Portraits of Friendship

Friendship -- the close or casual connections we make with other people in Second Life -- is one of the most important, but perhaps least discussed aspects of our virtual lives here.

This thread is for photographs that feature representations of friendship in Second Life. Show us your friendships in visual form! We want to explore the ways in which we can use SL photography (and video) to capture the essence and meanings of our friendships.

Any and all pictures on that theme are welcome, but it would be particularly valuable and enlightening to see how SL photography can be used as a tool to display the laughter, fun, intimacy, support, caring, and all-important connection that we experience with each other in this virtual world!

When you post your picture. tell us a little bit about the friendship that you're showing us! What kind of connection is it? And if you have any insights into how best to represent friendship on virtual film, tell us about them!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Well...........I founded the Forum Angels Group a long time ago now, for the purpose of collaborating to do photographs, and to encourage real friendships between forum regulars. It has worked well. A large number of my in world friends are from the forums, and we have a lot of fun collaborating.

I recently took advice from my close associates, and abandoned my first Linden Home, and I was lucky enough to drop on a trailer, which to my delight was close to the trailer of Miakis the Usagi. She doesn't know this yet but I'll be hoping to do a collaboration down the line.

So after some hard work, my trailer is about ready and I invited @Eva Knoller, @Saskia Rieko, and @Scylla Rhiadra over for cheese and wine as the sun went down.

This is what SL/Forum friendships can deliver, if hanging out with friends is what you enjoy!

Image 1 L to R, me, Eva, Saskia

Image 2 me , and Eva in front

Image 3 L to R me, Eva and Scylla

I love my trailer, or as we say here......Caravan.  We chat continously, we talk fashion, we share tips, we make plans, it's all very real life. :)

SL134.jpg

SL139.jpg

SL144.jpg

Edited by BelindaN
  • Like 18

Two very close friends of mine who I consider sisters; Holly with me in green and Mika with the bunneh ears. Holly has known me close on 10 yeaars, Mika close on 7 years however both are very dear to me and stood by me through my ups and downs plus both were maid of honours to my two weddings (Holly as MoH for my wedding to my husband and Mika as MoH for my wedding to my wife) and I treasure the bond I have with both as we have such fun together. :) 

holly n sis.png

Akira and Seren.png

• Like 15

One long-term friend I have in Second Life is Eye. I met him when he was newbie, and helped him a little bit, like I was helped in my early days. Our friendship may have lasted as long as it has because he logs in only rarely, BUT we talk via email and on the phone in real life a lot too. He is my confidante, a fellow Brit with a particular sense of humour that not everybody 'gets'.  He helped me with this set of photographs, after I was telling him I was back in touch with a real life boyfriend from school days. Because of the covid situation, the plan RL boyfriend had for re-enacting some photo booths snaps we had taken in 1978 just never happened - and I think that moment may be well and truly over.  I was talking to Eye about the situation, and he said "Next time we're in world at the same time, grab me and we'll do the photos". So we did! And these photos are now as special as the ones made in real life all those years ago.  Not exact copies of the originals, but I was pleased with the outcome.

booth 1.jpg

booth 2.jpg

booth 3.jpg

nostalgia tripping.jpg

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

@Marigold Devin - that's a poignant story, and these are lovely pics. This is exactly what this thread is about. Thank you.

Originals we worked from - hope it's ok to add real life here? Real life boyfriend says it's all ancient history (!) so is ok to do. 

And the lovely thing about Eye, in the photo re-enactment above, is he's willing to be just my friend, never pushes for more, does have a girlfriend in real life who is absolutely lovely, but she won't come into Second Life on her own account. Refreshing it seems to be to have a friend of the opposite sex in Second Life who really does just want a friendship. 

(I've got 24 hours to edit though, right?! Just in case real life chap has second thoughts about me sharing these a-n-c-i-e-n-t photos.)

1978 originals.jpg

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Originals we worked from - hope it's ok to add real life here? Real life boyfriend says it's all ancient history (!) so is ok to do. 

(I've got 24 hours to edit though, right?! Just in case he has second thoughts.)

1978 originals.jpg

I have no issues at all of you posting these! They are very relevant to your pics, and to the theme of the thread. 

And they are completely adorable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There really is something a bit special about virtual embodiment.

Here's a picture of me with three women with whom I chat on Discord and through IMs in-world pretty frequently. The bond is real. But being "present" together in the same place, sharing the same visual experience, and reading how we each of us communicates who we are through our virtual bodies and clothing, adds a very new dimension to that friendship.

We weren't chatting about anything very consequential. That didn't matter. The connection did.

From left to right: @Saskia Rieko, @Eva Knoller, @BelindaN, and me.

(Sorry, Belinda about the back of your head, but you did insist upon sticking your tongue out all the time.)

PJ-Party-1-Blank.thumb.png.ad8c37ab35faa45de7699899ab096bf6.png

• Like 20
  • Haha 1

I had been quite lonely for most of my SL time. It is over 12 years now, with a break. All my past friends are gone - either stopped logging in or changed names, avatars or simply not interested in reconnecting. But this year has been really good to me. I have met so many residents, mostly from this forum but not only. I have made amazing friendships. I have visited amazing places in SL with my new friends. They have supported me in everything I have been doing - just in daily S-life, during my short break, on my path to develop my interests like SL photography, when I launched my first small gallery in SL. We have had our get-togethers and other occasional meetings, chats, laughs. I am so happy to have you guys.

@Scylla Rhiadra @BelindaN @Eva Knoller and on the picture below @Stranger Hoxley

20200628fs_020.png

20200628fs_027c.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Saskia Rieko said:

But this year has been really good to me. I have met so many residents, mostly from this forum but not only. I have made amazing friendships. I have visited amazing places in SL with my new friends. They have supported me in everything I have been doing - just in daily S-life, during my short break, on my path to develop my interests like SL photography, when I launched my first small gallery in SL. We have had our get-togethers and other occasional meetings, chats, laughs. I am so happy to have you guys.

This.

Second Life can be, of course, so many things, but surely one of the most important is a place to reach out beyond our own social, national, and geographical bubbles, and connect with other amazing people whom we might never have otherwise known and come to love.

It's a really wonderful thing, isn't it?

• Like 8

I had to include this shot, if only because I only caught the back of @BelindaN's head in the previous one (and she has a lovely avi!), and also because it shows @Saskia Rieko's face buried in a margarita. (I'm sure that the fact that one of the shoulder straps of her nightie has slipped down has nothing to do with how many of these she consumed.)

ETA: I just want to say . . . we said pajama party. Those were the words, we used! Pajamas. So, of course, when I was looking for something to wear, I carefully put aside all of my pretty nighties and robes, and chose the plainest PJ top and bottoms . . . with socks! . . . that I could find. How was I to know that everyone else was going all glam??? Right?

PJ-Party-2-Blank.thumb.png.dce479c18ed9f27bb1cf1585b7861ecd.png

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 9
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This.

Second Life can be, of course, so many things, but surely one of the most important is a place to reach out beyond our own social, national, and geographical bubbles, and connect with other amazing people whom we might never have otherwise known and come to love.

It's a really wonderful thing, isn't it?

It is a wonderful thing! SL can sometimes feel like a very empty and lonely place, even in the midst of a lot of avatars. Finding people to connect with makes the experience so much better.

These are my favorite photos of our get together today! We chatted, we "drank" (especially Sakia :D), we laughed. I am already looking forward to our next one, and @TatianaNikolay has promised to join us!

Snapshot_917l.thumb.jpg.08c86d14048f52014dc29454c31dce77.jpgSnapshot_930h.thumb.jpg.0ef0d66256cbdb08177ea3ff12609c92.jpgSnapshot_937j.thumb.jpg.7dbb9dca1281b6f89d9897177ee694bd.jpg

• Like 15

21 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

@MrsSeren - I know how much your SL relationships mean to you, and how important they are. Thank you for sharing these!

Thank you, yes I'm an introvert and don't talk a great deal but my friends are my world for me as are my sl husband and wife.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

There really is something a bit special about virtual embodiment.

Here's a picture of me with three women with whom I chat on Discord and through IMs in-world pretty frequently. The bond is real. But being "present" together in the same place, sharing the same visual experience, and reading how we each of us communicates who we are through our virtual bodies and clothing, adds a very new dimension to that friendship.

We weren't chatting about anything very consequential. That didn't matter. The connection did.

From left to right: @Saskia Rieko, @Eva Knoller, @BelindaN, and me.

(Sorry, Belinda about the back of your head, but you did insist upon sticking your tongue out all the time.)

PJ-Party-1-Blank.thumb.png.ad8c37ab35faa45de7699899ab096bf6.png

A different day, a different head on in real life and I come to look at all these photos again, of you as a group, chatting away, and each person's photos, each camera angle, tells a slightly different story, but all have that atmosphere of women getting together for a good old chin wag, and there's nothing better than nightwear for helping break down any barriers.  Belinda's back looks as good as the front, with the sunlight dappling through the windows. I don't think I'm ever that sociable in world - not since I used to go to a coffee house with Janelle round about 2010-11 ish.  

• Like 6

We have so many pictures for this thread, so I’ll start off with my favourite. Not much of a story to tell, just three best friends celebrating a birthday. But I just love how this picture came out. And they helped me have such a great day & I’m forever thankful to have these two in my life. 💕 It’s crazy, we’ve only been hanging out for a few months but the three of us have said we all feel like we’ve known eachother for a life time. The best kind of friendship imo. I love you girls ❤️ @PixieGirrrrl @JenniexKim

64981625-9FBE-4068-B6FA-88C1B48F5FD0.jpeg

• Like 16

3 hours ago, Alexis Kiyori said:

It’s crazy, we’ve only been hanging out for a few months but the three of us have said we all feel like we’ve known eachother for a life time. The best kind of friendship imo. I love you girls ❤️

Well, that's pretty adorable!! And yes, the three of you look like you belong together!

• Like 8