someone took control of my avatar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1512 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a question, last night I was in a sandbox trying to adjust a patch I had applied to my jacket. When I zoomed back out, I got quite a surprise. Someone had stretched both of my arms out really long, and one leg. then they made my avatar start flopping around on the ground like a fish.  I did not know it was possible to take control of someone elses avatar let alone do this kind of crap to it. What were they using on me and how to stop it from happening again in the future? Any help would be appreciated. Luckily for me, when I teleported home, my avatar was fine. I went back to see if I could figure out who had done it, and the sandbox was empty.

It sounds like you stumbled onto a deformer. Those used to be popular griefer gadgets many years ago but I haven't seen one for a long time. They don't "take control" of your avatar, but they animate it, usually after you have sat on or worn something that contains the animating script.  As you found,the effect usually doesn't survive a relog and often doesn't even survive a teleport. It's a sophomoric trick, annoying but otherwise harmless. You can avoid it by being careful about what you wear or sit on, but the best way is to avoid going to that sandbox again. There are also undeformer devices around that can cure you.  I used to have one ages ago but I can't find it now.

• Like 3

It sounds a little like the "Soul Seize" attack. 

Someone can send you an animation request, or rez an object and invite you to sit on it.  If you accept the offer, or sit on the object, that person acquires the permission to animate your avatar, and the permission is permanent.  Then, any time that the two of you are in the same region, he can animate your avatar without your further permission.  (The bizarre deformation you experienced is also a form of animation.)

There are some things you can do to investigate and possibly fix this.  First, look at the attachments you are wearing.  If any of them were given to you as a gift, especially by a person you suspect as being the culprit, detach them.  Next, look at your active Gestures.  If any of them were given to you by someone, right click them and deactivate them.

If you use the Firestorm viewer, go to Preferences > Firestorm tab > Protection sub tab, and change Revoke Permissions to "Revoke on Sit or Stand".  NOTE:  This will mess up the operation of multi-animation furniture like beds; you'll want to re-set this when using those things.)  This is a preventive measure to keep from getting tricked by this type of practical joke in the future.

For the current situation, if it happens again, go to Firestorm's Avatar menu and choose Avatar Health > Stop Animations and Revoke Permissions.  The "Undeform Avatar" command in the same menu may also prove useful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is strange because I certainly did NOT accept anything, or click anything to allow and did not sit. I never allow from sources I do not know like that because I know it spells trouble. All I did was drop the patch layer, and zoom in on it to adjust its placement. when I zoomed out, I got that surprise. I did the stop animations and teleported home to stop any further attacks or problems, but realized it was okay once I teleported home. This is why I thought I would ask in the forums. Does not make much sense to me how it happened. I will definitely be checking the firestorm things you listed, and thank you. Much appreciated.

Sandbox's are fertile playgrounds for griefer's, who don't always need your permission to enact whatever they're unleashing. Do as Lindal and Loon said and if it still persists, TP a few times and then relog....then find another sandbox.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, malcolmmerlyn1 said:

This is strange because I certainly did NOT accept anything, or click anything to allow and did not sit. I never allow from sources I do not know like that because I know it spells trouble. All I did was drop the patch layer, and zoom in on it to adjust its placement. when I zoomed out, I got that surprise. I did the stop animations and teleported home to stop any further attacks or problems, but realized it was okay once I teleported home. This is why I thought I would ask in the forums. Does not make much sense to me how it happened. I will definitely be checking the firestorm things you listed, and thank you. Much appreciated.

This tools will for example appear in an invisible sphere around you. A single click somewhere and you sit on that thing and weeeeeeeeeeeee ... here we go.
There are more creative ways to get someones permission.
Fact is - without your permission things like that can not happen. So you clicked, sat or wore something and you obviously didn't see it.

• Like 1

I’m glad you techies handled this already. The best advice I came up with involved either (a) sacrificing a prim goat or (b) reciting all the lyrics to Hamilton backwards whilst Baptizing a rabid duck.

.....my loaner-goat is saved for another day now.....

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29af6ba357c734b696c1

Edited by AmandaKeen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

One of my alts was shopping at truth hair a while ago. I was in mouseview and suddenly was pushed very hard to the right. 

I came out of mouseview to find I was running on all fours. A revoke all permissions fixed it, but I saw nothing other than a male avi moving fast.

The system recorded a push so I reported it. My very first griefer report.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1512 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.