LordHappycat

Why is simple modify such a crime for mesh objects?

Question

Now, I'm a modder and I understand it when vendors elect not to choose to have their products to have Modify-enabled. They may not want their creations to be spliced or entirely reworked beyond their intention. Out of fear of the new mashed up object that person has made, to be resold and profit off of their creations. Nobody likes that, except me but that'd be only if I was a vendor myself because I encourage creativity based on my experience in taking small parts and putting them on other objects to say, turn normal boots into rave ones. But I don't re-sell these things.

However, it still boggles my mind, when not even the simple basics of modifying an object is not allowed. Like, moving the mesh object around an avatar for a better fit. I don't know, can that be called modifying? I guess. I'm just failing to see the problem in simply wanting to move an object around to better fit or maybe a simple resize.

Can anyone give me a good explanation about why it is so?

9 answers to this question

24 minutes ago, LordHappycat said:

However, it still boggles my mind, when not even the simple basics of modifying an object is not allowed. Like, moving the mesh object around an avatar for a better fit. I don't know, can that be called modifying? I guess. I'm just failing to see the problem in simply wanting to move an object around to better fit or maybe a simple resize.

Can anyone give me a good explanation about why it is so?

Not being able to move an object is because the object is "rigged" -- attached to specific body bones.  It is the rigging that allows the mesh to change size (to a degree) automatically when the body size is changed.  A hair rigged to the head should expand or shrink as the head size changes via shape adjustments.  Ditto with a mesh top or pants and changes made to the size of different body areas.  Without that, we are back to the original Standard Mesh where everyone has to adapt their size to be close to a pre-defined set of 'standard sizes'.

Many of the hair creators provide both a rigged and unrigged version in the package.  Many jewelry / accessory creators are supplying their item unrigged.  Sometimes you just have to shop around to find unrigged version of what you want.  

What type of item, in particular, are you talking about?

• Like 2

No-mod permission will not stop theft.

Anything rendered can be stolen. Mesh, rigging, weighting, textures, materials, etc.

It is arguable that no-mod promotes/encourages theft.

Another benefit to mod/copy permission with rigged mesh is the ability to consolidate attachments to save attach slots.

On 7/26/2020 at 8:01 PM, TheSarali said:

Even just for the sake of inventory organization being able to rename objects is helpful, which having an item be no-mod needlessly locks down.

this is the most painful for me, not being able to rename the Inventory listing

like we get a texture HUD with an item. We make a copy of the item and use the HUD to change the texture

with modify we can rename the copy to reflect the texture choice and we can remove the scripts in the copy easily when the HUD doesn't provide a way to do this

with no-modify we have to create a Inventory sub-folder for the texture choice item and name the sub-folder to reflect the texture choice. This is doable but is painful

is the creators choice to release their stuff as they like, but sometimes a different way of thinking about things can lead to an increase in sales

In all the years I've resized things and tinkered with objects, I've not seen nor practiced this, but I'm awfully intrigued because this could open more doors to finally come to some acceptance with rigged mesh. Seeing a lot of rigged mesh, to me, were dirty words. They were that way because whenever I attached them to my avatar, which is a classic-based avatar, I was frustrated to not be able to move the mesh object with the arrows in the build menu. Heck, not even spin them around on the rotation axis as well.

Oh, it's no particular item. It's just something that always irked me with mesh objects from time to time.

No, no..."rigged" mesh is actually a GOOD thing, mostly.

Being linked to the avatar skeleton gives rigged mesh two very useful properties.

1) It's affected by the Edit Appearance > Edit Shape sliders (many of them, anyway), so if you change your shape, it changes along with you.

2) Even more importantly, it will bend and move when you do.  An unrigged mesh gown would have all the flexibility of an anvil.

In return for those Good Things, the down side is that once rigged, a mesh object can no longer be affected by SL's inworld Edit tools.

• Like 3

On 7/12/2020 at 6:16 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

the down side is that once rigged, a mesh object can no longer be affected by SL's inworld Edit tools.

That's not entirely true.  It can't be affected by move tools, but modify permissions do still matter because texturing and tinting and various other modifications all still work just fine.  Even just for the sake of inventory organization being able to rename objects is helpful, which having an item be no-mod needlessly locks down.  The benefits of mod, even on rigged items, are quite significant and still enable a really high degree of creativity, but unfortunately they are often overlooked.  It bugs me quite a lot that SL has become so overtaken by no-modify creations.  Even the most popular bodies are no-mod nowadays, which really sucks.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2020 at 2:01 AM, TheSarali said:

That's not entirely true.  It can't be affected by move tools, but modify permissions do still matter because texturing and tinting and various other modifications all still work just fine.  Even just for the sake of inventory organization being able to rename objects is helpful, which having an item be no-mod needlessly locks down.  The benefits of mod, even on rigged items, are quite significant and still enable a really high degree of creativity, but unfortunately they are often overlooked.  It bugs me quite a lot that SL has become so overtaken by no-modify creations.  Even the most popular bodies are no-mod nowadays, which really sucks.

While I don't necessarily agree with all of the reasons that some creators have for making items no-mod, I do at least understand their point of view.

16 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

I agree. But...

People steal which makes people with stuff afraid it will get  stolen. So expect people to do what they can to protect their I.P.

Nomod only inconvenience your users.

Personal opinion here: It seem, to me that it is always the talentless hacks that are most worried about getting their stuff stolen. Everyone else just create more things and provide good support.

9 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

No-mod permission will not stop theft.

Anything rendered can be stolen. Mesh, rigging, weighting, textures, materials, etc.

It is arguable that no-mod promotes/encourages theft.

I highly suspect that this is more likely than we think. People are more likely to look for mesh ripping tools when they are locked out of basic inworld editing.

On 7/26/2020 at 1:01 AM, TheSarali said:

... Even the most popular bodies are no-mod nowadays, which really sucks.

I agree. But...

People steal which makes people with stuff afraid it will get  stolen. So expect people to do what they can to protect their I.P.

• Like 1