Why is simple modify such a crime for mesh objects?

LordHappycat

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1170 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Now, I'm a modder and I understand it when vendors elect not to choose to have their products to have Modify-enabled. They may not want their creations to be spliced or entirely reworked beyond their intention. Out of fear of the new mashed up object that person has made, to be resold and profit off of their creations. Nobody likes that, except me but that'd be only if I was a vendor myself because I encourage creativity based on my experience in taking small parts and putting them on other objects to say, turn normal boots into rave ones. But I don't re-sell these things.

However, it still boggles my mind, when not even the simple basics of modifying an object is not allowed. Like, moving the mesh object around an avatar for a better fit. I don't know, can that be called modifying? I guess. I'm just failing to see the problem in simply wanting to move an object around to better fit or maybe a simple resize.

Can anyone give me a good explanation about why it is so?

Some of the merchants in SL use full perm mesh in their creations.. Most of full perm mesh creators have it listed in their EULA that the final item MUST be no mod. So, its not always the final merchants fault that the item is No Mod. If we sell it as mod/copy the creator can and will file a DMCA and have those items pulled. One creator ahs it listed that you cant use their products as group gifts. I had them threaten a DMCA for all of their items i sold on the MP because i had a group gift out.. As i am one lonely person and not a team of people with a full sim and thousands of $ to pay legal fees, i simply put my group gift on the MP for $299L and left it free inworld. And that satisfied them.

See, if we dont abide by the creators EULA, they can:

A) ban us from their store and or MP 

B) file a DMCA and get our store emptied

C) generally make our lives hell by diming us out to other Full Perm Makers.

So please, stop telling us we have to do something that jeopardizes our stores and livelyhood. 

• Like 3

I sell No Mod mostly. I do advertise that on all my main vendor pictures as standard. My reason for selling No Mod is that people kept messing up their mods and then expected me to fix them. Even when i specifically stated that i am not giving any guarantees on mods. This resulted in quite the workload for me and also quite a few insults from people that i gave bad service for not wanting to fix their mishaps. I do offer a variety of mod options via my products menus (custom color, resizing, etc) 

I am very much aware that i am loosing sales because of this but, outside of the occasional rant about by stuff being No Mod, i enjoy the peace and quiet and can focus on creating and running my business.

43 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

quite a few people who do provide Mod, don't ever get into correspondence for all the reasons that you mention. They just send their customer a replacement copy or direct them to their inworld redelivery vendor. When selling on Marketplace then send a proforma IM telling their customer to get a Redeliver

I did that as well. In my case it is cars, People want to Mod their car and one of the first mods they want to do is change the wheels. These are scripted to work in conjunction with the main car script. Not just a matter of swapping them out. I would tell them this and then point out that the car is also copy. So they had a fresh copy they could use in their inventory. Then they would get really insulting and demand i change the wheels. At no cost of course. So i just decided to just sell No Mod.

5 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

I believe no-modify is mostly an anti-consumer choice.

Yes-Mod can be too. It does not help much to make a mesh build mod, cause the mesh itself does not allow too many modifications. That causes some frustration among people who purchased in the belief that they can mod the build substantially.

Regarding scripts: A scripter who sells scripts full permission won´t sell any scripts anymore in the near future. 😋

Edited by Vivienne Schell

On 1/27/2021 at 12:32 AM, Alwin Alcott said:

why?
what you say now is that it shouldn't be allowed to sell their items as they do ... but they áre, and buyers have the right to look elsewhere without questions asked.

Where did I say that they shouldn't be allowed to sell their items as they do?  I don't recall saying that.  There's an argument to be made for that since it's essentially the equivalent of someone selling you a shirt and saying you can't buy it then bring it home and tie-dye it if you wanted to, which I think people would consider to be pretty ridiculous.  But I don't believe I said anywhere that they shouldn't be allowed to, just that I wish more buyers would make use of that right to look elsewhere and not give money to these artificially limited, no-mod items.  There's a difference between wishing more people would act a certain way, which is what I did, and demanding that somebody shouldn't be able to do a certain something, which is not what I did but is what you're saying I did.

On 1/27/2021 at 8:22 AM, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Some of the merchants in SL use full perm mesh in their creations.. Most of full perm mesh creators have it listed in their EULA that the final item MUST be no mod. So, its not always the final merchants fault that the item is No Mod. If we sell it as mod/copy the creator can and will file a DMCA and have those items pulled. One creator ahs it listed that you cant use their products as group gifts. I had them threaten a DMCA for all of their items i sold on the MP because i had a group gift out.. As i am one lonely person and not a team of people with a full sim and thousands of $ to pay legal fees, i simply put my group gift on the MP for $299L and left it free inworld. And that satisfied them.

See, if we dont abide by the creators EULA, they can:

A) ban us from their store and or MP 

B) file a DMCA and get our store emptied

C) generally make our lives hell by diming us out to other Full Perm Makers.

So please, stop telling us we have to do something that jeopardizes our stores and livelyhood. 

That sucks and I've heard that, but it was your choice to buy from those full perm mesh creators that have those sorts of restrictions.  Don't get me wrong, that's incredibly dumb that they do that imo and those full perm mesh creators should absolutely not be selling their meshes with the limitation that you can't sell them mod.  But when they do something like that, why buy from them and support their restrictions with your money?  If nobody bought from them, especially if they received a number of complaints about it from potential customers, then they I imagine wouldn't sell them like that.  It's such a weird restriction in the first place.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Frustration caused by different expectations is not anti-consumer, and taking away the possibility of editing an object because "you can't edit it anyway" is just wrong and false.

I dislike no mod items as much as you do, but there really are a few valid reasons for distributing certain things "no mod". Almost every creator of avatar clothes sells no mod, and these people are not malicious or anti-user biased, in my opinion.

6 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

why?
what you say now is that it shouldn't be allowed to sell their items as they do ... but they áre, and buyers have the right to look elsewhere without questions asked.

But where else are you going to find particular items that they've made?
Without resorting to A) Copybotting B) Making it yourself or C) Hampering the Creator over the permissions.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1170 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.