New SecondLife.com homepage

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1140 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 minutes ago, Finite said:

Hmm did I say they weren't photoshopped? The models and photos were taking within SL. SL can produce reflections. You just need to reverse and flip the object which gives it the appearance of a reflection. This can be done in game or in photoshop. Whatever your flavor is. Grats on your 3090ti but apparently my 2080super can produce better than what yours can. So sorry if I have doubts you have a 3090ti.

HAHA. Yes of course! Flip a scene and have it reflected on a mechanical arm on an avatar that has shine applied to it, all the while the shine not shining in certain places on that arm and reflecting the world around it even though applying shine to an object cant produce a reflection.

You also literally stated in your first post that the SL homepage image wasn't photoshopped and then despite people saying it was and impossible to do in SL without photoshop then link a flikr account with photoshopped images as an example to prove your point to being able to make similar pictures from SL photos.

Also completely ignoring my point about lighting. You even went on to state that that image on the homepage could be done in BD Viewer. I give Niran kudos for what he has done, but no, BD Viewer cant produce anywhere near that quality.

Nice Try.

Can SL images look good? Yes. Not to that extent though.

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Finite said:

There's barely any photoshop in the image. Maybe the hands or the clouds in the background? I'm not sure what the issue is here.

11 minutes ago, Drayke Newall said:

You also literally stated in your first post that the SL homepage image wasn't photoshopped and then despite people saying it was and impossible to do in SL without photoshop then link a flikr account with photoshopped images as an example to prove your point to being able to make similar pictures from SL photos.

Also completely ignoring my point about lighting.

You clearly are having comprehension issues tonight. Maybe it's all that architectural rendering you are doing on your 3090TI? I genuinely thought the model was produced in SL and felt only the background and hands were photoshopped. Not sure where Im "literally" stating no photoshop was used. But anyways. The other post you are referencing was in response to another comment (to which I quoted and replied)  and not in anyway to support my previous statement.  Which I had already embarrassingly recanted by the time I made the referenced post.

Edited by Finite

9 minutes ago, Finite said:

SL can produce reflections. You just need to reverse and flip the object which gives it the appearance of a reflection.

This only works for flat plains where the reflective surface is larger than the items being reflected.

There are tricks that can be done with projectors but again, these are very conditional in how they are used (typically requiring only the reflective object in the shot having any materials at all, or other objects having pre baked full bright textures - but this is already highly dependent on external rendering tools)

Compositing multiple images with different settings can push things further still, but the margin for error is exceptionally small and at this point it's just easier to render in something else .. as in literally any none real-time renderer from the last 20 years.

5 minutes ago, Finite said:

You clearly are having comprehension issues tonight. Maybe it's all that architectural rendering you are doing on your 3090TI? I genuinely thought the model was produced in SL and felt only the background and hands were photoshopped. Not sure where Im "literally" stating no photoshop was used. But anyways.

I'll give that you said barely, but that entire image on the homepage has been photoshopped from the lighting, arms and hair down to the minutest detail of the glow on her teeth. To say it has barely been photoshopped is just absurd.

The other post you are referencing was in response to another comment (to which I quoted and replied)  and not in anyway to support my previous statement. 

It was entirely used to support your argument. Ill post it below for ease.

1 hour ago, Finite said:

Oof i am a dummy. They could have produced that in Black Dragon imo. The model and the lighting at least. 

I bolded the part you said referencing that SL with a TPV can produce that quality of photo on the main page. Firstly the model cannot be produced in SL without enormous vertices on the mesh and Lag, the hair is impossible where it shows individual strands above, the garments would be equally high vertices to the point of lag. Even the headpiece would be over 100000 vertices where the filigree is on the headpiece. Someone even posted a pic of the best they could do and it wasn't even close.

As to lighting you quoted above as been able to be produced in BD Viewer. It is equally impossible.

Once again no part of that image is possible within Second Life without the need for enormous computer power to render Second Life in real time. That is why people are saying it is false advertising.

Could they have produced a SIMILAR image using second life? Yes and they should have but it would look nothing like that image and have no where near the marketing power - not that that RL photo has any either.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Drayke Newall said:

6 minutes ago, Drayke Newall said:

It was entirely used to support your argument. Ill post it below for ease.

I bolded the part you said referencing that SL with a TPV can produce that quality of photo on the main page. Firstly the model cannot be produced in SL without enormous vertices on the mesh and Lag, the hair is impossible where it shows individual strands above, the garments would be equally high vertices to the point of lag. Even the headpiece would be over 100000 vertices where the filigree is on the headpiece. Someone even posted a pic of the best they could do and it wasn't even close.

Odd since you clearly stated you were referencing my flickr post.. I made a dumb statement, admitted it and moved on. Not sure why you can't just let it go.

Edited by Finite

1 minute ago, Finite said:

Odd since you clearly stated you were referencing my flickr post.. I made a dumb statement, admitted it and moved on. Not sure why you can't just let it go.

I was referencing everything you had said from the BD Viewer capable of rendering that image to the flickr page.

I can and will easily let your statements go. You were the one however that kept the argument going by saying your average gaming computer could render real time in SL that image.

On 4/22/2021 at 2:17 AM, Jaylinbridges said:

Point Taken... Marketing will change their Main page to this image next week, after they commission their production company partnership team to produce this picture with real models:AmericanGothic.png.93236673e47e0c6088459d53705b7975.png.3355e84776da45a0606cdfff4303bc9b.png

Is that mesh pitchfork available on the MP please ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Drayke Newall said:

I was referencing everything you had said from the BD Viewer capable of rendering that image to the flickr page.

I can and will easily let your statements go. You were the one however that kept the argument going by saying your average gaming computer could render real time in SL that image.

No I stopped that argument when I called myself a dummy. The only other "argument" (I felt it was more of a statement or opinion than an argument) was that I felt a photo taken in SL could have produced something similar likely with black dragon and projected lighting with similar use of photoshop for the glows, the hands and the brackground.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Finite said:

No I stopped that argument when I called myself a dummy. The only other "argument" (I felt it was more of a statement or opinion than an argument) was that I felt a photo taken in SL could have produced something similar likely with black dragon and projected lighting with similar use of photoshop for the glows, the hands and the brackground.

Fair enough. Whilst I disagree with your opinion (that it can be produced) it is after all what they are and everyone is entitled to them and people equally entitled to disagree.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, rasterscan said:

The chap on the far right is Patch Linden with dyed hair and I claim my 3 linden reward ..

Well spotted .. this can mean only one thing. The serious businesses LL are trying to attract do not align with mouse ears and hot pants.

My disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

Look at all the games, the pictures on the box are never exactly what you get.
TV commercials show stories with the characters that are never possible when you install the game.

Of course they don't show a sim crossing that goes sour at their home page,  or the gray world  after TP-ing into Bellisseria.
This thread smells a bit like: "Yes!! we can do some LL bashing, let's do plenty off it." to be honest.

Who still buys boxed games??? They still exist? 

Edited by Chris Nova

5 hours ago, Chris Nova said:

Who still buys boxed games??? They still exist? 

Of course. Why spend €40 on a game on Steam, when you can spend €90 to get it in a box with a map and a little figurine and a limited edition in-world pet?

.. Or a model onager. 

total-war-rome-ii-2-collectors-edition.j

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Well spotted .. this can mean only one thing. The serious businesses LL are trying to attract do not align with mouse ears and hot pants.

My disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined.

With the hair color change, maybe that is Evil Patch!

Due to my extreme far-sightedness with far-sight of a hawk, it's left me with extreme difficulties to see up close; my cornea is curved oddly or something, I forgot now.  Thus, I have prescription glasses going on about a +7 magnification AND use enlarge font on a computer.  

The image I see is below and I still went "that's an avatar?" just upon first glance.  I, do, however, think they could have used an avatar, no problem.  Just Photoshop in a materials look or what-have-u.   But, what's done is done, or perhaps they will change it.  I think they should use real SL avatars.  Click on the pic to enlarge if you'd really like to see it enlarged as I do everyday.

Screenshot (282).png

Edited by FairreLilette

4 hours ago, Orwar said:

Of course. Why spend €40 on a game on Steam, when you can spend €90 to get it in a box with a map and a little figurine and a limited edition in-world pet?

.. Or a model onager. 

so many boxed games, but since covid, it's been impossible to get even a simple party game night together, let alone some of the more in-depth deck building, strategy stuff or even a little dungeons & dragons drunks.

Highly recommend Wil Wheaton's tabletop series as a gateway drug.

https://www.youtube.com/c/GeekandSundry/search?query=tabletop

• Like 1

Looks like LL did the same thing the Sims 4 did with their last ad campaign. They used real actors instead of sims, thus creating an unrealistic expectation from would-be users and irritating their actual users. Does anyone even watch ads for SL anyway? Maybe they could send Premium users a free bumper sticker that says "My other life is in Second Life" and let us advertise for them instead?

• Haha 2

On 4/21/2021 at 6:42 AM, Braclo Eber said:

I am guessing it is related to the new commercial they teased back in December.

If that commercial is almost ready to be released, it makes sense to match the homepage to something similar.
*Edit - this is the blogpost

Can that take SO long? They produced that commercial in August, teased in in December and now its nearly May and still nothing to be seen of it?

The production process looks really fascinating but does not seem to have any resemblance to everyday Second Life average lifestyle.

You MAY be able to create similar avatars but who does?I never met any of these extremely fancy creatures. And though we usually CAN fly it's not what we usually do.

People who watch that commercial and join are sure to be disappointed!

Edited by Leora Jacobus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Looks like LL did the same thing the Sims 4 did with their last ad campaign. They used real actors instead of sims, thus creating an unrealistic expectation from would-be users and irritating their actual users. Does anyone even watch ads for SL anyway? Maybe they could send Premium users a free bumper sticker that says "My other life is in Second Life" and let us advertise for them instead?

Here you go!  A quickie toss together for a bumper sticker!

OtherlifeInSL.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1140 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.