The all-in-one Home Furnishings Topic!

Trinity Blakewell

14 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I am not a very good person when I decorate. I think about myself first, and if I lag neighbors is not very high on my list of priority. It is not like I sit with state of the art laptop and stationary. My selfish thought is that what works for me, is not extreme.

So what I decorate, I don't care about inspecting it or so. I know about triangles and textures, but as long as I am not harmed...

But when it start to hurt my performance, it is another thing! <-- (See, selfish) 👿

And even I think: WTF! Spending triangles and lots of textures on hinges. Hinges! That is madness. What do hinges need so much for? Some persons zoom extremely close in on hinges and sigh happy when they enjoy the visual beauty..../irony

I think that I heard that a big store used 1024 X 1024 textures on aiglets, the little tip on lace ends. That was when we discussed textures and complexity on avatars. I got the same reaction then. Why???

You're not selfish, if you can't do and buy the things you like, what's the point then? where's the fun? you're not doing it on purpose, you're just enjoying what you love!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I consider myself in the middle of users and their graphics and memory. I have a good amount of memory installed on my stationary, and a graphic card that is said to be good among the economy cards. Plus cable and my speedtests is good, if not 100% they are over 90%.

The laptop I am using now is more meh, but not super bad.

So when creators start to lag me on my stationary, to the extent that I say stop; "I am not buying this anymore" it should be a sign that they must change.

But I think not. I believe that 99.99% of those who struggle with lag and grey textures blames it on LL, so that one user drop their products, will not affect them at all.

And you can quote me in your blog, Chic. Lol.

Edited by Marianne Little
added a few words to clarify
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

More cheerful: 25 L Tuesdays almost always have some Home and Garden.

I think this will look good in a corner of the garden, that is a bit overgrown:

12-Muniick.jpg?fit=760,760&ssl=1

And this:

07-Artisan-Fantasy.jpg?fit=760,760&ssl=1

This is really cute:

36a-Gumis.jpg?fit=760,760&ssl=1

It is some more items here, but I posted only my favorites. https://25ltuesday.com/

Ooh thanks, I always forget to look at the Tuesday sales, and I really like that Muniick bench!

As for Concept, I don't think I've ever seen anything but gacha from them, which I always just wait and buy on MP later.

And I agree with you 100% re: lag, etc. 

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 2

Had to smile at @Marianne Little's comment about that "won't help" factor. I agree, but I am still going to do what I think is most prudent. I frequently vote for measures that don't pass, but if everyone decides it is useless to fight the status quo -- then it will ALWAYS be the status quo LOL.

ANYWAY ---  This is kinda cute and only 35 lindens on a gacha. Eight colors of tulips I think.  Very good LODs (samples are out to see).  33,000 tris which is in that middle ground category -- for me anyway).   I was going to play for the scooter to hold the tulips but then noted that the odds were VERY VERY VERY bad (I know from reading the description and being in Gimme Gacha for so long and knowing what those numbers mean.)  So it was one pull for me.   They are 65 lindens on the aftermarket which seems pretty ridiculous, but hey. 

Meanwhile wanted to repeat that "finding the less dense mesh within a creator's offerings thing.  While I was at Kustom 9 again I walked past Dustbunny's planters while finding the scooter gacha.  I only looked at two of them but while one was very high, a neighboring one was very reasonable.  So even if you decide to walk away from that dense mesh, it doesn't mean that you need to give up on favorite creators -- just be picky!  "D 

image.thumb.png.e4e43dcdefb582aaa47405afcfef19eb.png

DUH --- PItaya 

Right lane towards that back as you come in the door.   

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Like 9

46 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Had to smile at @Marianne Little's comment about that "won't help" factor. I agree, but I am still going to do what I think is most prudent. I frequently vote for measures that don't pass, but if everyone decides it is useless to fight the status quo -- then it will ALWAYS be the status quo LOL.

ANYWAY ---  This is kinda cute and only 35 lindens on a gacha. Eight colors of tulips I think.  Very good LODs (samples are out to see).  33,000 tris which is in that middle ground category -- for me anyway).   I was going to play for the scooter to hold the tulips but then noted that the odds were VERY VERY VERY bad (I know from reading the description and being in Gimme Gacha for so long and knowing what those numbers mean.)  So it was one pull for me.   They are 65 lindens on the aftermarket which seems pretty ridiculous, but hey. 

Meanwhile wanted to repeat that "finding the less dense mesh within a creator's offerings thing.  While I was at Kustom 9 again I walked past Dustbunny's planters while finding the scooter gacha.  I only looked at two of them but while one was very high, a neighboring one was very reasonable.  So even if you decide to walk away from that dense mesh, it doesn't mean that you need to give up on favorite creators -- just be picky!  "D 

image.thumb.png.e4e43dcdefb582aaa47405afcfef19eb.png

DUH --- PItaya 

Right lane towards that back as you come in the door.   

I, for one, am glad you call attention to that.  I had no idea.  I do love Nutmeg, and when I do a Trace public sim, Ioad up on her stuff for decor, never noticing if it causes big time lag for residents coming to visit.  The next one I do, will be more conscious of this, for sure...thanks :)

• Like 5

I am feeling so confused now. I have a favorite store. One of my favorite stores. Reasonable prices and looking great. They have been active in events, and I have bought a wardrobe set with modules. I have a huge folder of their stuff. One of their newer bedroom sets has a clothing rack.

The wardrobe with 4 modules and the clothing rack together...

That is over 900 000 triangles! It makes the Nutmeg items "light".

The strange thing is... it has never had issues loading for me. No grey textures, items visible as soon as I log in and look at them. When I rezzed the set first time too.

triangles.jpg

Adding: The store's 5 year old wardrobe is much lighter. For 7 modules linked together, it is this much lower number, and it is a detailed set. Even included a drawer with small objects. But I see this wardrobe "everywhere" and was so happy to get a new one.

tri2.jpg

Added the last part
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

I am feeling so confused now. I have a favorite store. One of my favorite stores. Reasonable prices and looking great. They have been active in events, and I have bought a wardrobe set with modules. I have a huge folder of their stuff. One of their newer bedroom sets has a clothing rack.

The wardrobe with 4 modules and the clothing rack together...

That is over 900 000 triangles! It makes the Nutmeg items "light".

The strange thing is... it has never had issues loading for me. No grey textures, items visible as soon as I log in and look at them. When I rezzed the set first time too.

triangles.jpg

BUT that is one wardrobe made up of THIRTY ONE PIECES, so averaging  around 30,000 tris per piece.  Not the same so far as "bang for your buck" (value in this case in triangles) as ONE single piece of furniture at 500,000 tris.   Each one of the textures marked 3072 is  a 1024 square texture though so that IS a lot of work for the viewer.  

Here is a similar "set" (by the way more items got linked together at the main store since I visited a couple of days ago) so this is two dressers, room divider with throw, lamp and a ton of "clutter".  While the triangle number is similar (again this is MANY objects all linked together for "display" :D) look at the difference on the texture count. It is about FIVE TIMES that of your wardrobe item.   

It is the number of big  TEXTURES that make the world gray.   And just in number there are 55 in your wardrobe compared to 176 in the bedroom display. 

image.png.2a923c1946f36d6c92718dbcfc3047cf.png

If you look at the numbers on the BED ONLY in the set above (not included in the screenshot as it is the only piece NOT linked together LOL)  you can see that each section of the bed (so pillows, afghan, quilt etc) has MULTIPLE textures (remember 3072 tells us a 1024 texture was used on an item so 12,288 tells us there are FOUR textures on one PART of that bed.  

image.png.b793465f4d5fff5c8f8ac08fff369488.png

In the scheme of things the bed is a "good value" from this maker, but your closet is an overall much better deal if we are considering texture memory (grayness coefficient) used.   Hope that makes better sense now. 

If we would have looked at these numbers four years ago they would have been much more shocking (well I think we DID look at them on the MESH part of this forum and yes, shocked :D) but NOW they are a typical part of the picture.  

My house on Lilly is gray when I arrive each time and has to load. My Trompe Loeil cliff house where I was being more careful loads as you say almost instantly.  So those small items like FOOD (such a bigger sinner food) do cause issues for sure.   

I am going to post this but I think my pictures may be in the wrong place for clarity. Need to reread.  

Yes, pictures in wrong places for easy understanding and added a few extra words for clarity.  

Note that putting four 1024 textures on a pair of jeans or even a tank top is becoming the norm.  My computer is MUCH happier now that I added that "see only friends" button to the bottom toolbar of FS.  I KNEW there was a setting like that somewhere but couldn't find it then someone mentioned the other day. MUCH easier than derendering everyone when you go to an event. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
moving pictures adding info for clarity
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Yuumo Ichibara said:

ASTRALIA – Modern Home SPA available at Cupid Inc.

The sauna and shower is 26 LI but this is soo tempting >.<

astralia.thumb.png.c31c0845b4065e9fa69cd118daebc6a7.pngastralia2.thumb.png.eec1431463b8199bef15f874f224cb32.png

I am REALLY glad you posted this. I went over to look and this is a GREAT example of highish land impact NOT being about heavy mesh.    The numbers come from  the high LOD (see it WAY FAR AWAY) and the number of pieces in the linked item.  So think about the Belli homes being higher land impact than we would expect BECAUSE they can be seen by those on less powerful computers from a long ways away.   

sauna.thumb.jpg.507f8f5d481e632b24060e7e5b9ac265.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

In the scheme of things the bed is a "good value" from this maker, but your closet is an overall much better deal if we are considering texture memory (grayness coefficient) used.   Hope that makes better sense now.

English isn't my #1 language, but I am not sure if that's all of my problems. As soon as a culprit is identified = Triangles, and I think I have that sorted out, if's and but's and considered this part with that part and SL's overall overuse of resources, it is not as bad, it could be worse?

Lol, ignorance is bliss.

I still wonder, why use 48 000 triangles on a small stack of maybe 4 jeans (one object). * 2 jeans, I counted them.

So this particular creator has not joined the "dark side"? It is good that I can have her latest wardrobe up without lagging myself.

I do not like the overuse of 1024 textures on the most trivial, unnoticeable items. Is it a golden trophy to the creators who never use a texture smaller than 1024 X 1024? /irked voice

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

English isn't my #1 language, but I am not sure if that's all of my problems. As soon as a culprit is identified = Triangles, and I think I have that sorted out, if's and but's and considered this part with that part and SL's overall overuse of resources, it is not as bad, it could be worse?

Lol, ignorance is bliss.

I still wonder, why use 48 000 triangles on a small stack of maybe 4 jeans (one object). * 2 jeans, I counted them.

So this particular creator has not joined the "dark side"? It is good that I can have her latest wardrobe up without lagging myself.

I do not like the overuse of 1024 textures on the most trivial, unnoticeable items. Is it a golden trophy to the creators who never use a texture smaller than 1024 X 1024? /irked voice

Yes, I know English isn't your first language although you couldn't tell that too often.  

From my point of view there are three main things we --- as both consumers and certainly as creators need to look at.   No, make that four.

Land impact -- if it is too high no one will want to use an object

LODs -- if people need to set their LODs to LOD4 in order to use an object, it will (or can anyway) break someone's computer

Triangle count (or vertices if you prefer) - Dense mesh is just very bad for the platform as a whole == lag

Texture Use -- the overuse of large textures. At least one viewer will let you upload 2048 textures which is four times larger than a 1024 texture (OMG).

The most important thing for ME is the LOD issue. If an object changes shape from just across a room, that's ridiculous.  Triangle count bothers me a lot as a creator because I know there is no reason for it besides sloppy modeling.  Land impact and texture use are about even on my personal scale. Sometimes I have plenty of land impact points to spend -- other times not. And I CAN wait for textures to load if I need to.   

At the same time that mesh and textures have been getting heavier, LODs seem to be getting much better. There are few events that I go to these days that have items turning into triangles from a distance. This is a very good thing and that makes me VERY happy. I have written so very much about LODs in the last few years and people seem to be coming around. The more people that get it and talk to their friends -- the better. 

As to the WHY of heavy mesh --- yes, I think some original creators have gone over to the dark side on purpose. They thing that if something has more triangles it looks better -- and it does a little bit.   So they diverted from their previous workflow and started modeling differently.     

Others I am pretty sure just buy off the web and don't know or don't care enough to FIX that heavy render mesh.  There was one brand many years back before it was legal to buy off the web and import that I was sure was doing this.  Their meshes (mostly gachas) had nothing in common modeling wise. Some were made in pieces and put together inworld, some were all one piece. Some heavy mesh, some very light and not very pretty mesh.  Most original creators have the same worksflow and method no matter what they are making; that is obvious to another person that makes mesh.   Eventually I stopped blogging for them because at that time it was against the TOS to do what they were doing. 

Others in the H and G creation world have told me some of the folks that buy off the web. I don't KNOW if they are correct or not. I have my own suspicions based on what I see them producing --- but again this is NOW LEGAL (so far as SL is concerned anyway).  So some creators are simply using an easier if more expansive method to get mesh into Second Life.   It would be fairly easy in many cases to cut those triangles down some after they get the model to upload.  There are tools in 3D programs to help with this. But some creators don't and the grid ends up with more triangles than the object actually NEEDS. 

The texture use is CHOICE. Bigger textures look better and more clear and sharper. So the object has that ooooh and aaaah factor. And I suspect that objects with bigger and more textures SELL BETTER because of that look.  It certainly seems that way. 

So it appears that the bottom line for many of the "heavy mesh" creators is profit. And that is the way a lot of the world works, so no big surprise.  EACH creator makes a choice about their work. Mine was to make low impact items that could be seen well by most folks with good but not the prettiest they could be textures. That was MY middle ground as a creator.  Others have chosen different paths. 

AND to Marianne's question -- we each as CONSUMERS need to decide what we are willing to live with in that taking up resources manner --- much like we do in real life.  It probably won't surprise anyone that while I could live in a much fancier and more decorated house, I choose to keep a very small "carbon footprint" and take up as few resources in the real world as I can comfortably get by on.  I don't discard things until they are broken. I don't buy things I don't actually need.   My small house has two very small closets and that's plenty for my clothes and my "junk".  There is no garage and my store room has summer furniture and gardening stuff and is pretty empty. 

There is no giant right or wrong here --- it is a matter of choice and in some ways of conscience.     

Sure there are some typos in this long dissertation. Editing most likely will follow :D

Edited by Chic Aeon
general editing to make pronouns more clear - my expository writing teacher would be happy I remember the rules :D
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 5

1773131161_vikinggrave.thumb.jpg.104ae2c0c2dd5ea2b792bfa393dd7131.jpg

I went on the Viking Hunt this early morning.  There are some shelves and a nice table and a very impressive thrown should you need one, but best for me and general use is this Viking Grave. It is mod so that the sword can be removed and the parts used separately.    

The runes are from LOVE an I really love them. There is one version for a path and one version with BIG stones also.  Hope I get to use them some day.  The grave is from 3rd Eye.  Hunt page is here.    

Adding triangle info :D.  That's everything but the runes. Runes are 3,800. Love the Runes!

image.png.8798f3a46cf5178ae02383fc6d1157cb.png

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Yuumo Ichibara said:

Some stylish towel and toilet paper holders by Kactus to complement your stylish toilets at home, including my favorite group gift gold toilet from Fancy Decor so we can sh1t luxuriously in style lol

Available at Uber: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Uber2/133/123/22

Kactus @ Uber Hometown 2/19

Thanks for posting this! I didn't see it at Uber, and it's not on Seraphim's post, either. Now I gotta go back!

• Like 3

On 2/17/2021 at 6:19 AM, Chic Aeon said:

My computer is MUCH happier now that I added that "see only friends" button to the bottom toolbar of FS.  I KNEW there was a setting like that somewhere but couldn't find it then someone mentioned the other day. MUCH easier than derendering everyone when you go to an event. 

Yes, yes!  Totally agree!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Thanks for posting this! I didn't see it at Uber, and it's not on Seraphim's post, either. Now I gotta go back!

Ohh it's at Uber HOMETOWN. I didn't realize that till I clicked on the photo. That event starts tomorrow, so I haven't missed anything yet. :) 

• Like 5

For those that haven't heard, Uber just opened a new all H and G (well there is one pose person there LOL but whatever) event at noon. It is full now of course but previews on Seraphim. 

Here is your taxi.  

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Uber2/218/84/37

There are some mind numbing land impact counts amidst the furniture so be sure and remember your "right click - object - inspect" mantra if you care.   I see one thing I really like but pretty sure it has way to many triangles. Will be happy to be surprised should it not  :D.   

Have fun!!!

Introducing Uber Hometown!

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Some quite cute group gifts at Careless (group is free to join)

Items seem quite low Li - the table is 1 Li and the chairs are 2 Li each and both come in black, gold and silver options.

The triangle count and texture memory seem reasonable too (but my knowledge here is not great) 

There are also some other nice group gifts including some pretty accent chairs in blue, pink, and green. 3 Li and seem reasonable regarding triangle count and Tmem. LODs are good too.

secondlife://CARELESS/182/70/39821602867949_redhook2_002.thumb.png.1125e7021cf35c592d0494c3db04821e.png1119719840_redhook2_003.thumb.png.e5ebb9366c0bfc333e859c1e74f60093.png

• Like 5