Unknown visitors?

VonWulfen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, VonWulfen said:

Hello all.

On my arrival at home today, I noticed that my fire place had turned off.

Could it have been a visitor calling in while I was offline?

Could be. I use a visitor counter log that I found waaaaay back in 2005 lol. Still works too. Every day when I log in, I check the log to see if anyone was there while I was away. It gives me the full name of any avatar that came within range. 

Maybe there is something on the marketplace like this that you can use? 

• Like 2

I have never used a visitor counter, but there are cheap ones on the Marketplace. I have no idea if this is good, but it is cheap and the store has lots of good reviews, even if no one has reviewed this yet. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Doormat-Script-With-Avatar-Sensor-Detector-V3-Intruder-Alert-Visitor-List-Time-Index/14053856

Maybe someone has a free script they can share, too.

• Thanks 1

RE:visitor counters.  I'd go with newer ones.  Old ones use llSensor to detect all avatars within a radius.  It's a pretty laggy technology.  Newer ones just check whether there's anyone in your parcel (there's a much less laggy command for that),.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Darron Turner said:

Could be. I use a visitor counter log that I found waaaaay back in 2005 lol. Still works too. Every day when I log in, I check the log to see if anyone was there while I was away. It gives me the full name of any avatar that came within range. 

I do too, mine is a Linden one.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Or someone clicked on the fireplace because they liked it, and wanted to inspect it and find the creators name. And they turned off the fireplace when they clicked on it.

It is a very nice fireplace.

10 minutes ago, 93YearOld said:

I broke mine down to one LI, removed the excess parts.

11 minutes ago, Darron Turner said:

I think mine may be too. 

13 minutes ago, 93YearOld said:

I do too, mine is a Linden one.

15 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

RE:visitor counters.  I'd go with newer ones.  Old ones use llSensor to detect all avatars within a radius.  It's a pretty laggy technology.  Newer ones just check whether there's anyone in your parcel (there's a much less laggy command for that),.

18 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

It could also be someone camming over and clicking from another location. At any rate, I believe @Nikki Mathieson has free visitor counters in her LH display at the RLF event, if you want to pick up one of those.

19 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I have never used a visitor counter, but there are cheap ones on the Marketplace. I have no idea if this is good, but it is cheap and the store has lots of good reviews, even if no one has reviewed this yet. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Doormat-Script-With-Avatar-Sensor-Detector-V3-Intruder-Alert-Visitor-List-Time-Index/14053856

Maybe someone has a free script they can share, too.

23 minutes ago, Darron Turner said:

Many thanks all.

I can hardly hear the fire so I dont think its that. I have only just set my music on, so not that.

Can they do anything unpleasant like take or move items etc?

3 minutes ago, VonWulfen said:

Many thanks all.

I can hardly hear the fire so I dont think its that. I have only just set my music on, so not that.

Can they do anything unpleasant like take or move items etc?

Not unless you have given them permission to edit your objects, or have set the objects to share with a group, and that person is a member of that group. Even then, they could only move the items. I'm not aware (off the top of my head) of any way someone can just take your stuff. 

ETA: The only annoying thing I can think of that someone can do to your items is, if they are texture-change, click and change the texture. That is a pet peeve of mine when someone "redecorates" for me! lol

ETA again: Many texture-change items let you set permissions for that in a menu. Just FYI in case it's an issue for you.

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Not unless you have given them permission to edit your objects, or have set the objects to share with a group, and that person is a member of that group. Even then, they could only move the items. I'm not aware (off the top of my head) of any way someone can just take your stuff. 

ETA: The only annoying thing I can think of that someone can do to your items is, if they are texture-change, click and change the texture. That is a pet peeve of mine when someone "redecorates" for me! lol

ETA again: Many texture-change items let you set permissions for that in a menu. Just FYI in case it's an issue for you.

Many thanks :) Im not so worried now that I know they cant really do any harm :)

• Like 2

• Moles

No one can take or move things owned by you unless you give them permissions either by granting them modify rights, sharing the object with a group, or setting the object itself so anyone can move it. 

Something I've always recommended to people if you don't want random people changing or using things like fireplaces, lights, chairs, *coughs* beds... is to see if the items themselves can be set via the script so only the owner or group members (if it is set to a group) have access to those features. 

And Nika is correct. Those old style visitor monitors can very much add to script lag depending on how they were made and how often they scan an area for avatars within range. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

Something I've always recommended to people if you don't want random people changing or using things like fireplaces, lights, chairs, *coughs* beds... is to see if the items themselves can be set via the script so only the owner or group members (if it is set to a group) have access to those features. 

For those items that don't have the script included, an AV security script can be purchased on Marketplace. I use it in all my *coughs* beds. 

• Haha 3

MANY fireplaces and lamps (and some furniture) let anyone turn them on and off, open doors and switch textures.  So as mentioned this is probably all that happened.  IF you have a mod item that you don't want folks to change (like a textured chair for example) you can remove the script and scrub the contents (scrubber script) and keep the chair in the texture that YOU want. I had to do this often at LEA20, LEA6, and LEA7 :D.   I also went around closing woodstove doors a lot and turning off showers (wasteful folks!!! :D). 

I have always had open door policies in my homes so I don't care who visits.  No adult furniture so mostly people just wandered in to look LOL. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, VonWulfen said:

Hello all.

On my arrival at home today, I noticed that my fire place had turned off.

Could it have been a visitor calling in while I was offline?

Yes. It may have been me. It's a thing I do (now everyone can go and add me to their banned list). I also change colour-change rugs. I just cannot help myself. 

Bad bad Marigold. 

• Haha 7

As Abnor says, if you make the simplest basic settings on About Land, nobody can mess with your stuff.  Like Chic and a lot of other people, I really don't care who might wander in while I'm not there.  They can't do anything, and I have nothing to hide.  And if someone visits while I am there -- a really rare event -- they usually leave as soon as they realize I'm around.  I can count the number of people I have banned or ejected on the fingers of one hand .

• Like 3

It's script Christmas!

If you have something that you sit on to use,  that's Mod, and  that you don't want anyone out of group to use, and it has no 'access' menu, you can just put this script into it.  Note that you can add a list of avies who can use it no matter what group they're in, and of course the owner can always use it regardless.

To import this into a script inworld, copy it into your clipboard, choose "New Script" in your inventory inworld, paste in the text, and Save.  Name it & set permissions.  Voila, you're a scripter.

// GroupOnly
// created 1/2020 by Nika Talaj

// Script to ensure that a piece of furniture can only be used by group members.  If someone sits
// who is not in group NOR the object owner NOR in the list APPROVED of avatars who can always use,
// the sitter will be unsat and a polite message will be said to him/her.
//

// ---- Globals ------------------------------

// Put in list UUIDs of avatars who can sit on item regardless of group, each in quotes, separated by commas
list APPROVED = [];

integer original_prims;

// ---- SUBROUTINES ------------------------------

init()
{
    original_prims = llGetObjectPrimCount(llGetKey());            // object prim count not including sitters

}  // end init

// -----------------------------------------------

// ---- STATE PROCESSING -------------------------
// -----------------------------------------------

default {

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

state_entry () {
        init();
    }

changed(integer change)
    {
        key sitter;
        integer num_prims;
        integer i;

if (change & CHANGED_LINK) {
            // starting at the most recent sitter, count down and check each one to see if in group.
            // Note that if multiple sitters, this will find any unauthorized sitters, but may result
            // in checking previous sitters multiple times, as will get event for each new sitter

num_prims = llGetNumberOfPrims();            // get it before avie moves!
            if (num_prims > original_prims) {            // someone is sitting on object
                for (i= num_prims; i > original_prims; i--) {
                    sitter = llGetLinkKey(i);
                    if (sitter != NULL_KEY) {   //maybe somebody got up
                        // if sitter is not in group or always approved lis
                        if (!llSameGroup(sitter) && (llListFindList(APPROVED, [(string)sitter]) == -1) && (sitter != llGetOwner())) {
                            llRegionSayTo(sitter, 0, "Apologies, this item can only be used by group members.");
                            llSleep(0.5);        // delay to avoid flying on unsit
                            llUnSit(sitter);
                        }
                    } //end someone sitting
                } //endfor

} // endif someone sitting

} // endif changed link

} // end changed event

on_rez(integer start)
    {
        init();

}  // end onrez

}

Edited by Nika Talaj
oops only works for things you sit on!
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I've had this happen. Someone changed my bathroom set to bright yellow. Found the permission setting in the menu and it hasn't been an issue since. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marigold Devin said:

Yes. It may have been me. It's a thing I do (now everyone can go and add me to their banned list). I also change colour-change rugs. I just cannot help myself. 

Bad bad Marigold. 

I would never ban someone for this, it really is an easy fix.  I have a lag/prim counter in the water underneath my houseboat and sometimes it is on when I log in.  I find it amusing.  I am always having to turn it off.  My place is open to everyone, I don't care who goes on my property and I don't care if people use my things.  Parcel is set to privacy if you want to have fun on the houseboat.  :D

• Thanks 1

It's also possible that the fireplace in question had a timer on it.

My own light script for example is set to only turn on when the SL day schedule for the region it's in says the sun is down, and an avatar is present. It checks this every 3 minutes, and if both conditions are not met, it turns off the lights.

- I have seen similar things in candles and fireplaces, set to run at night only for example.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Garnet Psaltery said:
3 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

*coughs* beds... 

3 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

*coughs* beds. 

You poor things, coughing in beds.  Might you be allergic to something in the pillows?

Maybe they have corona -  perhaps they should be isolated in a Meadowbrook house for 14 days just in case 🤣

• Haha 8

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.