EWWW THAT'S SO GROSS !

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 970 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I'll give you that point (at least in part because I have never cared much for cake).  There's a lot of variety in what people call fruitcake. My sister's might be better called a soda bread with a load of dried fruit and nuts in it.  It's not one of those hefty, sugary things that are hard to slice and sticky to handle.  It has the texture of a sturdy pound cake, a bit on the dry side -- best eaten with a little butter, the way you might eat a buttered scone with your tea.  Not a cake.

There's a soda bread/porter cake hybrid sold at Milwaukee's Irishfest that's made with Guinness Stout. It's fabulous!

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Eddy Vortex said:

I never understood the hate for fruitcake.  You give me any cake, I'll eat it.

Panettone and stollen? Especially the marzipan filled stollen, heck yeah.

Christmas fruitcakes are a long running joke in the US. In this case, by long running I mean since the 1920s. OMG... it's been a hundred years now! 😮🤫

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/how-did-the-fruitcake-become-a-national-joke-and-can-it-be-redeemed

My husband does a version of fruitcake for Christmas.  It has pecans, dates and fresh apples.  It's not the traditional fruit cake with those mysterious colored fruits.  It's actually pretty good for being called a fruitcake.  It's definitely not the kind that would last for years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

My husband does a version of fruitcake for Christmas.  It has pecans, dates and fresh apples.  It's not the traditional fruit cake with those mysterious colored fruits.  It's actually pretty good for being called a fruitcake.  It's definitely not the kind that would last for years.

The ones that last for years are the ones that are made the most fun of. 

Flying brick, indeed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eddy Vortex said:

Especially the marzipan filled stollen, heck yeah.

:P

If any Americans come to the UK, do NOT eat the fried chicken...you will be so disappointed...

UK fried chicken is awful 🤢 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I think you and I have been lucky, Eddy.  I only get one fruitcake a year and it's from my sister, and it's delicious.  I get the impression that some people get multiple fruitcakes and them some of those fruitcakes are ghastly mass-produced things that Amazon.com stores on a warehouse shelf for two years.  What's worse, I understand that some people are in the habit of re-gifting last year's unwanted fruitcakes.  If all of that is true, it's no wonder that "fruitcake" gets such a bad reputation.

My sister's fruitcake, BTW, is made from a family recipe handed down for the past 200 years and known as "The Dutch Cake", in honor of our ancestors who came to the Antilles from the Netherlands in the 1820s or thereabouts.  It is a true heirloom, savored lovingly each year.

Ah. I've heard of people re-gifting presents, but not food. The store-brought versions must be massive chemical bombs for them to last multiple years.

Your sister's fruitcake sounds lovely.  Homemade is always best.

35 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

If any Americans come to the UK, do NOT eat the fried chicken...you will be so disappointed...

I was in London in January 2020. I guess I got lucky in missing the fried chicken. I did have a couple of Indian food dishes there and was disappointed that the curries didn't have fire. But the Thai food by the hotel I was staying at was much more flavorful than the ones I had back home.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

When I was little, if Dad found a spider lurking in the range hood on chili night, he'd sweep it into the pot with considerable fanfare. I've continued the tradition, foraging as far as the kitchen window to find one.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/04/health/insect-rodent-filth-in-food-wellness/index.html

Shrimp and lobster? We're in agreement.

That's some bad news for vegans.

27 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

You haven't been to my home.

Does it involve gummy worm pizza?

7 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

I did have a couple of Indian food dishes there and was disappointed that the curries didn't have fire.

You didn't go to the right Indian restaurant.  I had a curry in Soho in 1983 that I can still taste.  It managed to be deathly hot and subtlely sweet at the same time.  A marvelous dinner.

Edited by Rolig Loon
Wrong year. Still great curry.
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

I did have a couple of Indian food dishes there and was disappointed that the curries didn't have fire. 

Oh! You definitely went to bad places! :( There are some amazing ones...my favourite is Agra, where the Bollywood star Asha Bhosle used to eat...you can alter the heat to suit your taste, but they will crank it up if you want 🔥🔥

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:
8 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

You didn't go to the right Indian restaurant.  I had a curry in Soho in 1987 that I can still taste.  It managed to be deathly hot and subtlely sweet at the same time.  A marvelous dinner.

I'm working my way through this book...

https://www.abebooks.com/660-Curries-Iyer-Raghavan-Workman-Publishing/30949548745/bd?cm_mmc=ggl-_-US_Shopp_Trade-_-product_id=COM9780761137870USED-_-keyword=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1tya66nS8QIVATI4Ch3_SAN9EAQYASABEgLsGvD_BwE

It's out of print, but there are others like it.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Oh, great, Maddy.  Get me all hungry and then.... 

3ec970e50e799e037c6c3c5d4478ab5d.png

https://www.amazon.com/500-Curries-Mridula-Baljekar/dp/0754820734

I had a long chat with the proprietor of an Indian grocery, where I went for some garam masala. He asked "what kind?". I wasn't aware there were kinds. He explained that garam masala and curry powder are to India as chili powder is to Texas. There are many different varieties, favored for heat, sweetness, savoriness, etc. Some are local blends that simply bring back memories of home towns in India.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

You didn't go to the right Indian restaurant.  I had a curry in Soho in 1983 that I can still taste.  It managed to be deathly hot and subtlely sweet at the same time.  A marvelous dinner.

19 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Oh! You definitely went to bad places! :( There are some amazing ones...my favourite is Agra, where the Bollywood star Asha Bhosle used to eat...you can alter the heat to suit your taste, but they will crank it up if you want 🔥🔥

Yep, that's what I thought. I must've had bad luck in picking Indian places. The chicken tiki masala I ate in Shoreditch tasted like unflavored tomato sauce, and the lamb briyani I had in King's Cross failed in kicking me in the pants in terms of spice level.

Edited by Eddy Vortex
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Eddy Vortex said:

Yep, that's what I thought. The chicken tiki masala I ate in Shoreditch tasted like unflavored tomato sauce, and the lamb briyani I had in King's Cross failed in kicking me in the pants in terms of spice level.

:( 

But if you do return...! I would definitely say Agra, round the corner from Warren St tube, Aladin in Brick Lane (AMAZING! ignore the cheesy name, this place is BOSS :P) and maybe Mill Hill Tandoori, but that is quite a trek up the Northern Line and maybe too much hassle if you're based in the centre. Oh God, I miss Agra so much 😹

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

:( 

But if you do return...! I would definitely say Agra, round the corner from Warren St tube, Aladin in Brick Lane (AMAZING! ignore the cheesy name, this place is BOSS :P) and maybe Mill Hill Tandoori, but that is quite a trek up the Northern Line and maybe too much hassle if you're based in the centre. Oh God, I miss Agra so much 😹

I'll definitely look them up after the travel ban is lifted.

3 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

My husband told me nothing was editable in the UK except stuff cooked by non-Brits.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 970 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.