Different. World

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1056 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

You apparently have no clue how much more effort it takes to write in a language other than your native tongue.
Nobody is special because he/she knows the spelling and grammar of their own language.

People who take the time to communicate with you in a for them foreign language, should get respect for the effort, how crappy the result may be, and no shame and blame because of the not totally perfect translations.
In fact everybody should get that respect even native speakers. This is an international forum, not an English class.

I do have that clue, sir, and I have great respect for those who are, however partially, multilingual. Nor do I "blame and shame" any such attempts; rather, I teach, by courteously correcting mistakes. Laziness, however, deserves exactly the scorn that Drayke provided.

"Remmy", indeed.

As for your final sentence: "English class" may be in session at any time and any place the language is employed.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I do have that clue, sir, and I have great respect for those who are, however partially, multilingual. Nor do I "blame and shame" any such attempts; rather, I teach, by courteously correcting mistakes. Laziness, however, deserves exactly the scorn that Drayke provided.

"Remmy", indeed.

As for your final sentence: "English class" may be in session at any time and any place the language is employed.

It really depends on my mood whether the manner in which someone else is speaking bothers me. In a good mood grammatical errors just bounce right off me and I hardly give them a notice while paying attention to what the speaker is attempting to convey. When in a bad mood however the way in which someone speaks more easily bothers me and I can feel critical of someone not using English correctly. I seldom criticize out loud though.

I don't correct them because I think it's rude. I'd no more tell someone they weren't speaking correctly than I'd tell them they weren't dressed properly, or that what they were saying seemed trite and boring. I'm trying to imagine being in a restaurant with friends and correcting their manner of speaking, informing them they're using a word in the wrong way or whatever.  How bizarre would that be.

Basically we are all just speaking to each other here. I don't mind at all if someone speaks in a more 'stream of consciousness' way as the OP did. I can't agree with your notion that this is an English class -- perhaps you should get permission first to see if someone you decide to heap scorn on wants to attend your class?

• Thanks 1

On 5/29/2021 at 4:33 AM, Adec Alexandria said:

Does anyone remmy a track ... about 10 years ago or more ... filmed in SL ... it was called a Different World .. the DJ was Mark .... 

Sadly I can't remmy his last name .. either real or SL ... yet we used to be close friends ... strange I know ... I was just looking for the tune on YouTube .. and couldn't narrow the search down enough!

It was almost like the first real track that was videoed in SL ... I remember it getting some press for that reason ... but yeah was prob 15 years ago ... any clues hit me up!

Sorry, don't remmy, grok, pop, intuit, glean..

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Has anyone thought that people that may not use correct grammar or type like an English Professor might have a reason other than laziness? Maybe they have a traumatic brain injury or they are dyslectic.  Perhaps they weren't given the luxury of an education that taught them how to construct a sentence or use proper grammar.  

I see all over these forums about how you shouldn't be racist and accept how people want to play their second life and how this is discriminating and that is insensitive, yet many people in this post feel it necessary to make fun of someone who isn't just like them over GRAMMAR?!  A new poster that, God forbid, just came here asking for information.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

The guy just wanted to find a video/tune, not come back to 3 pages of relentless bullying from "adults" whos eyes twich over spelling errors. Wild 😂

lol gotta love the SL Forum   :)

I might buy all of these various reasons that people are throwing out except the the OP managed to type the full word correctly spelled at the end of his post.

On 5/29/2021 at 2:33 AM, Adec Alexandria said:

I remember it getting some press for that reason

Thus, the previous two usages of "remmy" really are just laziness or someone thinking it is "cool" to talk that way.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I might buy all of these various reasons that people are throwing out except the the OP managed to type the full word correctly spelled at the end of his post.

Thus, the previous two usages of "remmy" really are just laziness or someone thinking it is "cool" to talk that way.

Who cares? Move on. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Maybe they do think it's cool to talk that way. Who are you to say it's not?? Why feel the need to even mention it? It's a form of bullying. This whole thread is...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Has anyone thought that people that may not use correct grammar or type like an English Professor might have a reason other than laziness? Maybe they have a traumatic brain injury or they are dyslectic.  Perhaps they weren't given the luxury of an education that taught them how to construct a sentence or use proper grammar.  

I see all over these forums about how you shouldn't be racist and accept how people want to play their second life and how this is discriminating and that is insensitive, yet many people in this post feel it necessary to make fun of someone who isn't just like them over GRAMMAR?!  A new poster that, God forbid, just came here asking for information.

Yes?

4 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Maybe they do think it's cool to talk that way. Who are you to say it's not?? Why feel the need to even mention it? It's a form of bullying. This whole thread is...

I think we should use "Cockney rhyming slang", too bad most of us won't understand it..

Do you not understand that most of us never heard, read, or know the term "remmy" as the OP used it? Throw around random slang, that's unfamiliar, and surprise, surprise..people will make fun of you for it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think we should use "Cockney rhyming slang", too bad most of us won't understand it..

Do you not understand that most of us never heard, read, or know the term "remmy" as the OP used it? Throw around random slang, that's unfamiliar, and surprise, surprise..people will make fun of you for it!

Cyberbullying is bullying that takes place over digital devices like cell phones, computers, and tablets. Cyberbullying includes sending, posting, or sharing negative, harmful, false, or mean content about someone else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Cyberbullying is bullying that takes place over digital devices like cell phones, computers, and tablets. Cyberbullying includes sending, posting, or sharing negative, harmful, false, or mean content about someone else.

And using the scorn laugh on every one of someone's post is just as bad.  Right?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Not to people who have posted something serious.  Something I think is eye rolling, yes.  Something genuinely funny, yes.  Stuff someone says just to be contrary, sure.  Check my postings history.

I'll use confused more than scorn laugh.  

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1056 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.