Do you do it for the likes?

Zzevir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

like moirakathleen and Pamela said so well on the first page, I'm here for the community. Poor health means I spend most of my time alone so just seeing familiar faces and reading what they have to say means a lot to me. It's also good for my mental health to be able to say things too.

A bit of feedback helps with that sense of community, like the wee nods in face to face conversation. But it can take different forms and I couldn't care less about the counts. The only time I pay attention to anyone's is when I wonder if a poster is trolling.

This whole thing about people posting for likes or to boost post counts, it's never felt like that to me at all. I don't know where it's coming from, though apparently it's mostly in the games and vanity threads. I don't read either regularly so something happening there could easily pass me by. I do try to keep up with the mainland home thread because mainland is such an important part of our curious world and something to be celebrated and encouraged.

• Like 9

There's pizza and gropes?! Darn. I never get the memos (or the pizza, or the gropes).

Perhaps funny, perhaps not, I recently had a very bizarre PM exchange. Out of the blue, as I was minding my own business, I got a PM that stated, in part, "Hey I find that not liking yours or mine pics is so pathetic..." I found that a weird thing to write. But it was true, I haven't been ♥ing the person's photos in a vanity thread. I wrote back, in part, "I hadn't noticed that you didn't like my photos. I don't pay attention as the likes are not important to me." All of this is true. Like many of you have said, I post for other reasons. Feedback is nice and all. Heck, way back in the olden days, we didn't need no stinking points in the Forum, and we posted, uphill, both ways!

Apparently I struck a nerve by stating I hadn't noticed I was being "slighted." :)

The reply I got just made me laugh and shake my head, and this is it in its entirety, "ok keep it up sorry I even tried to get over what was stupid in the first place. Life is too short for this kind of crap. If you didnt care about likes why would you even bother to post it would mean nothing.  You post like everyone else to get a reaction otherwise you would take pics and just look at them yourself so thats ingenuous but it it makes you happy fine." Mmmkaaayyyyyyyy. So clearly this was going nowhere, fast. I replied that the person didn't know why I did or didn't post. I got a few more WTF replies and the "conversation" ended.

So while the bulk of us, at least in this thread don't give a rat's ass about the likes, there are clearly some that stake their very souls upon them. 😵

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/18/2020 at 7:33 AM, Zzevir said:

I must admit that I like seeing the responses when I do something here on the forum. 

So do you post for the likes or just to show of. Or just for your on fun? 

No.  

This is a community.  You can learn things here and sometimes you cannot learn things here.  The cannot learn things here is more in regards to technological questions which can sometimes be misleading or lead you all over the place to be more confused.  Opinions on technology can vary greatly.  I sometimes really need help and I need the right answer.  Sometimes, it just cannot be found....what I am looking for.  One says yes, another says no.   

But, in my start on SL, I can honestly say that Rhonda Huntress, Rolig Loon and Cindy (with the Tinkerbell avatar) helped me a lot...got me going in the right direction that is for sure with very spot on answers.     

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/19/2020 at 1:33 AM, Zzevir said:

I must admit that I like seeing the responses when I do something here on the forum. 

So do you post for the likes or just to show of. Or just for your on fun? 

I post when I have something to say. Some days I rant my butt off have a lot say, others not so much. (Clearly this is one of those days...)

When I first came to the forums I was throwing likes at people like @Rolig Loon and @Penny Patton for their helpful posts regarding scripting. Over time I felt brave enough to start posting my opinions and it felt good to see others like what I had to say. I'll admit it was addictive. I think @Orwar might have hit the nail on the head there; the likes felt like acceptance (even if it was by a bunch of random strangers online I'd never met). But then I fell out with a few people and the proverbial rose-coloured glasses came off. I recognized the likes weren't actually "likes" (or certainly not always); more acknowledgment or a "we heard you" or "we couldn't be bothered to read that long-winded rant but here's a like to pretend we did" type thing. Sometimes I used to feel quite crushed to not get any response to a post I had poured a lot of time into or when I did it would feel like an empty gesture but I suppose that says more about my mentality at the time than it did those posting them. I'll admit I got more invested into it than I should have.

As a forum noob I used to equate lots of likes with popularity or assume someone had earned their stripes so to speak with worthwhile forum contributions. Now I know that's not always the case. When I post likes they aren't always just "likes"; I try to show support and encourage even if I don't always necessarily agree with whatever the post is about - especially for those who help without a heavy dose of negativity or sarcasm. Sometimes I see posts with a lot of likes and can't get my head around why. It doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Realistically there are bigger problems in the world to be concerned about.

Since likes are severely restricted to just a few and human emotion is a complex thing there's too much room for miscommunication. I take all likes that I get with a grain of salt. Absolutely it's great to get a like but to me a written response says more and feels more personal but even that is a double-edged sword. A like is like sending out a Shakespearean Tome and getting a text message "K" back in response. Likes are great. Thanks are better. It brightens my day to think I may have helped in some way or made someone smile. My world doesn't stop revolving if people don't like what I have to say. They can scroll past and move on, simple.

Edited by RaeLeeH
To edit. And fix a typo. Naturally.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.