Make Us Laugh!

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

Sorry - I though you were dissing her for posting a joke about homeless people.  I'll remove my comments.

🙂 

No problem!

I was providing a similar joke, so we could all share in the irony of humor together! I tried really hard to make my post ambiguous. The "best comedy" is supposedly subtle.  Sorry if I didn't do well! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Now I'm confused! My post wasn't funny? 😞

I'm confused why you left a laugh emoji in the first place. I also thought your post was commentary on the one above it. I then tried to find a cartoon about a guy wearing gold sneakers not wanting to give money to a homeless person, but then decided not to add to the drama.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I'm confused why you left a laugh emoji in the first place. I also though your post was commentary on the one above it. I then tried to find a cartoon about a guy wearing gold sneakers not wanting to give money to a homeless person, but then decided not to add to the drama.

Complicated!!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Memes are funny!

Laughing Through the Pain: Funny Cancer Memes — The Hopeful Warrior - My  Journey with Hodgkin Lymphoma

That's enormously crass, especially when viewed by someone who went through chemo several months ago and is still taking cancer drugs.  You made your point about memes several posts ago.  This is just not funny nor does it add to your argument (which frankly is as clear as mud anyway).

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
Chemo brain for real
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

That's enormously crass, especially when viewed by someone who went through chemo several months ago and is still taking cancer drugs.  You made your point about memes several posts ago.  This is just not funny nor does it add to your argument (which frankly is as clear as mud anyway).

Sorry about your health issues and I wish you godspeed in your recovery. I understand why this upset you.  But I think Love intends to hold up a mirror to those with a penchant for insensitive jokes. I know poverty firsthand and didn't find the homeless joke funny. I posted a poverty joke before; there's a difference between not knowing how to be rich by mispronouncing brand names you don't normally buy and not having enough money to pay rent.

Edited by PermaRuthed

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Got it! Crass jokes about politicians falling off bicycles, not giving a dollar to homeless people, etc. are fine, but crass jokes about cancer cross a line. Got it!

One way to tell if a joke is crossing a line or not is whether it punches up or punches down. Making fun of politician is generally considered punching up, unless one is making fun of them having cancer or having a loved one die, for instance.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps the lesson is to read the house better. When much of the audience is middle-aged (or older), it's probably best to go light on jokes about things that they worry most about -- like getting older and getting cancer. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PermaRuthed said:

Sorry about your health issues and I wish you godspeed in your recovery. I understand why this upset you.  But I think Love intends to hold up a mirror to those with a penchant for insensitive jokes. I know poverty firsthand and didn't find the homeless joke funny. I posted a poverty joke before; there's a difference between not knowing how to be rich by mispronouncing brand names you don't normally buy and not having enough money to pay rent.

While I have never been homeless, I grew up on the edge and it was a constant daily struggle and worry for most of my childhood.  However, I did still chuckle at the homeless joke.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Got it! Crass jokes about politicians falling off bicycles, not giving a dollar to homeless people, etc. are fine, but crass jokes about cancer cross a line. Got it!

Jokes about politicians are almost always okay -- except where noted by Persephone.

Homeless jokes are probably an edge case - there are some that I would chuckle at and others that I would feel are too much. 

I probably wouldn't do any jokes about illnesses at all.  Having any sort of medical condition pretty much just totally sucks, so I just think it is over the line to joke about such things.  Side note on that though - I do know folks that will make fun of their own medical issues as a way of keeping the negative feelings about it at bay.

Rolig mentioned growing old and while I am over the 60 hill, I still do laugh at most 'old people' jokes.  For me, it actually keeps me from getting depressed about my age.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

While I have never been homeless, I grew up on the edge and it was a constant daily struggle and worry for most of my childhood.  However, I did still chuckle at the homeless joke.

Feast and famine comes to mind in my case and the homeless joke seemed so apropos that I laughed. I didn't laugh at follow up post that tried to take a swipe at the very segment of the population that helped out of those situations.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Rolig mentioned growing old and while I am over the 60 hill, I still do laugh at most 'old people' jokes.  For me, it actually keeps me from getting depressed about my age.

Yeah, I'm pretty much the same personally.  I don't mind being old and my parents have been gone for ages. I have a friend in her 60s who just buried her 93-year-old mother on Friday, though, so I know she lived with worries about her mom's age for quite a while.  I would never joke with her about age because it was just too much on her mind all the time.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I would never joke with her about age because it was just too much on her mind all the time.

As you said, it's all about reading the room.  There are definitely some people that I would never joke with about age, my own mom included.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PermaRuthed said:

11 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Thank you for your well-wishes, @PermaRuthed .  Both of you are missing the point,  however, which is something I've already said.  It's one thing to post a mocking meme in response to something one doesn't find funny - that makes a point.  It's quite another to continue posting mocking memes, as though they were in themselves funny.  @Love Zhaoying, I know criticism can be painful but even if you don't feel sorry about it I suggest you take your postings to your church and get the opinion of your pastor.

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
  • Like 2