A little rental land advice

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1249 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For 3 years I rented land in a sim that is 1L per prim, I have moved so many times, the fact is all these 1L a prim places allow breedable pet farms to move in and it lags the sim to a point it looks like pages of a book being turned for my FPS or noob towers,  or my fav the person that builds a  huge box around their land they texture on the inside but leave it default yellow wood for every one outside the box to look at. I finally said F it and bought a sim from LL, I only need a small parcel for my needs and hope to do some rentals. My sales can support the sim  but I just hate having more then I needs I'm a minimalist in RL and SL, I believe should not use more then you need. I tried splitting the sim into parcels and put large rock walls as dividers, built a website. I just hate the rock wall separating the land part, place I rent all do this and seem to keep renters flowing in and out. The fact that renting is not going to make or break me I and rethinking the walls and lay out and wanted to make it a rental sim I like the look of, the walls are just driving me crazy now it is done. If any one would like to put in their 2 cents on rental sim lay outs it would help.

Edited by TheDarkhand

Since renting will neither make nor break you, you could turn the whole sim into open parkland with features such as water and rocks, and put a few rental houses around. In other words, make the whole sim attractive to spend time in, rather than  cutting into into enclosed parcels.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Since renting will neither make nor break you, you could turn the whole sim into open parkland with features such as water and rocks, and put a few rental houses around. In other words, make the whole sim attractive to spend time in, rather than  cutting into into enclosed parcels.

And above the open parkland spaces you could place some sky boxes high op in the sky.
There are tons of people who prefer that.

And I would divide the land (using the building tools) with the rental houses, so each house has it's own parcel, so that the people can have more privacy in their house with the right land settings.
Houses are not only there in SL to make social calls or dinner. :)

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

Instead of making rock walls you could separate flat land with mountains and forests. Since these would cover more area than walls you could place skyboxes high in the sky over these mountains and forests. Maybe you could add a common area for all the residents to relax at. I've never had a sim so I don't know if doing these things are possible. 

The company I rented from for years always used terraformed mountains as parcel dividers.  Usually these were green spaces, not beachy so adding some trees myself always gave it a secret forest look.  The company was also strict on the breedables.  They had specific regions for those people.  Their beach themes were generally separated by water between each parcel.  I was never in one of their regions where anyone put up ugly walls as you've encountered.  I guess I've been lucky to have found a great company to rent from.

9 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I totally agree that separating parcels with rock walls is ugly. Privacy can be achieved without them, by simply using the parcel privacy tools.

Before I sold it --- I had a club on a island sim (Quartz) and the owner put these butt ugly rock walls to divide the parcels. A few times I returned her rock walls when she place one between me and a neighbour who visited my club and then after the events go to her house to chill.

Edited by Kimmi Zehetbauer
Memory?

Wow thedarkhand, I feel you. Neighbors putting up ugly, and frankly disrespectful *****, is a big reason why I rent rather than own mainland. I love to explore the SL land auctions, and check out a lot of places... but they inevitably have neighbors with huge walls, military installations, billboards or advertising signs, shops, neon property / ban lines, or skyboxes floating 50 feet off the ground. Covenants when you rent may seem like a PITA, but they prevent all that. Ahhh. I rent a quarter island sim, and it's sooo nice to know that it will always look like an island sim.

The L$1 per LI is a great price! I've moved several times in order to find spots with a better L$ to LI ratio, because I love to landscape with palm trees, plumeria, bamboo, banyons, and monkeypods. It's easy to run out of LI 🙂 Here's what we put together to keep things under 1245 LI. http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Mokolea Cove/110/67/22

I found the perfect little plot the other day .. It was in a quiet place, with most of the parcel in water, in a small lake connected to the sailable seas that meant you could go practically anywhere from it - 1024 sqm, it cost L$500 - a steal, and perfect for a small home location using the premium tier.

.. Except the parcel was boxed in, and all of the neighbouring parcels had ban lines, so you couldn't actually go anywhere. :|

• Haha 1

I don't allow walls, 2D hedges, photo-real boards etc -- they all look terrible.

Put some 3D trees or hedges along the parcel borders. They need not be dense. You are trying to just create a certain sense of division. Privacy does not come from walls and fences. You uncheck "avatars can see me" and you are invisible. Doesn't get more private than that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One of the big reasons that people like to have "privacy walls" is not because they want privacy on their own parcel but because they don't want to see what is on their neighbour's parcels.

Natural landscaping features can help obscure the view between parcels. 

Keeping a covenant to prevent "ugly" or out of theme builds at ground level will help, as will teaching your tenants how to use de-render. 

On 4/26/2021 at 11:18 AM, TheDarkhand said:

great advice, I keep working on it.

I would say you should "vet" your tenants. People who come in from nowhere and click a rental box can feel entitled to slam up their walls, and then you have to return them and have unpleasant discussions, before they leave in a huff.

You should also have it in the covenant, of course. It is great to have access to land tools, but not use it to make a steep landscape wall "because it looks like a mountain and it is not a wall". I would love to have terraform right to fit in a pool or make a soft slope for a stream. I miss that where I rent now, and also in the Linden Homes. Everything has to be on ground.

Write a post in the land section of the forums. We are many who hate those walls, you need to find us and we need to find you. Ask upfront, what our style is and we can't do the walls, and have to follow some ground rules, make it clear that you and tenants agree.

You are so lucky, that you can finance the land yourself and can take time to build a small paradise where people can live in peace. Like-minded people.

People like to spend time on putting stuff in the garden would prefer to use their own houses and landscaping, and not have the parcel itself filled with trees and landscaping they have to return. Here you could have rules too, for height and style. 

Edited by Marianne Little

Most landlords start with very good resolutions in their covenants.
But monitor the rules and enforce them is chapter two.
Especially if they are only a small percentage above their break even line.

Almost always you read about no ban lines, no eyesores, no building up to the parcel borders and lots of other blabla.
And if you fly around a bit on the sim, nothing is really enforced, afraid someone might take their business elsewhere.

If they only knew how many don't rent with them (like me) because of not enforcing their o so lovely covenants.

I have had the opportunity to buy or WIN land in an auction and several other I paid top dollar for the land around it...a nice place on the Blake Sea in LIONEL....I made it a QUIET COVE with my store in the air with cheap RENTALS for New Residents. I did learn however that my monthly responsibility to Linden Labs went up tremendously because now i own more SQM and it put me into the Full Sim range and I pay $67 USD per month...I am a Premium Member..so what I don't understand ...is that in ADDITION to my MEMEBERSHIP which is paid quarterly. When I put a ticket in, the Linden who answered me, didn't understand what i was asking...I had several charges on my bank account that added up to like 300 USD...  as I have learned it has something to do with the VAT taxing structure...still not quite sure.   My bank alerted me for fraud on the account. I have yet to get answers and the ticket appears closed.  So be cautious, just because you dont PAY WEEKLY, your TIER will go up MONTHLY TO LINDEN if you ADD SQM to your account....SMILES....LOOOVEEE SECONDLIFE!

TilliaChargesUNKNOWN.jpg

https://secondlife.com/land/pricing.php

1 hour ago, Ninatchka Markova said:

I have had the opportunity to buy or WIN land in an auction and several other I paid top dollar for the land around it...a nice place on the Blake Sea in LIONEL....I made it a QUIET COVE with my store in the air with cheap RENTALS for New Residents. I did learn however that my monthly responsibility to Linden Labs went up tremendously because now i own more SQM and it put me into the Full Sim range and I pay $67 USD per month...I am a Premium Member..so what I don't understand ...is that in ADDITION to my MEMEBERSHIP which is paid quarterly. When I put a ticket in, the Linden who answered me, didn't understand what i was asking...I had several charges on my bank account that added up to like 300 USD...  as I have learned it has something to do with the VAT taxing structure...still not quite sure.   My bank alerted me for fraud on the account. I have yet to get answers and the ticket appears closed.  So be cautious, just because you dont PAY WEEKLY, your TIER will go up MONTHLY TO LINDEN if you ADD SQM to your account....SMILES....LOOOVEEE SECONDLIFE!

TilliaChargesUNKNOWN.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1249 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.