Portraits of Friendship

So the four of us kicked this off, and it was chaotic, managing the surfboards and where we stood...................

Eventually we got the right alignment and became five..................

@Scylla Rhiadra, @TatianaNikolay me @Saskia Rieko @Eva Knoller

Just to say, we are not an Elite group. If anyone would like to join us and you're in world when we are doing this, and have the right outfit, you are welcome to drop by. Timing tends to be 0700 SLT up to maybe 0900 SLT. Three are USA an two Europe, so this timing works for us.

SL223.jpg

SL209.jpg

• Like 14

26 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Just to say, we are not an Elite group.

Sure we are!

It's just that we think that anyone can be elite too! Our definition of friendship is inclusive, and our ideal for community open and welcoming!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

If you are very lucky, you have a friend, or maybe even friends, with whom you feel so sympatico that you are immediately comfortable and at home with them. Friends who, while unique in ways that make them invaluable companions, also mirror enough of your outlook and understanding that you feel a little as though you've known them, and they've known you, forever.

@Eva Knoller resides in a different country, thousands of miles away from where I live, but I recognized in her early on something of a kindred spirit. She's liberal-minded in ways that I hope I am, and sensible and down-to-earth in ways that I wish I were. I feel comfortable talking about pretty much anything with her. She is, as I told her before we took this pic, the sort of friend I can imagine meeting for regular weekly movie or theatre evenings, or coffee and shopping dates.

Here, we are grabbing a quick covert smoke during the intermission of a play we are watching. (Neither of us is regular smokers in RL, but . . . hey, it's our night out!)

Thanks Eva.

1815670807_Eva-BW-Blank.thumb.png.46ac8c0b916d2dd951c74ab6ffa62c04.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

On 7/22/2020 at 1:13 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

If you are very lucky, you have a friend, or maybe even friends, with whom you feel so sympatico that you are immediately comfortable and at home with them. Friends who, while unique in ways that make them invaluable companions, also mirror enough of your outlook and understanding that you feel a little as though you've known them, and they've known you, forever.

@Eva Knoller resides in a different country, thousands of miles away from where I live, but I recognized in her early on something of a kindred spirit. She's liberal-minded in ways that I hope I am, and sensible and down-to-earth in ways that I wish I were. I feel comfortable talking about pretty much anything with her. She is, as I told her before we took this pic, the sort of friend I can imagine meeting for regular weekly movie or theatre evenings, or coffee and shopping dates.

Here, we are grabbing a quick covert smoke during the intermission of a play we are watching. (Neither of us is regular smokers in RL, but . . . hey, it's our night out!)

Thanks Eva.

1815670807_Eva-BW-Blank.thumb.png.46ac8c0b916d2dd951c74ab6ffa62c04.png

I just love this pic!!!. It can be interpreted in so many ways!!! And the glamour!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Laika Ravikumar said:

@BelindaN

Actually it is kind of Elitist, I know wont make me popular but am past that. Not everyone has the cash to just find the outfit believe it or not. 

Psst...if you spend enough time, you can find beautiful outfits and shoes for almost nothing ...or free!!!! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Laika Ravikumar said:

and as an aside I do know what I am talking about :)

I'm not trying to argue. I started with $50 RL , and was cheated out of it with empty boxes. Then Covid forced me to remove my RL credit card. I can afford all kinds of things now.

50 minutes ago, Laika Ravikumar said:

@BelindaN

Actually it is kind of Elitist, I know wont make me popular but am past that. Not everyone has the cash to just find the outfit believe it or not. 

It's not the outfit, Laika! It's the friend(s)! And you don't need an outfit to celebrate those.

I know for a fact that you have lots of friends -- I could list some of them here. It would be lovely if you took some pics of some of them with you, and posted them here! We'd love to see them!

• Like 1

Just to say, we are not an Elite group. If anyone would like to join us and you're in world when we are doing this, and have the right outfit, you are welcome to drop by. 

That would seem to suggest otherwise.

4 hours ago, Damasyn said:

Just to say, we are not an Elite group. If anyone would like to join us and you're in world when we are doing this, and have the right outfit, you are welcome to drop by. 

That would seem to suggest otherwise.

It might be useful to make a distinction between friendship, which doesn't require props or clothing at all, and the necessities of one particular themed photo.

You don't need a surfboard and wet suit to be our friends, join our community, and take part in other activities, including photos.

On the other hand, if you want to be in a pic that is actually about surfing, then showing up in a ballgown is probably going to be an issue. Had I not wanted to buy the outfit and board, I'd have simply sat out the pic. Doing so wouldn't have made the others "elitist," nor would it have ended my friendship with them. It would simply have meant that I chose, for whatever reason, not to participate in that one particular photo.

Conversely, anyone who thinks they are being excluded from being our friends, part of our community, etc., because they can't or don't want to purchase whatever props might be appropriate for a single photo shoot is probably not understanding the meaning of "friendship" very fully.

That's surely pretty logical, no?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

i don't have a pic but I had a friend ages ago, Master Pye. He was a little frog in a top hat

my Home in those days was OIP, back before the region became part of the LDPW. Used to go up by the temple and hang out and chat to people coming by there.  And go over to the sandbox on HIP and make stuff. Then take whatever was made over to Pooley island and blow it up.  Was a few of us who used to that in those days. A make stuff circle, kinda friends but more about the making stuff really and blowing it up with lots of noise and particles and physics, it being our common interest: OIP-HIP-Pooley, making stuff and being really noisy

Master Pye comes by one day and we got chatting like you do. Then after a few times of coming by he asks if he can friend me. I say yes ok if you want, but I am not a very good friend. Never IM anyone and I don't notice when I get IMs because I turned off all the alerts

he laughs and says he is not a very good friend either. So we got along on that basis, only ever chatted when we saw each other inworld. He was quite knowledgeable about all kinds of things RL and SL.  He has passed since in the RL and when I am in SL at that time of year I go over to Pooley and light a candle for my mentor and friend Master Pye

• Like 5

I really have no problems with Elitism, as long as everyone can become a part of the Elite if they work hard enough. And never look down on anyone, and remember where they started from!!!

I met @Eva Knoller here on forum and after several photo collaboration we had, we decided, together with Scylla and Belinda, to get a land together. Now we are housemates.

Eva is a great friend. She has awesome sense of humor and she is definitely my shopping-event mate. Today we decided to have a virtual breakfast together (although for me it was rather a very late lunch or a very early dinner) just to celebrate a moment on our lovely beach.

I wish I could say more but expressing feelings and emotions is not my primary skill. So I will simply say: thank you Eva, for being an awesome friend!

20200803fs_025ccc.png

Edited by Saskia Rieko
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1