The all-in-one Home Furnishings Topic!

Trinity Blakewell

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Talk about triangles, this must be super low (1100) pr chair.

Often - though not always - that means that you won't be able to see the chairs from very far away (sometimes no more than 10 meters or so) without setting your LOD to 4 (or higher).  The Edit/Object tab, right side mid-way down, will tell you the distance for when it will shift from the High LOD to the Medium, etc... If the Triangle values are roughly 1100 for the High and then almost nothing for the other values, it means the chair will pretty much disappear at whatever distance it shifts from High to Medium.

I can't get inworld right now, so I have no clue if that applies to this particular item or not.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Maybe it is not too late for this Ebento weekend offer, because I bought it just now. It is, strictly speaking over the time set for the weekend sale. Sometimes the time is stretched a bit.

154475864_1151678141919519_7846587178404

Talk about triangles, this must be super low (1100) pr chair. And only 2 Li per chair and 2 Li per table. It was not a front display, it is up in 2nd floor, to the back.

https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Petrichor/136/40/2070

Just from looking at the picture that is definitely low poly mesh so unlikely (but possible) that it will break apart, but since I have made similar chairs with more detail at LOD 2 that were only ONE land impact I am guessing that they are viewable by most folks -- maybe down to LOD1.5.   

Nice vendor photo!  And yes, a lot of sellers leave their weekend things up awhile AND start on Friday LOL.   

So it's the first of the month -- and this month being MARCH it means The Arcade is open.  I seem to mostly buy weekend sales stuff and gachas (often secondary market ones).    

And while I have a very pretty picture to show of what I DID get and was happy with I also have a warning.  There is one very popular home furnishings gacha from this round that has some nasty LODs and sloppy texturing. The PHOTOS LOOK FABULOUS but the products not so much.  

So I strongly suggest that if you PLAY, play just once and see how things look to you OR just buy ONE item off the reseller Marketplace.  Not going to say who obviously but this is a good rule for any gacha  IMO :D. 

Here is the pretty picture.  This is 12. Fancy Decor + KraftWork Voda Pool Clutter  Really good LODs and 53,438 triangles for the four items.   3 land impact

poolside.thumb.jpg.8ff5e249fed1c855f93f56a406e3c6dd.jpg

And in case you were wondering -- OMG this is big. 

image.thumb.png.2b927b3d18f29fb893c55af3a319dfe8.png

At 4 meters it is nine but of course the animations won't fit LOL  Couldn't paste my last photo but you get the idea.   The pieces inside are all separate so what a great bit of "flora" for underwater.  I might by some more and make a lagoon :D. Who knows. Lots of time to decide. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

So I strongly suggest that if you PLAY, play just once and see how things look to you OR just buy ONE item off the reseller Marketplace.  Not going to say who obviously but this is a good rule for any gacha  IMO :D. 

Thanks for the idea about checking the resellers on Marketplace. I never realized items would show up there so quickly. I'd rather pay a little more and then KNOW what I'm getting, anyway.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:
15 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Talk about triangles, this must be super low (1100) pr chair.

Often - though not always - that means that you won't be able to see the chairs from very far away (sometimes no more than 10 meters or so) without setting your LOD to 4 (or higher).  The Edit/Object tab, right side mid-way down, will tell you the distance for when it will shift from the High LOD to the Medium, etc... If the Triangle values are roughly 1100 for the High and then almost nothing for the other values, it means the chair will pretty much disappear at whatever distance it shifts from High to Medium.

I can't get inworld right now, so I have no clue if that applies to this particular item or not.

My LOD is currently set to 2 -- the chairs & table are circled in red.

They switch to Med LOD at roughly 45 meters:

image.png.d6210c6a276a490684ab04b2ee0b49a3.png

And then switch to Low LOD at roughly 85 meters:

image.png.553d65cea0db5e297921dbe5b6fdd0f7.png

Good, bad or indifferent would be up to each person.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

My LOD is currently set to 2 -- the chairs & table are circled in red.

They switch to Med LOD at roughly 45 meters:

image.png.d6210c6a276a490684ab04b2ee0b49a3.png

And then switch to Low LOD at roughly 85 meters:

image.png.553d65cea0db5e297921dbe5b6fdd0f7.png

Good, bad or indifferent would be up to each person.

Thanks. That was a good illustration of what I have been saying --- well for many years LOL.   Not only do we not really KNOW unless we test ourselves, but the NEED for LODs varies a lot depending on WHERE your items are going.   So things in a bathroom with a door for example really don't need to be seen 50 meters away -- how could you view that anyway? While HOUSES really do need to have good LODs so that they don't look horrid to the neighbors. 

But if you have your house in a skybox surrond or bubble -- it likely doesn't really matter.   The danger in my mind is the folks that have their LODs set on 4. Not only does the stress the computer big time, it gives a false picture of what MOST folks see.  

Happily as far as the LOD issue is concerned I think there have been great improvements grid-wide in the last frew years. I am seldom at an big name event where I see items breaking up. I did see some at the Shop and Hop and also at the RFL Home Expo -- but honestly not all the creators there were  -- let's say "seasoned" so hopefully they will figure it out sometime soon.

Meanwhile I am encouraged.  Now we can move on to LESS RENDER MESH PLEASE and thank you LOL.  

• Like 6

I had "problems" finding things I wanted to buy, because it was not much that caught my eye. And the old stores are still the best...

Headhunter's island. The Overgrown Pavilion is a RFL vendor item. https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Hope 9/206/173/23

The pavilion itself is 25 Li and too high Li for LH homes. I bought this for the furniture. The beanbag and beanbag couch is 2 Li each, the rest - crate table, tea set, rug and plant is 1 Li each. Really low triangles. The most complicated part had 8300 triangles. LOD 1000 for the faraway picture. LOD 2300 for the closest.

Simple laptop used, low graphic (I use this graphic for hunt/shopping, is has all but atmospheric shaders off.).

Nice to have some new low landimpact furniture I can use on a deck or indoor.

overgrown collage.jpg

Edited by Marianne Little
typo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I love love love modern design, so I picked up this pretty texture change Sway sofa for $50L from one of my favorite shops. (It will be in the Friday sale.)

Fourth Wall / Sway Sofa / Fifty Linden Friday | New release … | Flickr

It is 10 Li with over 52,000 triangles. The L shaped Hala sofa, shown to its right below,  is from the same designer and weighs in at only 27,000 triangles and 4 Li! (Neither sofa melts in the distance.) How does it happen that the earlier and more complex Hala sofa is far less laggy and primmy? Lol! Needless to say, the Sway won't be replacing the Hala anytime soon,  but it is still a great buy. (Maybe.)  Edit: After seeing @Chic Aeon's post just below, there is no maybe. It's a well-done and beautiful piece.

Sway Sofa

1snapshot_010a.thumb.png.182d5ac114f0591064c1de259d30753a.png

Hala Sofa

1snapshot_011a.thumb.png.35bab678ec0773f610453a749db0f930.png

Edited by Eirynne Sieyes
Add title descriptors
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

I love love love modern design, so I picked up this pretty texture change Sway sofa for $50L from one of my favorite shops. (It will be in the Friday sale.)

It is 10 Li with over 52,000 triangles. The L shaped Hala sofa, shown to its right below,  is from the same designer and weighs in at only 27,000 triangles and 4 Li! (Neither sofa melts in the distance.) How does it happen that the earlier and more complex Hala sofa is far less laggy and primmy? Lol! Needless to say, the Sway won't be replacing the Hala anytime soon,  but it is still a great buy. (Maybe.)

Sway Sofa

Hala Sofa

I went over to the shop to inspect them :D.    The difference is that the NEW sofa on sale has MUCH better LODs.  I rendered the trees and the buildings and could cam out about half way across the sim and it was still "whole".  

Now, it would seem like that is "overkill" ----- BUT  (and this is important) while most of us here seem to be at LOD2, many folks are not.  I was on the new version of the Linden viewer the other day and the default is much less than 2.  So (oh so happily) the creator has decided to make things so that even the folks in LOD1 can see the work reasonably.   

I cammed out on the other lower land impact sofa and it broke up MUCH quicker. Now it is OK for you, but it wouldn't be for folks in the Linden viewer of those that need to set their LODs lower than 2 (not all that hefty computers).    There is also a possibility that the scripts influenced the LI cost.   Since I don't use many scripts I really don't understand how that works but I do know that scripts do influence the LI cost in some ways.   But for SURE the LODs are the most of the answer. I couldn't see the numbers when I inspected so can't say more than that.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

It is 10 Li with over 52,000 triangles. The L shaped Hala sofa, shown to its right below,  is from the same designer and weighs in at only 27,000 triangles and 4 Li! (Neither sofa melts in the distance.) How does it happen that the earlier and more complex Hala sofa is far less laggy and primmy? Lol! Needless to say, the Sway won't be replacing the Hala anytime soon,  but it is still a great buy. (Maybe.)

Sway Sofa

Hala Sofa

A bit off topic, but I got to say: Lovly home!

• Thanks 1

On sale now at Muniick: the Van Der Koert desk set, PG or A for 50L$ (vase 2 LI, desk 4 LI, chair 2 LI, drawings 1 LI, pencil 1 LI). The desk has animated drawers and sliding doors on top. (And a foosball table with a set of pendant lights that was a previous offer is on ale again for 60L$.) 

muniick1.JPG

Edited by Frigga Freidman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I went over to the shop to inspect them :D.    The difference is that the NEW sofa on sale has MUCH better LODs.  I rendered the trees and the buildings and could cam out about half way across the sim and it was still "whole".  

Now, it would seem like that is "overkill" ----- BUT  (and this is important) while most of us here seem to be at LOD2, many folks are not.  I was on the new version of the Linden viewer the other day and the default is much less than 2.  So (oh so happily) the creator has decided to make things so that even the folks in LOD1 can see the work reasonably.   

I cammed out on the other lower land impact sofa and it broke up MUCH quicker. Now it is OK for you, but it wouldn't be for folks in the Linden viewer of those that need to set their LODs lower than 2 (not all that hefty computers).    There is also a possibility that the scripts influenced the LI cost.   Since I don't use many scripts I really don't understand how that works but I do know that scripts do influence the LI cost in some ways.   But for SURE the LODs are the most of the answer. I couldn't see the numbers when I inspected so can't say more than that.  

Unless we have the sofa outdoors, people with poor computers (LoD 0.1 to 1) who travel around will not see it break down. (Can people see more things than old prims at all, if the LoD is very low?)

It is enough, in my opinion, that we and others who live with us, can see it from the door or windows. Be it that we use LoD 2 or 4, if we prefer high LoD and the computer can handle it.

Ask yourself if any stranger who wander into the house need to see the furniture.

If I come off as rude, I hope you understand that I don't mean it so. I mean general "you".

Anyone who go to a store to shop, will see if the furniture break down for them, and don't need to buy it. If we see it good, like @Eirynne Sieyesdo, it good enough.

If there are problems with loading furniture for the one who live there, it is time to count triangles and textures, and try to find the "bad ones". Like I did, when I used too much Nutmeg furniture. I had to do something.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Unless we have the sofa outdoors, people with poor computers (LoD 0.1 to 1) who travel around will not see it break down. (Can people see more things than old prims at all, if the LoD is very low?)

I agree. It is just something for people to think about and decide.  The higher LOD IS the reason for the difference in land impact though and that was the question.   I went back to the shop and took a screenshot of the couch at a "reasonable distance" for ME.  Here is what it looks like at LOD 1.25.  I had to derender the background stand and building as it was black on black and you couldn't see anything.  

I agree that it is a perfectly good couch for many people, it just wouldn't be all that great for folks with lower end computers. 

image.png.c89355582c344b9fe1ce41acc32ef10d.png

Edited by Chic Aeon
had LOD number wrong
  • Like 2

Not as much H and G this Friday  but here are a couple of impressive items AND and opportunity :D.

2008850439_junkpile.thumb.jpg.be747c857292d1262801ee27232fcb19.jpg

7 LI with great LODs.   At NOMAD

PS. The chair needs to be pulled down to the shadow on this but that is pretty easy to do :D.   

221682790_crowdedroom.thumb.jpg.567b7e6d703fb40cb3e911b1ab0ad140.jpg

2 li and great LODs. At Crowded Room.

AND

759452455_giftcards.thumb.jpg.e558cddb0b7f6f1ea0103e8098c2f723.jpg

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

It is enough, in my opinion, that we and others who live with us, can see it from the door or windows. Be it that we use LoD 2 or 4, if we prefer high LoD and the computer can handle it.

Ask yourself if any stranger who wander into the house need to see the furniture.

This isn't directly specifically at you.  It is just that some of your comments invoked the following thoughts, just offered up as my own person opinion and experience.

I judge indoor furniture mostly by what I can see, with my LOD set at 2, from roughly 10-15m away.  That is usually as far away as you'll be able to see indoors without a wall or something interrupting the view.  If I'm in a super open floorplan, then furniture should be visible across the entire room/area, which might sometimes be a greater distance.

I want my outdoor furniture to be viewable from at least 75-100m as that keeps it from looking like crud from the neighbors' yards and I want my trees visible from even further away.  

While I don't necessarily care what a stranger sees inside my house, I do want any invited visitors to see things properly - similar to how I want my neighbors to see my yard properly.  I do however, base it all on an LOD setting of 2 and only very rarely check things with a lower setting.

7 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Anyone who go to a store to shop, will see if the furniture break down for them

Much of the time this isn't true.  People will get teleported directly to an item or they'll walk right up to it and check it out.  I don't think most people even think about walking or camming back to check how it looks from any distance.  Then they rez items at home and wonder why things look funny from across the room.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:
8 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Anyone who go to a store to shop, will see if the furniture break down for them

Much of the time this isn't true.  People will get teleported directly to an item or they'll walk right up to it and check it out.  I don't think most people even think about walking or camming back to check how it looks from any distance.  Then they rez items at home and wonder why things look funny from across the room.

Wow,  I got that quote to work as I wanted.  

I have said (last week I think and maybe on this thread) that the LODs (for LOD2 folks anyway) have greatly improved over the last year or so -- at least for those stores in events. I rarely see displays (well sometimes the mesh vendors with horrible LODs that should never be used) break apart -- certainly not the PRODUCTS.   

This makes me very happy.  I drives me nuts personally when I see objects in my house fall apart. I have one mesh maker that I use and really like their creativity but half of the items I toss because they turn into triangles from a few feet away.  It would be easy to FIX that, but it hasn't happened yet. 

Most of the time I don't see things breaking up in stores either. It may just be the stores that I shop at. OR, the creators know there are issues and design their displays accordingly.  But progress is there.    

There is still the "can't see the object" gacha issue of course. Some creators do put out a display at their store -- I always did -- but many times you are just taking a chance. Eventually you figure out who you can "safely" buy from.   

• Like 1