I know I'm lazy, ugh. At least 2-3 times a year, I try to start my new and better organized inventory. I try, but fall back to old bad habits.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ananoelle said:

I'm currently cleaning out my inventory. Yours is gigantic compared to my 38k. My load time isn't bad but at times it can be. I too am unsure why.

I only own 2 mesh bodies so I've started to delete all the extra outfits for other bodies I don't have and will never have, keeping just the ones I need. That goes for shoes as well. 

Don't get me started on makeup and jewellery. I mean how many shades of red does a girl need?  Lots! Lol

All landmarks, unnecessary scripts and the stupid amounts of NOTECARDS get deleted. 

My object folder was shocking so I started there. If it didn't say no copy it was sent to trash if I already had a copy of it. 

I have subfolders for everything. Maybe that could be a issue? Maybe, maybe not. 

Have you emptied your trash lately? Its amazing how many things are in that folder.

Oh, if I did not clear out many thousand things every year, I would have 250 000 now, I bet. I have heard about people who has so big inventories. 😵

Some days ago I typed in the name of bodies I don't use and deleted all I found. I have Slink and Belleza, but will not use them anymore. The notecards, scripts and landmarks are purged, I am actually good at that. And I remember to delete demos now, not wait. I cleared hundereds of demos from my Received folder, because I had ordered them from the marketplace. Hmmm... this dress looks interesting... buy demo. Repeat 10 times, log in and do other things. I found out that if I don't try the demo when I log in, it could not have been that interesting.

• Like 1

I think the basic idea of folders-by-year is the least you can do. I prefer to have these as subfolders of a non-system folder. I doubt it's a good idea to let Received, Objects, and Textures to just keep growing, even with subfolders.

Since mesh clothes are so tied to particular mesh bodies, it makes sense to me to organise by the mesh body. Body-type -> Clothing -> Folder for delivery box.

I also run my own Outfits folder. It may have changed, but for a long time the Lindens insisted on a very flat file structure, every Outfit a sub-folder of the Outfits  folder. Again, the mesh body type is useful for the tree structure.

To some extent, how you organise your folders depends on how your brain works. Folders-by-year can be awkwardly large. I use the same short prefix for all my alternative-system folders so they sort into a short block

And if you're using a TPV you may have some options you don't get with the standard LL viewer. Check your right-click options. You may not have noticed something. I know I can put a weapon and relevant combat-hud into a folder I can easily add and remove. So the core-outfit is "safe" (no weapon in-hand, visible or invisible), but I can easily switch to a combat/RP mode.

May be I can clear up some of the thinking on inventory.

First, consider what your inventory is. It is a list of item names and UUIDs. I haven't looked at the viewer code for the inventory but I suspect the entries are 128 to 256 bytes per entry. So, an inventory of 100k items would be a list size of about 25+/-MB. Not particularly large.

We know that viewers start to have a time-out problem with flat inventories. Depending on your connection speed and quality you'll see problems starting around 5,000 items per single folder. That folder takes to long to download and you get an error and cannot login. The Lab provided SL Support a tool to rearrange users' inventories when they run into this problem. They sort of had to because when you hit this problem you likely cannot log in so you can't fit it.

Avoid the problem by making sure you have lots of folders and sub-folders.

With my objects folder I archive items in to years... Objects->2019, Objects->2020, and etc. I try to keep any folder to <2,000 items.

Otherwise there is no limit on SL Inventory. Which makes sense as Linden Lab's income is based on a large part on products sold and stored  in your inventory.

Edited by Nalates Urriah

My inventory is around 155,000 right now.  I do lots of sub-folders in sub-folders and almost none of my stuff is in system folders.  My login does take a bit of time, but it isn't horrid.  I clocked it once a while back but don't now remember what the time was.

I do vaguely remember reading somewhere about trying to keep the Received items folder small or close to empty - though I cannot remember at all why.  Maybe create your own Received location and move stuff there out of the regular Received.  Then relog and see if it makes any difference.

On 7/26/2021 at 9:56 AM, Marianne Little said:

This is your problem. The issue with inventory is not overall size, it's the largest flat folder. 

The way I manage my Received Items is to move them once unpacked into a "Boxed Storage" subfolder under Objects. This folder is itself subdivided into Home & Garden, Clothes, Shoes, Hair, Body etc.  Most of the time my Received Items folder is empty.

I have a friend who literally puts everything he buys under "Inventory". He doesn't sort anything. His inventory is about 120k and he is constantly complaining how bad "SL teleporting" is. I have tried explaining that his inventory is causing it, but he won't listen. I've given up.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1001 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.