Different. World

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1056 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Just weighing in again... (oops, ellipsises!)

Anyone who's read more than a handful of my posts knows very well that I don't insist on grammatically correct English and often use slang or idiom myself.

It's all about communication, and whatever gets that done is OK with me.

But yes, I do correct grammatical errors from time to time...again, in the interests of improving communication. I'm a teacher, and for me, class is always in session.

My posts here have been deliberately phrased in a snooty, schoolmarm tone as a gentle attempt at humor, poking a little fun at the overly strident posts by a few others, and at my own tendency to teach at the drop of a semicolon. Obviously, not everyone got that.

Subtle humor, irony and sarcasm are among the most difficult parts on forums in general and especially when in a foreign language.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, TrophySpouse said:

This.

A second laugh emoji is long overdue.  The regular laugh that adds reputation points can be left as is, and the other scorn laugh would not add points like the sad or confused emojis. Let's petition the Lindens for it.

Is there some kind of a bonus when you collect enough reputation points, like an extra patch of land in SL or a discount on the premium fee?

I see these buttons only as a way to communicate without having to write an extra post about it.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Cor blimey, what a load of old cobblers. You will if you use yer loaf. If nothing else, have a butcher's online, or even coat and badge a brown bread tree dictionary from a china plate and it'll all be there. 

Any old iron, any old iron, any any any old iron...

Makes as much sense as.. you know! Thanks for the examples!!

On 5/30/2021 at 7:55 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Thus, the previous two usages of "remmy" really are just laziness or someone thinking it is "cool" to talk that way.

Or maybe it was a test run by Vulcans to find out if we'd get it, and the diligent/uncool one was to not make it too difficult ... although, somehow, I have the feeling that every single person here got it, and would also have without that last usage, never mind if native speaker or not; aren't humans' brains wonderful things (sometimes).

Wow, really. But I watched a fun video, and learned stuff ... about ... ellipses and such. A shame though that I'm on my phone and can't apply the ellipses space saving tidbit - but I've memorized it for future use! 

On 5/31/2021 at 6:48 AM, Sid Nagy said:

Subtle humor, irony and sarcasm are among the most difficult parts on forums in general and especially when in a foreign language.

IKNOWRITE? Oops I meant IKR? It's far too easy to assume someone is always being sarcastic.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2021 at 6:48 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

Focus - Hocus Pocus

I remmy that song. Beautiful yodels by Thijs van Leer en Jan Akkerman, majestically rolling off the Dutch highlands of the Utrechtse Heuvelrug (don't try to pronounce that at home, folks).

[Update] Anyone remmy this one?

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
remmy remmy remmy remmy
  • Like 1

The Dutch highlands .... yeah right, especially the Utrechtse heuvelrug,
There are moles who push up higher bulbs of dirt than that.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/30/2021 at 7:40 PM, Rolig Loon said:

The Favorite Quotes thread suddenly made me think of one that I saw posted on an office door years ago:

"Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and it annoys the pig."

I wouldn't dare to attach that quote to any particular post in this thread -- it's much too offensive --  but the message seems to fit here somewhere. 🙄

In a similar vein, recently I was reading Thinking: Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman, and was struck by his observation

“Nothing in life is as important as you think it is, while you are thinking about it”

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

In a similar vein, recently I was reading Thinking: Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman, and was struck by his observation

I think about life. Does this mean life isn't important? 🤭

Sorry. The quote doesn't really make sense to me as it seems to be contradicting itself. What am I missing?

8 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Sorry. The quote doesn't really make sense to me as it seems to be contradicting itself. What am I missing?

Whatever it is that you're thinking about, and it may well be very important indeed, most of the time it's not so important to you that it commands much, if any, of your attention.

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I think you are focusing on the wrong end of the sentence.  Kahnemann's observation means that the act of tightening our thoughts on one idea temporarily makes that idea more important to us than anything else.  We close our minds to thoughts that might distract us, so that we can follow that one idea efficiently. Our mind makes that single thought the center of its universe -- much more important than it would normally be.  Basically, he's saying what a lot of mind-brain science has concluded: we can't truly multitask. Our brain flips its focus from one thought to another, making each one most important for a while.  The implication is that we have a natural tendency to overexaggerate how important things are -- while we are thinking about them.

And Quartz ^^  just said that much more simply while I was typing.  🙃

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

What if it is that you're thinking about, and it may well be very important indeed, most of the time it's not so important to you that it commands much, if any, of your attention.

If that guy had my brain, he'd know better. lol

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1056 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.